Thread: Career Of Evil - JK Rowling and BÖC

Career Of Evil - JK Rowling and BÖC

This might have already been mentioned in the "What are you reading" thread but the book I'm currently reading is the third in JK Rowling's detective series (published under the name Robert Galbraith). Titled 'Career Of Evil' it's got a massive BÖC tie-in -the title comes from the 'Secret Treaties' song, various lyrics are quoted at the beginning of each chapter and the lyrics of 'Mistress Of The Salmon Salt' have a special significance in the story. I would never have picked JK Rowling as a BÖC fan
    "One should never magnify the harsh light of reality with the mirror of prose onto the delicate wings of fantasy's butterfly"
    Thumpermonkey - How I Wrote The French Lieutenant's Woman

"I'm content to listen to what I like and keep my useless negative opinions about what I don't like to myself -- because no one is interested in hearing those anyway, and it contributes absolutely nothing to the conversation."
    aith01

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff O'Donoghue View Post
    This might have already been mentioned in the "What are you reading" thread but the book I'm currently reading is the third in JK Rowling's detective series (published under the name Robert Galbraith). Titled 'Career Of Evil' it's got a massive BÖC tie-in -the title comes from the 'Secret Treaties' song, various lyrics are quoted at the beginning of each chapter and the lyrics of 'Mistress Of The Salmon Salt' have a special significance in the story. I would never have picked JK Rowling as a BÖC fan
    Apparently, Stephen King's a big fan too, as he's also dropped a lot of BÖC allusions into his book. King's also an AC/DC fan, which is why Maximum Overdrive featured so many of their songs.

Douglas Adams apparently was a Pink Floyd fan, as a bit of Shine On You Crazy Diamond was used in the original radio version of Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy ("Did your robot can hum just like Pink Floyd"). He later became friends with David Gilmour, who asked him to pick the album of The Division Bell (apparently, they had narrowed it down to three choices, but couldn't get any further with a final decision, so Gilmour asked DNA, who picked the title on the condition that Dave make a donation to his charity). I believe I read that one of the shows Pink Floyd did in London in 1994, DNA actually played guitar onstage, though his guitar was actually unplugged, so the audience couldn't hear anything.

Yea, King has been a big BOC fan for years. There is a version of the "Imaginos" version of "Astronomy" that features King doing the "bedtime story for the children of the dammed" narration on it.

I found it:

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff O'Donoghue View Post
    Loved the book - it was my Christmas read and I could hardly put it down.

Mind you, there's a passage toward the end that makes me wonder whether she is actually a fan.

I don't do spoilers, so will leave it at that

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?