Thread: Motley Crue Drummer Stunt Backfires

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar

Motley Crue Drummer Stunt Backfires

LOL! Holy Spinal Tap, Batman!

He's actually been doing stupid dren like that during his drum solos for 30 years now, and as far as I know, this is the first time anything's even gone wrong. No wait, I take that back. I recall there was one show back in the early 90's, where he fell off his levitating drum riser (which on that particular tour went out into the audience) and broke his arm.

Nope....their farewell tour opened with the first show in Grand Rapids MI (45 minutes from me) and a similar thing happened. In fact the whole show was a trainwreck from what I have heard. There are member of this forum who were there, so maybe they will chime in.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Nope....their farewell tour opened with the first show in Grand Rapids MI (45 minutes from me) and a similar thing happened. In fact the whole show was a trainwreck from what I have heard. There are member of this forum who were there, so maybe they will chime in.
    Maybe that's the real reason why the band's retiring: Tommy's tired of having to do all this stupid stuff during the drum solo.

Motley Crue is one of that short list of sleaze-rock entertainment-outfits that most serious metal fans stop listening to when they reach adulthood and start going to real metal gigs and real metal festivals. Which partly explains why they aren't that popular in Europe and are rarely booked for festivals. The thinking being, why book Motley Crue for good money when you can book good US bands like Metallica, Black Label Society, Megadeth, Slayer etc.

??

Is that a rock concert or a rave?!
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

What an incredible waste of effort (and probably money) - that drum-coaster. But I guess thats what MC was really about. show. I personally have never heard a song from them I liked. I imagine the maintenance on that thing has waned over the decades since Motley Crue last made any real money. - Or are they still raking it in?

It's not enough that they play in drag, they need the drum coaster too! LOL.

no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

The show/flash has always been the thing with these guys. Their actual music is seldom very noteworthy IMHO. Compare their catalogue to the guy they are touring with, Alice Cooper, who had the show and the songs.

This is all very Spinal Tap, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    Keith Emersons spinning piano.
    As was this.

While I understand that the Crue can't be taken all that seriously, they certainly had/have their place. Tommy Lee is a very good drummer and Nikki Sixx definitely has song-writing talent. The first two albums were a huge part of the soundtrack of my high-school life, and I still like and appreciate those albums for what they are. In terms of showmanship, that drum coaster is pretty bad-ass (if it works).

I wonder what will be next. Seperate rollercoaster-like constructions for all group-members?

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    I wonder what will be next.
    The Drum Drone!
    The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off

Quote Originally Posted by mitchgx View Post
    While I understand that the Crue can't be taken all that seriously, they certainly had/have their place. Tommy Lee is a very good drummer and Nikki Sixx definitely has song-writing talent. The first two albums were a huge part of the soundtrack of my high-school life, and I still like and appreciate those albums for what they are. In terms of showmanship, that drum coaster is pretty bad-ass (if it works).
    That's about how I feel about it. They had their place, and I have a playlist of 70s/80s metal that includes their first 2 albums.
    When I went to concerts for bands like that, I went with the intention of having fun, which is the reason most anyone goes. And a drum kit that scrolls through and over the audience would certainly have qualified as fun, even when it breaks down. Maybe even more so. It allowed him to connect to the audience directly in an unplanned way.

Gruno's gonna see this thread, come in here, and chastise the lot of you!

I want to know why the drum solo features non-Motley Crue songs?
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    No doubt. But I would say that I do have that 2-cd best of that came out about 10 years back, so it's not an ignorant dismissal. As with Dream Theater (to make a very inappropriate comparison!), it's one of those cases where the songs, such as they are, would probably connect more with me if they had a different singer. But they don't, so they don't...so to speak.

Nah. Their ignorance has been shown, already!

Plus, this says it all:

Quote Originally Posted by mitchgx View Post
    The Crue are a fun band to watch. I've had countless good times with friends & family at every Crue show I've attended since the mid 80s.

I want to know why the drum solo features non-Motley Crue songs?
    Why not? It's a solo spot. It's what Tommy wants to feature for his part of the show.

Oh, and this stuff isn't any different any of the other stupid stunts other bands have done, most of which have at one time or another involved a mishap. Emerson's stupid piano thing has already been mentioned, but there's loads of others. Off the top of my head:

David Bowie performing Space Oddity sitting in a chair mounted on a camera crane, which on at least one occasion apparently seized up and left Bowie wondering if was going to have to do the entire concert suspended over the audience on the thing.

Peter Gabriel flying over the stage during As Sure As Eggs Is Eggs. He only did it three times because the third time, the guy operating the flying harness caught Peter off guard, resulting in him nearly getting strangled (I think those were the words he used) and having to finish the song hanging upside down.

Then there's all the Kiss things. Gruno surely has more authoritative knowledge of everything they did onstage that didn't quite work, though my favorite is still the occasions back in the 70's when Gene Simmons learned why it's not a good idea to use hair spray if you're gonna be doing fire breathing stunts. The funny part is, it apparently took him several instances before he figured it out.

Tangentially related is the Black Sabbath Born Again tour stage set, which was supposed to be a life sized recreation of Stonehenge. But it turned out to be so big they couldn't even use the entire set because they couldn't fit on the stage! Contrary to popular belief, the Spinal Tap Stonehenge gag actually existed BEFORE this tour happened, so the Sabbath debacle couldn't have inspired the Spinal Tap gag.

As for Tommy Lee playing non-Crue songs during his drum solo, doesn't Neal Wassisname, the guy from Rush (sorry, guys, you know I know what his name is) plays big band music during his drum solo, why shouldn't Tommy Lee play what he wants to during his? I also recall reading that Blue Oyster Cult's bassist (whoever it was on the given tour, which sometime in the 80's) used to slip a few bars of Pink Floyd's Money into his bass solo onstage (I think during Godzilla).

Quote Originally Posted by Yodelgoat View Post
    What an incredible waste of effort (and probably money) - that drum-coaster. But I guess thats what MC was really about. show. I personally have never heard a song from them I liked. I imagine the maintenance on that thing has waned over the decades since Motley Crue last made any real money. - Or are they still raking it in?
    This particular rig was built specifically for their farewell tour that started a little over a year ago. Supposedly the LA show was their last ever. From what I have read the tour has done quite well financially.

Good question at the end...what the fuck did he play after?? He handled it pretty great though!

I still don't get why no one else found this funny: in the Genesis bonus video where the designer gives the band his pitch on the whole big design and idea he's come up with for the stage platform that the whole band rises up on and sort of flies around on, and then one of them tells him Tony Banks is afraid of heights so that idea is out. I don't know, I thought that was hilarious.

it's a good thing it was the last show, because those guys are pretty much fired.