Thread: Laurence Juber: guitarist

Laurence Juber: guitarist

Many years ago, I heard him fingerpicking "Martha My Dear" on Scott Muni's "Ticket to Ride" radio show on WNEW (ny).
    I was very impressed at his skill & wonder why he gets practically no mentions. The guy is amazing.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Yes, sounds nice.

I'm a huge fan - ever since hearing him on a Fingerstyle Guitar magazine tape playing - Pass the Buck - a DADGAD piece - which seems to be quite a popular tune for guitarists to try to master - judging by the number of covers on YouTube.
    I was speaking to the guys over at the Cutting Room in New York and they are interested in getting him to play there - that would be awesome the Cutting Room is next door to my office!

I love that style of guitar playing and he's very good at it! I can play several styles, but when I hear those fingerpicking (Travis-picking) guys playing solo, it makes me feel like I don't know shit about playing guitar... and that's what I do for a living!

My favorite of that "ilk" is Tommy Emmanuel. Since this thread started off with Laurence playing a Beatles tune, I'll post one of Tommy's Beatles medleys first:

And here's one of his originals; nice demonstration of the speed and grace he incorporates into that Travis-picking style:

I remember he was Paul McCartney's guitarist in the late 70's/early 80's, he is no joke on 6 strings!
    Never play slap bass around bears, you'll make them VERY angry.