Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: IQ-Your Top 5

Quote Originally Posted by arise_shine View Post
    1. Ever
    2. The Wake
    3. More Than Meets the Eye
    4. (everything else)
    5. Subterranea

Yes, Subt. is my least favorite IQ album. Way too long, not nearly enjoyable music. And dare I say it .. pretentious. It wants to be the big epic doubple-album, but it's just ... long. And boring. So in that sense, if they were trying to make their own version of Lamb or Topographical, they succeeded in creating another long, boring, bloated, pretentious doubple-album. Good job!

IMO, of course. If you happen to like it, cool. I'm glad you have something you enjoy. Not my cuppa, is all.
    1. Subterranea
    2. Ever
    3. The Wake
    4. Seventh House
    5. Road of Bones

Isn't More Than Meets the Eye a Jadis album. Not complaining as I do like it as well as Across The Water. Had a great discussion with Martin Orford and John Jowitt at 2004 Rosfest about all things Jadis and IQ. I'm pining for the day that those two would rejoin IQ but I'm sure that won't happen.

I was wondering if someone would call me out on that. Yeah, it has the name Jadis on it, but it's kinda like an IQ album. And I like it a lot, so, yeah.

And oddly enough, Subterranea came out right as I was first discovering this whole "prog" thing, and was my first exposure to the band. However, despite it being my first exposure to the band, it just didn't do anything for me. But then I heard The Wake and Ever, and for whatever reason, those clicked with me. I think it's just stronger music, more manageably sized. And I love the "edge" on The Wake. Despite (or maybe because of) the "recorded in a dead basement" sound of it.
    flute juice

Ever. One of the finest "Neo-progressive" Rock albums.
    The Seventh House
    The Wake
    Dark Matter
    Subterannea
    Be a loyal plastic robot for a world that doesn't care... Frank Zappa

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    I'm sort of in the same boat. At the time it came out I remember thinking "This bit was lifted from that song on Ever" and "This bit is a rehash of that song on The Wake". Very little of it sounded fresh or innovative in the way Ever or the earlier albums did. Add in the incomprehensible narrative and it's one of IQ's albums I reach for the least. I'm hoping the movie helps shed light on what the heck it's all about.

But I think for folks who discovered IQ in the early 90s it was probably a big ol' bucket of meaty neo-prog that then invited them to explore the back catalog. And it helped propel the band through the next decade or so, which is great.

But yeah... not my cuppa either.
    But...but...he wore a mask and all...

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    I'm surprized to see any kind of support for Nomzano and Sitting Comfortably.... I thought everyone IQ head hated those albums
    They're at the bottom of the list for me. I don't "hate" them per se but I really have no desire to listen to them. Menel just doesn't do anything for me as a vocalist. I like the tunes when they perform them live with Nicholls on vocals. I love his voice, compelling and packed with emotion. I also respect that he doesn't have any reservations about performing songs from when he wasn't in the band.
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

I don't even need those two (don't own them anymore) ., but that's about how far I will go with them.

I'm surprized to see any kind of support for Nomzano and Sitting Comfortably.... I thought everyone IQ head hated those albums
    “Comfortably” is my least favorite IQ album, but I do like about half of it. As for “Nomzamo”, I have always really dug it. “No Love Lost”, “Human Nature”, “Common Ground” are some of my favorite IQ tracks ever.

Ever
    Dark Matter
    Subterranea
    The Wake
    Tales From The Lush Attic

Of course cant go wrong with ANY IQ effort..

[QUOTE=arise_shine;504328]I was wondering if someone would call me out on that. Yeah, it has the name Jadis on it, but it's kinda like an IQ album. And I like it a lot, so, yeah.

I agree that Jadis material fits nicely with IQ at that time. They have changed, as they should have, with different members than Martin and JJ. The thing I appreciate about Subterranea is how they keep re introducing previous themes periodically with different instrumentation and dynamics. I don't imagine everyone sees it the way I do. I think it has great flow to the effort. But hey, whatever makes the world go round for an individual. I think you said it before. Good that it gives those individuals enjoyment.

I really only count six bad songs between them: “Promises,” “Passing Strangers,” “Screaming,” “Drive On,” “Sold on You” and “Through My Fingers.” That’s actually a minority of both albums. The rest is pretty solid (though I could never get into “Common Ground,” it just never seemed to develop into anything much), unless you count the rather cheesy duet “Colourflow” (a bonus track on some editions of Nomzamo).
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...