Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommend Some Old-Time Music

Recommend Some Old-Time Music

Ever since I read a book on collectors of 78s I've been nosing around pre-rock n' roll era music. I'm curious as to what fellow PE members might have to recommend be jazz, pop, blues, etc.

18775418.jpg
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Robert Crumb is a big fan of old time music and is a musician as well as an artist:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...Cpopular%2C203

The British JSP label has tons of stuff. I have their Charlie Parker box, and two of the Fats Waller boxes. They also have contemporary recordings. http://www.jsprecords.com/ They are a budget label, but they do a much better job on the re-issues than a lot of the super cheap public domain labels that compile those "8 Classic Albums" type releases that are pretty cheesy.

Another good label for blues is Arhoolie Records. http://www.arhoolie.com/

If you're into vinyl, go to flea markets. A lot of vendors at these places have no idea what this stuff is worth and you can pick up rare 78s and lps for pennies. A friend of mine just bought an unopened jazz collection of garnet red vinyl lps housed in beautiful cases for 10 bucks! It features everything from Armstrong and Ellington, to Thelonious Monk. About 20 lps worth of stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Reid View Post
    If you're into vinyl, go to flea markets. A lot of vendors at these places have no idea what this stuff is worth and you can pick up rare 78s and lps for pennies.
    Excellent suggestion. For this type of stuff the vinyl format is probably preferred, as the surface noise is part of the appeal.

Regarding 78s though, be aware that modern turntables usually won't play them, and you need the special larger 78 needle.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post

Regarding 78s though, be aware that modern turntables usually won't play them, and you need the special larger 78 needle.
    Yeah. By buddy Ken has collected a couple hundred 78s picked up at flea markets, but he has to buy a new turntable.

I think the oldest album I have is Art Tatum's "Piano Solos" on Decca (1945). I can heartily recommend it!

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    I think the oldest album I have is Art Tatum's "Piano Solos" on Decca (1945). I can heartily recommend it!
    When I sold my vinyl collection recently it had a number of classical and jazz albums from the 1940s (my father's) as well as about thirty 10" LPs and 78s from the '20s and '30s, including original Enrico Caruso, Rudy Vallee, and others (my grandparents'). Unfortunately they were all beat to shit.

I love the war songs and music hall of the Golden Age 1880 -1914 and the WWI period.
    As well as very early Irish tenors and Irish folk music.
    But in the last couple of years I've really been getting into some seriously old bluegrass, mountain music and American folk music.
    As well as some of the really old French Louisiana Cajun music - as opposed to zydeco.
    Last edited by PeterG; 01-03-2016 at 11:54 AM.

Easily one of my favorite musicians. Zappa, Fripp, Reinhardt. In some sort of order.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

For blues, any Chess Records compilation is great.
    For jazz, ever hear Django Reinhardt on guitar? Try the album Djangology, featuring Django and violinist Stéphane Grappelli.
    "And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

Get a good compilation of Cab Calloway.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

The oldest recording I have on LP is a 1902 recording of Pagliacci with Enrico Caruso, that said it is a 1970s re-release on modern vinyl.

Those are great deals! I used to have some Django on vinyl, but (as I've said many times here) my vinyl collection is long gone. He was an amazing musician (even without considering his major handicap; his badly burned and deformed left hand); truly the godfather of jazz guitar.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar

There are lots of current bands that play "old time" music - blues, jazz, Appalachian, etc. One of my favorite is the East River String Band

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...er+string+band

Oh, yeah. You gotta get you some Robert Johnson.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Oh I got me some Robert Johnson. Skip James too.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

One musician to look for is Roy Smeck. Amazing vaudevillian guitar/uke/lap steel/banjo player. He played into the 50s and died at 94 in 1994. There are a number of compilations of his out there (http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...ords=Roy+Smeck).
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.