Thread: Arthur Lee & Love live box set?

Arthur Lee & Love live box set?

http://www.amazon.com/Coming-Thru-Li...B6D6NE5BA1AT82

"The box set is a collection of rare live recordings from 1970-2004 released by RockBeat Records and produced by David Skye, with the blessing and participation of Diane Lee. For the first time a large collection of Arthur Lee & Love live recordings are being made available to the public. The discs feature performances recorded at various venues worldwide, throughout the 1970's to 2004."

Looks interesting. Is it?
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

It could be the most uninteresting box set ever and it's still an autobuy for the biggest Arthur/Love junkie on this board!

Oh, thanks!!
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

I figured you'd chime in when you saw this, 'geezer. Let us know what you think about it when you get it.

I also noticed that Reel to Real got an expanded edition. I don't know anything from the second and beyond versions of Love. What's (actually, not compulsively) essential?

Ordered!
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    I figured you'd chime in when you saw this, 'geezer. Let us know what you think about it when you get it.

I also noticed that Reel to Real got an expanded edition. I don't know anything from the second and beyond versions of Love. What's (actually, not compulsively) essential?
    Will report back. I've never been much of a fan of Arthur's R & B excursions, and always considered it a move on his part to affirm the blackness part of his "mulatto soul so rare". His muse of course, but it's the psych Arthur (pretty much only the first 4 albums), plus Bryan MacLean's 2 solo albums that really make me happy everytime I listen, to this day.

If you listen to Bryan's solo work, it becomes patently obvious to the more than casual Love fan that his personal popularity and appreciation for his talent was held back by Arthur's massive ego. e.g., Bryan wrote "Alone Again Or" alone (no pun intended), but Arthur sang it (against Bryan's wishes, which was a huge part of the split). "Softly To Me" and "Old Man" are both beautiful songs that Bryan wrote AND sang.

But, for perspective, when the sun set, there was still only one genius in this band.

Looks interesting. I may have to spring for this as a memento of the gig I caught in '70.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

although I am initially interested, I will wait to hear what Geezer has to say about this one. There have been so many live releases lately and the sound quality was so poor it's no wonder they weren't released before now.

Quote Originally Posted by R_burke View Post
    although I am initially interested, I will wait to hear what Geezer has to say about this one. There have been so many live releases lately and the sound quality was so poor it's no wonder they weren't released before now.
    OK, it came yesterday and I've listened to the first 2 discs (of 4).

Totally and completely worth it IF you don't mind inconsistency. Just listening to half of it so far, there are Arthur/acoustic guitar only versions of too many songs from Love, Da Capo, Forever Changes & Four Sail to list individually that have very good sound all the way, with Arthur in killer vocal form, to self-indulgent blues jams with muddied sound, as well as well-recorded blues that is among the best blues stuff I've ever heard from Arthur.

If you look at it like Forest's box of chocolates (& I reiterate, this is based on 50% of it), then I recommend spending the $.

I still haven't listened to half of it, but $32 is well worth the price of admission for me.

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    OK, it came yesterday and I've listened to the first 2 discs (of 4).

Totally and completely worth it IF you don't mind inconsistency. Just listening to half of it so far, there are Arthur/acoustic guitar only versions of too many songs from Love, Da Capo, Forever Changes & Four Sail to list individually that have very good sound all the way, with Arthur in killer vocal form, to self-indulgent blues jams with muddied sound, as well as well-recorded blues that is among the best blues stuff I've ever heard from Arthur.

If you look at it like Forest's box of chocolates (& I reiterate, this is based on 50% of it), then I recommend spending the $.

I still haven't listened to half of it, but $32 is well worth the price of admission for me.
    Thanks, I will add to my list based on this, but if the other 50% turns out to be crap, please let us know

Hmmm. Sounds like a pass for me.

OK, last update now that I've been through all 4 discs.

Good Charlotte (pun of course intended), you may want to reconsider. Sides #3 & #4 are markedly better than 1 & 2, and I really love the 1st 2. Highlights (of the whole 4 disc thing) are:

As I posted earlier, both acoustic (& also new elec.) versions of many songs on the first 4 albums

The entire Forever Changes concert (owned by many here on dvd) in London w/Baby Lemonade (New Love), horns & strings, with some songs (I could swear) recorded at different gigs, along with a stripped down hornless, stringless version of "You Set The Scene" w/Baby L that is a different rockin' animal altogether

A version of the girl group the Bobettes song "Mr. Lee", only done in reggae with the melody of Bob M's "Stir It Up" (Johnny who?)

A slam dunk version of his good friend Jimi's "Little Wing" that f*****g obliterates Clapton's

Live versions of some of AL's deeper tracks, like "Your Mind & We Belong Together", "Que Vida" (at one point during QV, Arthur yells out, "Hey Rico, don't forget that margarita!"), "Stephanie", "My Flash On You", "Message To Pretty", "She Comes In Colors" and others

"Smokestack Lightning", obviously recorded quite a while ago, with Johnny Echols and Don ("Signed DC") Conka that's 8:01

Ten minute killer live version of "Singing Cowboy"

OK, I'm done.

Thanks for the review Geezer! I'm sold on it.

Quote Originally Posted by philsunset View Post
    Thanks for the review Geezer! I'm sold on it.
    Me too