Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Live releases from 70s Finnish prog groups

Live releases from 70s Finnish prog groups

An interesting bit of news that has circulated widely in the Finnish media:
    Svart Records will be releasing two series of live recordings from the 1970s Finnish rock and jazz groups, many of which should be of interest to progressive rock fans.

The so called Pop Liisa and Jazz Liisa series of albums have been taken from the archives of the Finnish Broadcasting Corporation YLE, and consist of studio concerts recorded between 1972 and 1977. They were broadcast in the Popstudio and Jazzstudio radio shows, but have since then laid buried in the archives, save for some material used on compilations. There are apparently tracks that were never recorded elsewhere, as some groups never even made an album.

There are currently 24 titles announced, all but a couple of them dedicated to a specific act, with further releases possibly projected. From the Pop Liisa list, you can find at least Tasavallan Presidentti, Wigwam (from 1973, so this the ”art rock” line-up and not the later ”deep pop” version), Jukka Hauru, Kalevala, Nimbus, Finnforest and Elonkorjuu. One of the bands that didn't leave official studio releases behind, Taivaanvuohi, is also described as having been ”stubbornly progressive”. Jazz Liisa's releases of Jukka Tolonen, Jupu Group and Unisono may also interest some folks around here. The albums will be released on both vinyl and CD, starting from March 2016.

Here is some cover art of the albums: http://www.soundi.fi/uutiset/svart-r...omia-herkkuja/

I have GOT to hear Finnforest live - after covering Paikalliset Tuulet for Tuonen Tytar II, I'm dying to hear a live recording of that drummer.

You have my attention.

No Haikara??
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Does this mean we’ll get archival live releases by Nimbus, Jupu Group and Unisono before we get their official studio albums reissued?

Taivaanvuohi have my attention.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Tasavallan Presidentti

Lambert Land is a Desert Island Disc
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    Does this mean we’ll get archival live releases by Nimbus, Jupu Group and Unisono before we get their official studio albums reissued?
    Nimbus and Unisono have been reissued on CD by Rocket Records, and both discs should still be available. Shadoks will also release Obus on vinyl.
    No word on Jupu Group, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    No Haikara??
    Not in this first batch. Haikara did record a Popstudio concert and the tapes still exist (not all performances recorded over the years have survived). You can hear a rendition of "Manala", as well as several other tracks from various acts here:

http://yle.fi/aihe/artikkeli/2013/08...venyi-ja-venyi

I understand that there will be more releases after the first 24, especially if these sell well. There is a good chance that we shall still hear Haikara take off in concert.

Quote Originally Posted by strawberrybrick View Post
    Tasavallan Presidentti

Lambert Land is a Desert Island Disc
    This is one of the best rock albums to ever come out of Northern Europe.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Kai View Post
    Not in this first batch. Haikara did record a Popstudio concert and the tapes still exist (not all performances recorded over the years have survived). You can hear a rendition of "Manala", as well as several other tracks from various acts here:

http://yle.fi/aihe/artikkeli/2013/08...venyi-ja-venyi

I understand that there will be more releases after the first 24, especially if these sell well. There is a good chance that we shall still hear Haikara take off in concert.
    Sounds promising (thanks for the link, BTW)

Not saying I won't be interested in some Tasa or Finnf, but Haikara is my Finnish band of choice. (at least their first two albums)
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

As far as I understood from another forum, Svart didn't get the permission for Haikara. And yes, there are some Popstudio/YLE/something concert tapes of Haikara, I've heard two cd-r's. One was recorded at Popstudio 10/10/72, and another was live at Finlandiatalo 28/08/71.

J

Wow those samples sound awesome, I didn't expect such high quality.

I'm sure I will get a lot of those.

Finnforest is awesome but I really hope for the Haikara one to be released too.

Quote Originally Posted by JarkkoH View Post
    As far as I understood from another forum, Svart didn't get the permission for Haikara. And yes, there are some Popstudio/YLE/something concert tapes of Haikara, I've heard two cd-r's. One was recorded at Popstudio 10/10/72, and another was live at Finlandiatalo 28/08/71.

J

Quote Originally Posted by JarkkoH View Post
    As far as I understood from another forum, Svart didn't get the permission for Haikara.
    Too bad. Like Trane, I value Haikara's first album highly. Apparently, they were the only act in this series who didn't give their consent.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    This is one of the best rock albums to ever come out of Northern Europe.
    And I thought Being was amazing...

Great to read that Finnish radio vault will get plundered. I have immensely enjoyed the similar box of Swedish radio sessions so I am in again!

Will the releases be available through Svart Records' website?

I also wonder if Danish or Norwegian radio follows suit.
    Last edited by Jay.Dee; 01-02-2016 at 12:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay.Dee View Post
    Will the releases be available through Svart Records' website?
    Probably they will be. On Facebook, someone asked whether they would be available through Bandcamp, and the label confirmed that they would also be released as downloads.

Svart Records have a solid distribution, they can normally be found on Amazon etc. easily (at least in Europe)

Nice prices on the cd's right now at Svart's website.

Interestingly, all LPs are packaged in a box that is priced at 190 Euros, but the CDs are not. Still, 15 Euro for double albums is decent:

http://svartrecords.com/shoppe/searc...submit_search=

I wonder though, will Laser Edge or Wayside carry these?

Quote Originally Posted by strawberrybrick View Post

"Frank Robson, like Jim Pembroke before him, was a London Mod who came to Finland and decided to stay. He got his start playing in various local bands in the south of England such as The Sons of Mad, The Swinging Machine and The Lower Third, also working occasionally as a session musician for bands such as The Artwoods and The Ivy League. The high point of early career was a brief spell as organist in The Small Faces between the terms of Jimmy Winston and Ian McLagan.

After moving to Helsinki at the urging of a few Finns he had met in London, in September 1967 Robson joined the new and coming Mosaic -- which also included bassist Olli Könönen from the legendary but unrecorded Creatures -- as vocalist and organist. This resulted in his first record, the psychedelic "Happier Man", which uncannily foreshadows the Scandinavian progressive rock style so pervasive in Finland in the early '70s. Robson soon left Mosaic to take Jim Pembroke's place in the last stages of Blues Section. In 1969, with Blues Section bassist Måns Groundstroem, he founded the progressive jazz-rock band Tasavallan Presidentti, who soon gained both national and international renown, recording two classic albums before Robson was replaced by Eero Raittinen in 1973. Robson has since made occasional solo albums and worked in various roles in the Finnish music business, also recently reviving Tasavallan Presidentti for the odd gig and live album."
    "Beethoven can write music, thank God, but he can do nothing else on earth. ". Ludwig van Beethoven