Thread: PENTATONIX!!

PENTATONIX!!

I've got a feeling that this old man is waaaaay late to the party, but for anyone who appreciates acapella harmony and hasn't found them until now (like me)....HOLY SHIT!!

I even emailed Simon & the rest of Moon Safari on the off chance that they hadn't heard them yet, but I doubt it.

I put this on the main board, coz' imo this band (I didn't use the word "group" intentionally) personifies small "p" progressive. It's easy to forget that it's 5 human voices, no auto-tune, no tricks, with an Israeli Jew whose bass lines are amazing, and an African-American whose beat-boxing is just as impressive. They are both also singing in the harmony mix when required. All 5 (4 male, 1 female) sing lead. Just check 'em out live on Youtube.

For me, a new find (bought 4 albums already today), but for some I'd imagine old hat. I'm surprised I never noticed any previous discussion about them here, but I probably just don't remember.

What say you (that is, if you have anything to say)?
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

I saw them on a late night talk show. They were really good. They popped up later at the ACM show(believe it or not) but I missed it.

There aren't that many all vocal(ie acapella) groups I can think of. I think even Manhattan Transfer had a back up band.

I'm a fan, and my daughter is an uber-fan. Loved 'em since I saw them on The Sing-Off. The female lead singer is outstanding, and their version of the song from Frozen, "Let it Go," is just excellent.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

They are definitely really good at what they do. I caught them on the Sing-Off and liked most of their performances (although I remember being disappointed with their version of "Video Killed the Radio Star" for some reason that I can't remember). The bass is a REAL bass, and that's always refreshing, and the beat boxer really is phenomenal. I do feel the two male vocal leads use a little too much pop/boy-band vocal styling for my taste, which is sometimes manifest in a Boys-II-Men-like nasal delivery or Christina-Aguilara-like vocal acrobatics. Still, they are VERY talented and deserve the recognition.
    ProgEars and other prog posters & prints: http://www.michaelphipps.net
    .*AWAKEN*. gentle
    MASS -touch-

Quote Originally Posted by ProgArtist View Post
    I do feel the two male vocal leads use a little too much pop/boy-band vocal styling for my taste, which is sometimes manifest in a Boys-II-Men-like nasal delivery or Christina-Aguilara-like vocal acrobatics.
    Agreed.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Objectively, I can't argue with ZW or SB. IMO they're right.

However, for a vocalist weaned on acapella doo-wop before he learned guitar & went off to folk then rock land, way too much killer music going on to give a shit subjectively.

The rhythm section alone is worth it.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

I'd heard the name, but never heard them, so I checked some of their stuff out on YT. They're very good... but they'll never beat Take 6 as my favorite a capella group. Their arrangements just aren't as funky or harmonically hip. Still, I like them!

I don't disagree there either, Ernie. I would also say that in addition to Take 6, I would place The Persuasions of the 70's & 80s (not since) right up there.

Did I just hijack my own thread?

Talented yes.
    Satisfying in smaller doses.
    I liked The Bobs for a while back when they were "Fresh" They used some instruments and studio magic.
    The Nylons were ok too.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

They were the best band to come out of The Sing-Off, and keep on proving it. I really enjoy them.

Another (mostly) a cappella band I enjoy is Van Canto. A cappella Power Metal. Lots of fun.

Sent from my LG-D500 using Tapatalk

Just out of curiosity are there any acapella albums released before Todd Rundgren's "Acapella" in 1985? Bobby Mcferrin's "simple pleasures" was 1988.

They had them singing Xmas carols on one of the cable TV channels. I guess it was alright. The vocal harmonies were pretty good, as you say. I coulda lived without the mouth percussion, though.

Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    Talented yes.
    Satisfying in smaller doses.
    I liked The Bobs for a while back when they were "Fresh" They used some instruments and studio magic.
    The Nylons were ok too.
    I think The Bobs were the group I saw on a Beatles special on PBS back in the 90's. They had various artists doing Beatles songs, and (I think) The Bobs did this great rendition of Strawberry Fields Forever, with just their voices, complete with the false ending and surprise coda. Sounded awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    Just out of curiosity are there any acapella albums released before Todd Rundgren's "Acapella" in 1985? Bobby Mcferrin's "simple pleasures" was 1988.
    Literally hundreds of acapella albums by doo-wop groups beginning in the late 1950s. The doo-wop songs that got radio airplay all had a band backing the vox, but a slew of groups, whether Black, Hispanic or White, preferred the purity (& the 1950s equivalent of ramen noodles & peanut butter for meals) of acapella.

Yep. George Carlin has a good bit on the Occupation: Foole longplay about the doo-wop groups that would just hang out on street corners.

That such a question as Digital_Man's could even be asked is a perfect example of how thoroughly the history of pop music (and especially minority pop music ... somehow Sinatra and company stay popular) gets erased.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

As for Pentatonix - they're the shit. My daughter introduced me to them and I love 'em.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

>> no auto-tune

Sadly, not correct (check out latest Sound-On-Sound).
    But Pentatonix are really talented and awesome arrangement-wise, no-one comes close. They killed it on "Sing Off", that was a great season.

Sometimes one needs to investigate further beyond just one article.

But, to quote Dan, they're (still) the shit.

My daughter turned me on to them, her music teacher played them in class and she played them for me. Excellent stuff