https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qby0ed4aVpo

"Creativity is not a talent. It is not a talent, it is a way of operating."

Transcribed:
    https://github.com/tjluoma/John-Clee...cript.markdown

Fabulous!
    I need this.
    Thank you!

Nice post. Thanks!

Intrigued by the open/closed mode part. Maybe it's about being self conscious: In closed (work) mode one is under pressure and self aware of performing; whereas in open (play) mode, one is free to be absorbed in the activity without considering what and how you're doing. Or maybe Cleese said as much.

Quote Originally Posted by señormoment View Post
    Intrigued by the open/closed mode part. Maybe it's about being self conscious: In closed (work) mode one is under pressure and self aware of performing; whereas in open (play) mode, one is free to be absorbed in the activity without considering what and how you're doing. Or maybe Cleese said as much.
    That is my take. And that seems the case for me.

Thanks for that! I think it may actually help me to figure out how to break out of my (song)writer's block.

What he describes as the open/closed mode, is similar to what you do in Brainstorming as method.

Phase 1 (like 1 hour) where any idea (no matter how insane) will be accepted and noted with no raised eyebrows at all, because it might give rise to other ideas/associations, where some might be usefull, and wouldnt have popped up if you had thought carefully or censored yourself. If you dont get good ideas, it sometimes helps to change seats, take a short break outside the room and start again. Critisism in this phase is strictly forbidden. All ideas are potentially good and therefore equal.

Phase 2 is about considering the usefullness of the ideas, here you are rational and are allowed to discuss and critisize, etc.
    These 2 phases must never be mixed.

Probably better explained here: http://www.isixsigma.com/tools-templ...torming-rules/ or http://www.brainstorming.co.uk/tutor...mingrules.html

John Cleese is wise and fun too - they dont make them quite like that anymore.

Posts like this make me realize I need to come visit the OT board more often. Thanks for sharing, Zeuhlmate!
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

Quote Originally Posted by proggy_jazzer View Post
    Posts like this make me realize I need to come visit the OT board more often. Thanks for sharing, Zeuhlmate!
    THIS!

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Yes. Thanks for posting. I can't remember the title but I read a book that Cleese wrote about 10 years ago on his philosophy on life/family.

Fantastic, thanks for posting this

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Yes. Thanks for posting. I can't remember the title but I read a book that Cleese wrote about 10 years ago on his philosophy on life/family.
    Perhaps: Families and How to Survive Them - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Famili...o_Survive_Them

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    What he describes as the open/closed mode, is similar to what you do in Brainstorming as method.

Phase 1 (like 1 hour) where any idea (no matter how insane) will be accepted and noted with no raised eyebrows at all, because it might give rise to other ideas/associations, where some might be usefull, and wouldnt have popped up if you had thought carefully or censored yourself. If you dont get good ideas, it sometimes helps to change seats, take a short break outside the room and start again. Critisism in this phase is strictly forbidden. All ideas are potentially good and therefore equal.

Phase 2 is about considering the usefullness of the ideas, here you are rational and are allowed to discuss and critisize, etc.
    These 2 phases must never be mixed.
    Brainstorming, when followed correctly, can be very useful. My experience is that it rarely is. Too many people are either unqualified to participate, don't get the "There's no such thing as a bad idea because they can inspire great one" concept, or simply fall in line to agree with the boss' idea, no matter how dumb it really is. Politics tend to come into play far too often. And, they try to accomplish everything in one round. It never works that way. You need to be able to walk away from it, kick things around on your own, and come back later with a fresh mind and expanded thoughts to build upon.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"