Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: What's an album that would surprise people to know you've never heard?

Progstreaming-webmaster Sunhillow's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    I get that, but the downloads aren't cheap (they are like $15 apiece for the Sing To God discs on iTunes) and I can think of more than a few real, physical CDs I could get for $30. And on top of that, when Cardiacs ARE reissued, I'll just buy them again! So, I'd rather wait it out. As a poor college student, I've got to be carefull with my money.
    Although I know a lot of people here are against downloading for free/illegal, but in this case I just can't stand the fact that it's not even open for discussion. Surely OOP-CDs could and should be shared, if not through illegal methods, than through Dropbox and the like? The market should respond to us properly (but reissuing these albums) instead of mocking about so-called 'lost sales' or - worse - the attitude that's "It's illegal, so I won't go there". Bothers me a lot. That's not to say I condone illegal downloading, but this is just awkward.

Anyway, I only have A Little Man in 192kB. But I'm sure someone can help you with Sing PI&II. Donate 2 $ to that Cardiac Foundation, if your conscience is still bothering you.

Sorry for the rant! Carry on!

^ I have no problem accepting or giving copies of CDs. I buy 100's dollars worth of CDs a year, not to mention audio equipment, instruments, live events, etc. In short, I do my part to support the music industry, so accepting or giving a copied disc is not a problem once in awhile (though my friends and I have an agreement - if you like it, buy it eventually). I just don't like to listen to downloads and if I pay for music, I feel cheated if I don't have a physical copy to show for my money.

I agree with you, though, that if a title isn't in print, the band / company can't really grumble too much when people illegally download it. How could they?

Progstreaming-webmaster Sunhillow's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    ^ I have no problem accepting or giving copies of CDs. I buy 100's dollars worth of CDs a year, not to mention audio equipment, instruments, live events, etc. In short, I do my part to support the music industry, so accepting or giving a copied disc is not a problem once in awhile (though my friends and I have an agreement - if you like it, buy it eventually). I just don't like to listen to downloads and if I pay for music, I feel cheated if I don't have a physical copy to show for my money.

I agree with you, though, that if a title isn't in print, the band / company can't really grumble too much when people illegally download it. How could they?
    A little man and a house is from 1988, isn't it? So 2013 should be a perfect 25th anniversary reason. Now who holds the rights to this album, and where's the likely place to find the master? So we could set up something, spam the owners, find a label. I'm thinking: Jacob Holm's Termo Records. They could distribute this to a 1000-unit moderate success. I think.

Huge Genesis fan and have always heard that Marillion was majorly influenced by PG Genesis. Figured I would stick with the original, thanks very much. I only have one Marillion album, 6 of One Half a dozen of the Other which I played about twice 10 years ago. Well, I was listening to Spotify and heard 4 fantastic Marillion, 2 from each era. All excellent. I have some cd shopping to do!
    Last edited by Tangram; 01-20-2013 at 03:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangram View Post
    I was listening to Spotify and heard 4 fantastic Marillion, 2 from each era. All excellent. I have some cd shopping to do!
    Excellent! Enjoy the discoveries! You have much to learn.

As per my original post, I finally ordered Amon Duul II's Carnival In Babylon (coincidentally along with the new Marillion biography). So now at least I complete the 'string' of the first five or six albums.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I've never heard anything by The Band except "The Last Waltz." I had a roommate who used to play it every single morning in college, and I hated hearing it. So I've resisted The Band all my life since then.

I have never heard Yes-Relayer or ELP-Love Beach.
    "and what music unites, man should not take apart"-Helmut Koellen

Never heard any Genesis album, start to finish. Marillion. Not much Yes. Tons of the lesser known 'classics' that folks mention here. Someday maybe, meanwhile lots of other genres I also enjoy & only so much time...

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Excellent! Enjoy the discoveries! You have much to learn.

Care to post personal favs, 1 from each era

Quote Originally Posted by Tangram View Post
    Care to post personal favs, 1 from each era
    Sure. Clutching At Straws is my favourite of the Fish-era, Brave is my favourite from the early h-era and Marbles from the last ten years.

I don't know that I recommend Brave as a starting point though, as it's kind of like suggesting The Lamb or Topographic Oceans to someone who has never heard those bands. It's very dense. Perhaps Seasons Endis the best choice for early h-era.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by presdoug View Post
    I have never heard ELP-Love Beach.
    ...you are one lucky man...

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Perhaps Seasons Endis the best choice for early h-era.
    I agree with both of your main choices, but as a starter for the H-era, I'd go with 'Afraid Of Sunlight'