Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What's an album that would surprise people to know you've never heard?

What's an album that would surprise people to know you've never heard?

For a lot of us who have lived and breathed music their whole lives (like me), there are occasional songs, albums, or even bands that fly under our radar. There simply isn't enough listening time in one lifetime to fit it all in, especially when you want to re-listen to so many albums you already know and love. I think I probably have more free listening time than a lot of people, being that we don't have children and my wife and I work opposite shifts a few days a week. Not to mention, I am able to listen to several hours of music each day at work.

So, I'll cut to the chase: even after endless listening and constant stacks of Albums/Tapes/CDs in the 'In' pile over the years, I still have yet to hear Carnival In Babylon by Amon Duul II. On my shelf can be found Phallus Dei, Yeti, Tanz Der Lemminge and Wolf City, but Carnival has somehow eluded me over the years - I just never got around to picking it up or even sampling it - and that's from someone who genuinely enjoys the four Amon Duul II albums that DO reside in his collection. Isn't that strange? I think it's high time () I ordered that one finally.

And you lot? What's an album would surprise people to know you've never even heard? I expect some answers that will blow mine out of the water.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Pawn Hearts. I have to check it out eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    Pawn Hearts. I have to check it out eventually.
    Ding ding ding ding! First response is already a mind-blower.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I hadn't heard Yes' "Drama" album until a few weeks ago.

Selling England By The Pound. The other Genesis albums bored me far too much to bother with it.

Although hearing bits & pieces of them, and also owning both Khan's Space Shanty album and numerous female-fronted band music, I've never heard any album by either Gong or The Gathering.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by Obarmoth View Post
    Selling England By The Pound. The other Genesis albums bored me far too much to bother with it.
    This. I don't think I have heard ANY Genesis albums in their entirety! I've heard the individual songs that got airplay on FM radio back in the 70's (Carpet Crawlers, Dance on a Volcano, etc.) and while I thought they were decent I was never blown away enough by the band to want to get an album.
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Bands..

Marillion
    Dream Theatre
    Mars Volta
    IQ
    Spocks Beard
    Echolyn
    Magenta
    Porcupine Tree
    Mars Hollow
    Astra
    Wobbler......
    Last edited by walt; 01-07-2013 at 01:03 PM.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Confession time? Any pre-HOT RATS Zappa/Mothers. Yeah, any of it.
    There, I said it.

(scuffs toe of sneaker in the dirt and blushes)
    High Vibration Go On - R.I.P. Chris Squire

I'm keeping it to myself to surprise you all later.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Other than individual songs I've heard on the radio before managing to change channels:

Pet Sounds or any other Beach Boys albums.
    1999 (I think that's an album title) or any other Prince album.

There are probably a bunch of other critically-acclaimed artists that I can't stand that could go on this list, too.

KC - Beat; Three of A Perfect Pair
    PF - post-WYWH
    Yes - post-Relayer
    ELP - post-BSS
    The Who - Quadrophenia
    Kansas - everything, except Masque
    Rush - everything
    Queen - I've heard only the radio hits
    Last edited by mogrooves; 01-07-2013 at 12:03 PM.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

I've borrowed these albums in the past and am familiar with them, but I don't own them and probably never listened to them all the way through more than once or twice:

Led Zeppelin- IV
    Pink Floyd- Dark Side of the Moon
    Deep Purple- Machine Head

Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post
    The Who - Quadrophenia
    I'm actually surprised by this Mo, especially since you've heard Genesis's Lamb album which is sort what similar.
    Be a loyal plastic robot for a world that doesn't care... Frank Zappa

Believe it or not, I have never heard the entire "In the Court of the Crimson King." Of course I have heard the title track and "21st Century Schizoid Man" but that's it!

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    And you lot? What's an album would surprise people to know you've never even heard?
    Between the sheer number of prog and classic rock albums that I've never heard OF, let alone heard and the ones I have heard but don't like, I'd probably get myself kicked off this board.

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Any Beatles album from front to back.
    Chad

There are some albums which I cannot remember hearing or not. Among these would be the first few Grand Funk albums, various Can albums and The Machine That Cried by String Driven Thing. I think the only Rolling Stones album I have heard is Wheels of Steel, which is pretty good.
    Member since Wednesday 09.09.09

same exact answer as Chad above.
    and now to stick a finger in my good friend's eye... any Triumph album ;-)

Most Gentle Giant. Got a couple on vinyl (Octopus and one other one -- can't remember which).
    Progtopia is a podcast devoted to interviewing progressive rock, metal, and electronic artists from the past and present, featuring their songs and exclusive interviews. Artists interviewed on the show have included Steve Hackett, Sound of Contact, Larry Fast, Circus Maximus, Anubis Gate, Spock's Beard, and many more. http://progtopia.podomatic.com See you in a land called Progtopia!

It's hard to guage what exactly would be surprising, since it probably depends on the audience.

The three highest rated Gnosis2000.net albums I haven't heard are:

Present - Barbaro (ma non troppo)
    My excuse: Well, it's not that old, and it's pretty damn expensive. It's on my list of things to eventually get, though.

Mia - Cornonstipicum
    My excuse: I *tried* to buy it on a couple of occasions from Doug Larson, but he was out of stock both times I inquired. I'll keep at it, though.

Circus - Movin' On
    My excuse: Another that's been on my radar, but it's usually out of stock or too expensive for me to bite on.

The three highest rated Progarchives albums that I've never heard:

Bacamarte - Depois Do Fim
    My excuse: I had never heard of this band or album until just now.

Big Big Train - English Electric
    My excuse: It's a new album and I'm not interested enough in the other music of theirs that I've heard to actively seek this out.

Riverside - Second Life Syndrome
    My excuse: Not my thing.

The top three on rateyourmusic.com that I haven't heard:

A Tribe Called Quest - Midnight Marauders
    My excuse: I don't know. I like the album that came before it, but I never picked up this one.

Iron Maiden - Powerslave
    My excuse: Because I'd rather be stabbed.

Judas Priest - Painkiller
    My excuse: Not the hugest fan of these guys, but I do kind of like a few of their mid and late '70s tunes, in a nostalgia/guilty-pleasure kind of way. I didn't know that anybody but the hard-core fans were into their post-Screaming for Vengeance albums, though. Yet this is the highest rated priest album on the site. Hmmm. It almost makes me curious. Almost

Frampton Comes Alive

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    It's hard to guage what exactly would be surprising, since it probably depends on the audience.

The three highest rated Gnosis2000.net albums I haven't heard are:

Present - Barbaro (ma non troppo)
    My excuse: Well, it's not that old, and it's pretty damn expensive. It's on my list of things to eventually get, though.

Mia - Cornonstipicum
    My excuse: I *tried* to buy it on a couple of occasions from Doug Larson, but he was out of stock both times I inquired. I'll keep at it, though.

Circus - Movin' On
    My excuse: Another that's been on my radar, but it's usually out of stock or too expensive for me to bite on.

The three highest rated Progarchives albums that I've never heard:

Bacamarte - Depois Do Fim
    My excuse: I had never heard of this band or album until just now.

Big Big Train - English Electric
    My excuse: It's a new album and I'm not interested enough in the other music of theirs that I've heard to actively seek this out.

Riverside - Second Life Syndrome
    My excuse: Not my thing.

The top three on rateyourmusic.com that I haven't heard:

A Tribe Called Quest - Midnight Marauders
    My excuse: I don't know. I like the album that came before it, but I never picked up this one.

Iron Maiden - Powerslave
    My excuse: Because I'd rather be stabbed.

Judas Priest - Painkiller
    My excuse: Not the hugest fan of these guys, but I do kind of like a few of their mid and late '70s tunes, in a nostalgia/guilty-pleasure kind of way. I didn't know that anybody but the hard-core fans were into their post-Screaming for Vengeance albums, though. Yet this is the highest rated priest album on the site. Hmmm. It almost makes me curious. Almost
    A Tribe Called Quest Midnight Marauders is as good as any that has come before it.

Iron Maiden's Powerslave is my all time favorite album by the band.

Judas Priest 's Painkiller is a strong release.

Practically every famous 1960s-1970s *classic rock* band album except for Led Zep. Special attention for uselessness in this regard to the Who. As in Who Cares? Not me. Prog specific: Marillion post 1988. No Dream Theatre ever. Practically no prog-metal. Almost no hip hop after Three Feet High and Rising and Fear of a Black Planet.

I haven't heard anything by the Cardiacs yet.
    "The wind is slowly tearing her apart"
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten