Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: What's an album that would surprise people to know you've never heard?

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    It's hard to guage what exactly would be surprising, since it probably depends on the audience.
    I suppose I was referring largely to a group such as PE.

Some jaw-droppers so far, for sure. NO Rush? Ever? No Yes past Relayer? Those are certainly good answers, as they are most surprising indeed. Here I was thinking my Amon Duul II album was surprising.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

As regards non-prog but classic bands:

Beatles "Rubber Soul" or "Revolver" in entirety
    Just about all Rolling Stones -- never liked 'em
    Anything by the Allman Brothers, Lynyrd Skynyrd, or the Eagles
    Most Klaus Schulze -- which as I'm a Tangerine Dream fan might be surprising
    Progtopia is a podcast devoted to interviewing progressive rock, metal, and electronic artists from the past and present, featuring their songs and exclusive interviews. Artists interviewed on the show have included Steve Hackett, Sound of Contact, Larry Fast, Circus Maximus, Anubis Gate, Spock's Beard, and many more. http://progtopia.podomatic.com See you in a land called Progtopia!

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mellotron storm View Post
    I haven't heard anything by the Cardiacs yet.
    Now that does surprise me.

For me, any Yes after GFTO, any Genesis after SEBTP
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by dnieper View Post
    I've borrowed these albums in the past and am familiar with them, but I don't own them and probably never listened to them all the way through more than once or twice:

Led Zeppelin- IV
    Pink Floyd- Dark Side of the Moon
    Deep Purple- Machine Head
    Same here with DSOTM. I've probably heard every individual TRACK at various times over the past 40 years, and I vaguely remember borrowing the album from a friend so it's possible I have heard it all the way through ONCE.
    Same with The Who - Quadrophenia.
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    I suppose I was referring largely to a group such as PE.

Some jaw-droppers so far, for sure. NO Rush? Ever? No Yes past Relayer? Those are certainly good answers, as they are most surprising indeed. Here I was thinking my Amon Duul II album was surprising.
    Carnival in Babylon is pretty good, along the lines of WOLF CITY, but not quite as good. If you like the other ADII's you have, I think you'll like CiB.
    High Vibration Go On - R.I.P. Chris Squire

Any Genesis b4 Foxtrot & anything after Duke.
    Have heard the odd track here & there but didn't give me the urge to want to listen to a full album !

Camel's Raindances & Mirage. I Like everything else i've heard so have no excuse for not owning those two .

Pawn Hearts is another but i don't like Hammill's voice so probably wouldn't like the album !
    Last edited by Rufus; 01-07-2013 at 03:27 PM.

Using Facelift's method...

TOP 3 Gnosis albums that I've not heard:

John Coltrane - A Love Supreme
    My excuse: I'm not a jazz guy and never have been. I'll probably have to try this one because of the universal praise that it gets, though.

Miles Davis - Kind of Blue
    My excuse: same as above.

King Crimson - The Great Deceiver Live
    My excuse: I don't like live stuff on their proper albums from this period, so I never bought this.

TOP 3 Progarchives albums that I've not heard:

Miles Davis - Kind of Blue (again)

Opeth - Still Life
    My excuse: heard a few others by these guys, not my bag.

Mike Oldfield - Ommadawn
    My excuse: his next one, "Incantations", is the only one I have, and it does nothing for me.

TOP 3 RYM albums I've not heard:

Miles Davis - Kind of Blue (haha, this is starting to get funny)

John Coltrane - A Love Supreme (okay, not funny anymore, just boring - I expected more varied results!)

Charles Mingus - The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady
    My excuse: well, it's jazz once again. Where's that "I hate jazz" thread when I need it? Seriously, I don't hate jazz at all, but never felt any particular urge to explore its terrains either, although I do love some jazz-tinged progressive rock and adore much of Canterbury / RIO which obviously had a good deal of jazz influence.

Quote Originally Posted by Progtopia View Post
    As regards non-prog but classic bands:

Beatles "Rubber Soul" or "Revolver" in entirety
    Rubber Soul and Revolver should be heard in their entirety - together. I used to have them on two sides of a C90. George's son Dani, said they were originally intended as a double album.
    Member since Wednesday 09.09.09

Jethro Tull: Aqualung. Only ever heard the two songs off of this that FM radio latched onto (i.e.: “Locomotive Breath” and the title track).

-------------
    MIKE (a.k.a. "Progbear")

"It is not an obscenity to be free. It is a divine right." --Annette Peacock

N.P.:“Sun Trip”-Grobschnitt

Haven't heard anything by Pink Floyd after 'I wish you were here'... I only own Meddle.
    Everything Rush, Echolyn, Marillon, Yes after owner of a lonely heart,

i have never heard a complete/whole album/cd by Magma.

Never heard the new Rush. I've only heard parts of the newest Yes, on youtube, but haven't heard the suite. Its on my to do list, there is so much and I can't hear it all. I'd never heard Mystery until last night. Haven't heard the last 2 Glass Hammer albums, though I really enjoyed 'If'. I've heard almost no metal or 'prog-metal' ever.

But artists such as Big Big Train, Anglagard, Thieves Kitchen, Advent etc... I am well familiar with, if that helps

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    Jethro Tull: Aqualung. Only ever heard the two songs off of this that FM radio latched onto (i.e.: “Locomotive Breath” and the title track).
    You may be under an extremely unfortunate impression that it's the worst thing they ever did in that event It's not!

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    The people who've never heard Pink Floyd's "Animals" shouldn't post here ever again until they've listened to it. Really. Come on.

I've never heard Olias of Sunhillow.

Quote Originally Posted by yogibear View Post
    i have never heard a complete/whole album/cd by Magma.
    BINGO!

Also,no Cardiacs,Stackridge,Steeleye Span or Lindisfarne. Tons of new prog bands,simply because I have neither the time or money.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    The people who've never heard Pink Floyd's "Animals" shouldn't post here ever again until they've listened to it. Really. Come on.
    BINGO! Their proggiest masterpiece ever. Gilmour plays his ass off on Dogs.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Trick of the Tail
    The Lamb
    Foxtrot
    PG I,II,III,IV

meimjustalawnmower
    I've never heard Olias of Sunhillow.
    'Nuff said.

Quote Originally Posted by mellotron storm View Post
    I haven't heard anything by the Cardiacs yet.
    DITTO

Count me in on never hearing any Cardiacs. May have to look on the You Tubes!

That's harsh. The only two Floyd albums I have listened to in their entirety are "Dark Side of the Moon" and "Wish You Were Here" and that's only because my friends had them. Not much of a Floyd Fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Kemp View Post
    That's harsh. The only two Floyd albums I have listened to in their entirety are "Dark Side of the Moon" and "Wish You Were Here" and that's only because my friends had them. Not much of a Floyd Fan.
    Ok, then the people who LIKE WYWH and have never heard Animals, how about that?

Quote Originally Posted by meimjustalawnmower View Post
    'Nuff said.
    Well, I'm not sure Olias is as widely acclaimed as Animals, even around here. Is it?

Marillion, Magma, Pallas, IQ, Magenta and most other 80's prog.
    A period of time that just passed me by.

mark
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain