Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: RIP Lemmy!

Sorry to see him go. He was the real deal... R.I.P. Lemmy The Lurch.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I thought this dude was immortal...what a bummer!

Rest in peace, Lemmy.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

NOOOO!!!!! Truly saddened by this. I saw Motorhead in the summer. There better be a well stocked bar in heaven.

Last song...

R.I.P.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Hell will be a louder place from now on. RIP to a true legend - never deviated from his style and mojo since the beginning.

I've been off the 'Net most of the day, just logged in cuz the wife's asleep. Opened up Metafilter and saw a thread devoted to Lemmy. RIP indeed. I knew Lemmy had a lot of health issues but obviously this cancer caught even him by surprise.

I'm not a huge Motorhead fan but I pull out a CD or two a couple times a year. There was nothing like them - just sheer rock n' roll aggression with the amps all the way up. RIP you glorious bastard.
    Last edited by Jerjo; 12-29-2015 at 01:46 AM.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

RIP Mr. Kilmister and thanks for writing Orgasmatron.
    "Dem Glücklichen legt auch der Hahn ein Ei."

He'd been ill throughout this year, of course, but the length of time between his cancer diagnosis and his eventual death is really shocking- it's really hours we're talking.

Very sad.

The word "legend" is probably overused these days in the R'n'R world, but it definitely applies to Lemmy.
    There was some kind of rough, genuine, gentle honesty that emanated from him, at least judging from his music, lyrics and interviews.
    RIP

RIP or Rest In Rock Lemmy, an icon of our era has passed.

I'm not much of a metal fan it did see Motörhead a few times over the years and they were always of an intensity and indeed ear crushing noise level that rendered others mere pussycats.

I met the man once, I think about '78 when we was in the "crowd" (standing within easy reach of the bar) at a small rock gig in my town, and being the Hawkwind nut that I was, I chatted with him a while. Somewhere I have his autographed signed cigarette pack from that encounter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My eldest kid went to see the 'head when they passed through Oslo only three weeks ago. He was never much of a fan, but expecting this to be the final opportunity to witness such a legend in action, he duly attended and afterwards reported of how 'terminal' the man and his whole presence appeared. It was becoming rather obvious that Lemmy was on his last leg.

I was never really a Motörhead enthusiast either, but I quite enjoyed Lemmy's input with Hawkwind (although he's not on my fave records of theirs) and thought the man as such was somewhat of a hoot. His whole generation is more or less closing down these days, as is supposedly the cultural phenomenon they foistered and manifested - so there's really not much of a surprise at play.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Banned
    RIP

Sabbath and Purple bassist says farewell to friend alongside Brian May, Saxon, Coverdale, Marsden, Lukather and others
    Glenn Hughes has described Lemmy as “the real dang deal” and “the originator” in his tribute to the Motorhead leader.

The rock icon passed away on December 28 (Monday) after a brief battle against an aggressive form of cancer. The 70-year-old had been dealing with poor health for several year, but continued to tour and record.

Former Black Sabbath and Deep Purple vocalist and bassist Hughes says: “Within seconds on the radio I knew it was him – distinctive bass and vocal approach. He lived for rock’n’roll.

“In the 80s I failed miserably to keep up with him at the bar. He set the bar. He was the bar.

“There will never be another like you Lem. You did good, kid.”

Queen guitarist Brian May has written a blog entry in which he says: “Words don’t come easy, especially when you know Lemmy would have laughed at us all trying to say dignified things about him being a hero. Any time I attempted to say anything complimentary to Lemmy to his face, he would fix me with a kind of amused, contemptuous stare. But a kind of hero he certainly was.”

Among many other tributes, Saxon say: “We are in shock and mourning for our friend.”

Whitesnake’s David Coverdale posted a picture of two whisky glasses, with the message: “To Lemmy. Cheers!”

His former colleague, guitarist Bernie Marsden, says: “Spent many a evening chatting with him, especially about Hendrix. I always thought his image belied the depth of his intellect.”

Toto’s Steve Lukather writes that the pair “had a few great hangs years ago I shall always cherish.”

And Black Star Riders frontman Ricky Warwick says: “A huge part of rock’n’roll is gone.”

Corey Taylor on loss of friend, plus farewells from Killswitch, DevilDriver, BVB, Lacuna Coil and more
    Slipknot and Stone Sour frontman Corey Taylor has mourned the loss of his friend Lemmy.

He passed away on December 28 (Monday) after a brief battle against an aggressive form of cancer. The 70-year-old had been dealing with poor health for several year, but continued to tour and record.

Slipknot presented the rock icon with a Best Bassist Award in memory of late member Paul Gray in 2013. Taylor says: “My friend died today. We’ll all miss you. Your name was Lemmy, and you played Rock’n’roll. Rest in peace, my man.”

Among many other tributes, Jesse Leach of Killswitch Engage reports he’s “gutted” by the news and says: “No one will ever come close to the sheer power and presence of this man, ever.”

DevilDriver leader Dez Fafara describes Lemmy as “a total legend and one very nice person,” continuing: “You will be missed.”

Cristina Scabbia of Lacuna Coil says: “I am crushed. Such a blessing to share part of my life with him. A true legend. May he rest in peace.”

Black Veil Brides frontman Andy Biersack asserts “there will never be another like him.”

Metallica have called late Motorhead leader Lemmy their hero, adding that he’s one of the main reason the band got together in the first place.

The rock icon passed away on December 28 (Monday) after a brief battle against an aggressive form of cancer. The 70-year-old had been dealing with poor health for several year, but continued to tour and record.

James Hetfield and co posted a video of Lemmy’s 2009 appearance with them, when they performed Motorhead track Too Late Too Late together. The band say: “Lemmy, you are one of the primary reasons this band exists. We are forever grateful for all of your inspiration. Rest In Peace. Endless love and respect, Metallica.”

Among many other tributes, Anthrax say: “There's nothing we could write that can live up to the mighty life you lived. You are rock’n’roll. Warrior Always. Much love.”

Megadeth mainman Dave Mustaine simply writes: “Farewell Lemmy. I love you brother.”

Foo Fighters leader Dave Grohl says his “heart is broken” and continues: “We’ve lost a friend and legend.”

Judas Priest say: “The shows, the tours we did and the laughs and stories we shared – all of these and more will be cherished.”

Kiss frontman Paul Stanley describes Lemmy as “truly one of a kind,” adding: “Much more to him than many knew.”

And Motley Crue’s Nikki Sixx says: “ I’ll miss you, buddy, and our conversations. You were always a pillar of dignity.”

Metallica have called late Motorhead leader Lemmy their hero, adding that he’s one of the main reason the band got together in the first place.

James Hetfield and co posted a video of Lemmy’s 2009 appearance with them, when they performed Motorhead track Too Late Too Late together. The band say: “Lemmy, you are one of the primary reasons this band exists. We are forever grateful for all of your inspiration. Rest In Peace. Endless love and respect, Metallica.”

Among many other tributes, Anthrax say: “There's nothing we could write that can live up to the mighty life you lived. You are rock’n’roll. Warrior Always. Much love.”

Megadeth mainman Dave Mustaine simply writes: “Farewell Lemmy. I love you brother.”

Foo Fighters leader Dave Grohl says his “heart is broken” and continues: “We’ve lost a friend and legend.”

Judas Priest say: “The shows, the tours we did and the laughs and stories we shared – all of these and more will be cherished.”

Kiss frontman Paul Stanley describes Lemmy as “truly one of a kind,” adding: “Much more to him than many knew.”

And Motley Crue’s Nikki Sixx says: “ I’ll miss you, buddy, and our conversations. You were always a pillar of dignity.”

Former Guns n’Roses drummer Matt Sorum has proudly recalled his stint with Motorhead in the aftermath of mainman Lemmy’s death.

Sorum, who stood in for drummer Mikkey Dee on tour in 2009, says: “Today we lost the greatest badass in the history of rock’n’roll. He was a man who lived his life with no apologies, and lived the dream of a life on the road playing music to thousands of fans worldwide.

“Lemmy loved rock’n’roll and his fans. Never took them for granted, and rocked as hard as he could night after night.”

The pair first met in 1989 when Sorum was with The Cult. “He opened his arms to me as I was new to the big league,” Sorum says. “I felt accepted by him – and that meant everything to me.

“The years ahead with Guns n’Roses, The Cult and Velvet Revolver and travels on the road, it was always a good time crossing paths with him, likes pirates on sailing ships.”

He got the call to tour with Lemmy in 2009, and admits he accepted even though there was no chance for rehearsal, despite being “somewhat nervous the fans would kill me if I didn’t do the music justice.”

Sorum adds: “I played with the toughest band in history – and definitely the loudest. The best time was on the bus with countless stories from the very intelligent Lemmy, a well red man and history buff. It made you really love him like an elder statesman that you looked up to. A classic gentleman really.

“That's what he was for me . He taught me to respect myself and have respect and gratitude for the life we'd be given.”

Sending condolences to current Motorhead men Phil Campbell and Dee, he continues: “He will always remain in my heart as a guide to push on. Take no prisoners and never give up. The world of rock is shaken today – but thank god Lemmy was here to teach us how it's supposed to be done.

“Godspeed my friend. I love you and will miss you.”
    Last edited by Rufus; 12-29-2015 at 05:42 AM.

I awoke this morning to hearing of this news on NPR.

RIP Lemmy

I was on a bodyguard mission once in 82 in London, and the guy I was guarding suddenly throws his fist in the air and screams across the street, "LEMMY!!!!!" Lemmy returned the raised fist salute, smiled and said "hello"

Lemmy was living on borrowed time. For example, he was completely ignoring his diabetes. This news did not surprise me much. RIP to one of the truest rockers there has ever been. The man's influence over hard rock and heavy metal is immesurable!
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

The musician I saw most times live in my life... I think over 30.

Rest in Speed!
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Lemmy was a man I expected would go full tilt until he couldn't go anymore and that would be it. While his death is a shock, it isn't a surprise. It is exactly how I thought he'd go out, and I doubt Lemmy would have it any other way.

Very sad news. Here is an interview from September- with Marc Maron. He ( Maron ) conducts wonderful interviews, wish his musical tastes included many of the artists we talk about on this forum.
    http://www.wtfpod.com/podcast/episod...emmy_kilmister

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    Damn. RIP. This year has been something else. Still, Lemmy went out the way he wanted to go.
    I know what you mean dropforge.
    Still alive and well...

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    I heard about it from Hellhammer's (Jan Axel Blomberg's) FB feed. One of my favorite Hawkwind members.
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

the greatest rocker of all time. rip

Though not a Motorhead fanatic, I liked all i heard, though maybe not a lot. Ive read a lot of comments about him outliving Keef. It just proves to me Lemmy left NOTHING on the table when he left. He was always regarded as a legend, something he laughed at, and never appear to be the pretentious twat Richards can be. He was the real deal. Balls to the wall right to the end, exactly how he wanted it to be. Bon voyage, raise some hell and keep it loud wherever you are.

R.I.P.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973