Thread: FEATURED CD - Univers Zero : 1313

FEATURED CD - Univers Zero : 1313

Per Allmusic:
    Some very peculiar rock music hybrids emerged in the 1970s, but none was any more peculiar than Univers Zero, a classically influenced group of primarily Belgian musicians. Sometimes compared to the slightly earlier and enormously influential King Crimson, Univers Zero was actually much more extreme. While Crimson used Robert Fripp's lead guitar and Ian McDonald's Mellotron to approximate a symphonic rock sound rooted in the 19th century romantic tradition of Richard Strauss, Mahler and Wagner, the earliest versions of Univers Zero were not only more purely classical in their instrumentation (bassoon, violin, viola, cello, harmonium, spinet piano), but much more contemporary in their musical appropriation of the dissonant, jagged 20th century classical styles of Stravinsky, Bartók, Ligeti, and Penderecki, among others. The other constant and distinguishing quality of Univers Zero was the longtime preoccupation of drummer/leader Daniel Denis with the early 20th century fantasy/horror writer H.P. Lovecraft -- as indicated by the names of his two predecessor bands, Arkham (the mythical town where most of Lovecraft's stories were set) and Necronomicon (a mythical Lovecraft book of forbidden secrets). Some critics regard Univers Zero's music as pretentious and gloomy, but it's never pretentious in the easy, predictable manner of most progressive rock, and as for the gloom, there's actually a kind of jaunty gallows humor in many of the pieces on this debut -- particularly in the two by guitarist Roger Trigaux, which feature march rhythms somewhat suggestive of Shostakovich or Prokofiev. The rhythmic energy and dissonant riffs, the distinctive sound of the bassoon and strings, and the tricky, fragmented time signatures make for a challenging and highly distinctive listening experience.
    http://www.allmusic.com/album/univer...3-mw0000654801

Regards,

Duncan

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Wonderful debut and one of my favorite albums by the band. Laid out the blueprint for the first five albums. Personally I prefer the next four but it's really good.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Another blind spot in my collection, I fear. Since none of the videos posted above are playable in Oh-So-Free Germany, I’m listening to the live version of Ronde (Nottingham, 1978) right now. Tormato it ain’t.
    "Dem Glücklichen legt auch der Hahn ein Ei."

^^^ You can pretend you are from a different country in several ways here is 2:

If want, you can change your IP address https://securitygladiators.com/2015/...other-country/

Or use Anonymox through Firefox http://www.anonymox.net/en

Quote Originally Posted by at least 100 dead View Post
    Another blind spot in my collection, I fear. Since none of the videos posted above are playable in Oh-So-Free Germany, I’m listening to the live version of Ronde (Nottingham, 1978) right now. Tormato it ain’t.
    It's the same here.

Funny enough, I had this one in the car for a while, and my kids (ages 6 and 10) gave it a thumbs up. They liked the "crazy drums that do whatever they want".

My favorite Univers Zero record. So good.
    The Prog Corner

Great debut album! I don’t like it as much as Ceux du dehors (where I think they perfected this early approach), UZED or even Heatwave, but I do find it superior to the quite overrated Heresie (sophomore slump, if you ask me).
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    I do find it superior to the quite overrated Heresie (sophomore slump, if you ask me).
    Have you listened to the 2010 remix? That really brings out the power in what I also used to think of as a slightly (but only slightly) weaker album, and gives it some serious vibe.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    The 2010 remix is excellent.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Cool album, but dark, dark ,dark all the way thru.

They became more diverse with each subsequent release..., but I love everything by UZ.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

I rank it third after Ceux du dehors and Uzed.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    Funny enough, I had this one in the car for a while, and my kids (ages 6 and 10) gave it a thumbs up. They liked the "crazy drums that do whatever they want".
    I see you are properly fathering your children. Good to see in these dark times

Great stuff. quite unique when it came out.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    ^^^ You can pretend you are from a different country in several ways here is 2:

If want, you can change your IP address https://securitygladiators.com/2015/...other-country/

Or use Anonymox through Firefox http://www.anonymox.net/en
    Thanks, Zeuhlmate!
    "Dem Glücklichen legt auch der Hahn ein Ei."

Not my favourite but a terrific album nonetheless.
    They had the whole sound locked down from the debut.

Although there's the odd distant information from Zappa/Mothers, Third Ear Band, Soft Machine and HCow, this is about as unique a debut as would ever appear within purported "rock" music.

I remember getting that very scarce, early vinyl reprint (from 1978) back in 1994, only having read and heard about the group - and along with discovering the rest of the original Rock-In-Opposition catalog it pretty much singlehandedly altered my impressions of the very possibilities of actual 'progressive' rock. I still think that middle section plus fallback part in "Docteur Petiot" is one of the most chilling moments of tune I ever encountered. Shit, who ever knew the harmonium could generate such a tremendously uncanny sound!?

I even think it's a littubittu 'better than Anathema', but y'know - that's only me. :dgtest
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post
    I can't rank the rest but for me Ceux du Dehors is their best, however 1313 is a great one.

I don't think either are "Rock" progressive or otherwise - I find these labels rather arbitrary.

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    but I do find it superior to the quite overrated Heresie (sophomore slump, if you ask me).
    Ugh, I think my heart just seized up. One of my top albums of all time.

I quite like the debut also.

Banned
    A nice debut.

Pretty fantastic debut. Still gets plenty of air time around here.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post
    Same here. Still a pretty incredible album. It's hard to go wrong with any of the early UZ.

This is such a great album. The first of a string of great ones to come. I've not heard the recent remix yet.

I have a soft spot for Heatwave since it is the first one I heard and bought shortly after it came out.

I'm glad I didn't hear the debut first. It's a bit too stark for me. Ceux Du Dehors and Uzed are more rich sounding and full for their early period, but I still prefer their Heatwave thru Implosion series of albums.
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Yeah, this is sadly missing from my collection....need to rectify that soon.