Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Heart...Live 1976

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by winkersnufs View Post
    Hello Everyone -

I'm over at YouTube and listening to (Heart - Live at KWSU TV Studio (the second ending)) WOW! Those guys were certainly out to prove themselves .... and did so indeed! I saw Heart on those early days opening the bill with the Beach Boys. Fantastic set and I to this day find the Wilson Sisters very classy and a fine addition to my ears...But I pretty much stopped after Dog and Butterfly.

Take a look...PLEASE

Carry On
    Chris Buckley
    Were they Prog?

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post

Alzheimer strikes me sometimes
    Damnit! I must have caught it from you in Amsterdam and it's taken this long for the symptoms to show up.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Damnit! I must have caught it from you in Amsterdam and it's taken this long for the symptoms to show up.
    Couldn't be... this is a joint-communicated disease...

And you were toking on your pipe, while I was busy with my doobie.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I first saw them in London in 1980, they were a pale imitation of themselves without Fisher sadly, Brian May guested though.

Little Queen is one of my faves, Dog & Butterfly and Dreamboat Annie not far behind.

Saw 'em on the Bebe Le Strange tour, unfortunately from the nosebleed seats of the Richfield Coliseum. Killer version of LedZep's Rock and Roll IIRC.
    -=Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?=-

I enjoy a lot of the 80s AOR Heart. There's some good rocking songs if you search each album. Sure, there's that thin 80s production and overused cheesy keyboard dominance, but I like some of the deep cuts.

I think their 90s output is often overlooked. I'm a huge fan of that era.

1993's Desire Walks On is one of my favorites from them. Good rockers, some tasty acoustic guitar tracks, and a bunch in between.

AXS tv recently aired the Dan Rather interview with Ann & Nancy - They made no bones about referring to themselves as sellouts during the 'big hair and corsets' years.
    -=Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?=-

Don't forget The Road Home. A very intimate and powerful performance of classics and more...

The Road Home is a live album released in 1995, the fourteenth album overall by the rock group Heart. It chronicles a club performance in the "unplugged" style given in their home city of Seattle. It was produced by John Paul Jones of Led Zeppelin, and contains acoustic versions of many of the band's hits including "Alone", "Barracuda", and "Dreamboat Annie".

As already mentioned, Ann's 2007 solo album, Hope & Glory, is a must have. Others have already mentioned her wonderful version of "The Immigrant Song, but we also get a good and tasty new Heart song, as Nancy is featured on "Darkness Darkness."

Speaking of Nancy... Live At McCabe's Guitar Shop

It might be easy to simply write this one off as another in a series of Unplugged-style records, where half of the sister act that makes up Heart decided to cut a CD of her favorites -- alone with her 12-string guitar. Except that unlike those MTV sessions, this one's more about appreciating what the artist has, rather than what she's done. Recorded in March 1996 and released a couple weeks ago, this 13-track greatest hits/faves compilation is a gem. Wilson is in great voice, and is clever and spirited on guitar, doing a few Heart rave-ups (Even It Up, These Dreams) covering some of her (and my) favorites (Joni Mitchell's haunting A Case of You, Simon and Garfunkel's Kathy's Moon, Peter Gabriels' In Your Eyes), as well as playing some new ones (the heartfelt Everything). There are no earth-shattering new renditions of anything, no starkly original moments, only Wilson's voice, guitar and the songs, and that's enough to make it work. Those who enjoyed MTV's Unplugged series will find this to be a pleasant companion.

-- Tim McMahan

For their recent material, I feel that they have had some solid albums. I enjoy a hefty playlist comprised of these discs:

Jupiter's Darling (2004)
    Red Velvet Car (2010)
    Fanatic (2012)

Here's our Heart thread from 2012:

http://www.progressiveears.org/forum...r-It-For-Heart

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    I enjoy a lot of the 80s AOR Heart. There's some good rocking songs if you search each album. Sure, there's that thin 80s production and overused cheesy keyboard dominance, but I like some of the deep cuts.
    Same here. The production doesn't really "thin out" until you get to Heart.

1993's Desire Walks On is one of my favorites from them. Good rockers, some tasty acoustic guitar tracks, and a bunch in between.
    Another good one. A lot of people don't seem to be aware of this release. Strange, but true.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post

Around the 47:30 mark, they announce themselves from Vancouver (which I thought so for over three decades), yet everyone on the web hints/claims at Seattle;.. any reasons for this?
    I read the Wilson sisters autobiography a while back (great read BTW), and it had something to do with one of the Fisher brothers dodging the draft so he moved to Vancouver (as did Anne) and even though they were a Seattle band when they started to “make it” they were across the border.

I think their 90s output is often overlooked. I'm a huge fan of that era.

]
    Agreed, this is a good album. This was right at the end of their big hair period. Their star had started to fall again, so I always had the impression with this album they just said screw it and went back to trying to make good music instead of chasing hits. I would not consider this a classic heart album, but it is a good one.

Don't forget The Road Home. A very intimate and powerful performance of classics and more...

url]
    Agree The Road Home is a great live album as is Nancy Wilson's. I think she is kind of underated as a singer.

too lazy to look
    was Fisher on Bebe Le Strange?
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    too lazy to look
    was Fisher on Bebe Le Strange?
    No, that's the first album without him. I like the album, but not as much as the first four, and it's the last Heart album I own. I tried some of the more recent albums (Jupiter and Red Velvet Car), but they just didn't have the 70s magic about them to me. Some OK tracks, but overall sort of "blah" to me.

Bill

I really enjoyed Heart in their early days but my finest Heart related memory was the first time I saw them live (I guess around Dream Boat Annie) and the opening act was Be Bop Deluxe. Never heard of them at the time but goddamm did they put on the show!!! Playing mostly "Sunburst Finish" material if memory serves. I saw them again (in an opening act capacity) when I went to see Robin Trower and at that point they were touring their "Modern Music" album.

Anyway, sorry about the hijack...yeah, Heart put on a great live show and Anne good belt em out with the best of them.

best
    Michael
    If it ain't acousmatique-It's crap

Gruno said, "we also get a good and tasty new Heart song, as Nancy is featured on "Darkness Darkness".

Gruno my Cheese-fan cohort - just making sure that you already knew that "Darkness, Darkness" was Heart's cover of writer Jesse Colin Young's original with his fellow Bloods.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

Gruno said, "we also get a good and tasty new Heart song, as Nancy is featured on "Darkness Darkness".

Gruno my Cheese-fan cohort - just making sure that you already knew that "Darkness, Darkness" was Heart's cover of writer Jesse Colin Young's original with his fellow Bloods.
    Which Robert Plant did a much better cover on his Dreamland album, too.

Thx for the Vancouver origins bits.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I read the Wilson sisters autobiography a while back (great read BTW)...
    Sorry to snip out your main point but I wanted to echo your statement here, the Wilson sisters' autobio is a very interesting read. I learned a lot about not only them but what they were going through as women trying to make it in rock. A fun book until it gets bogged down near the end about raising kids.

Yes. Was mainly saying I was happy to have a studio track with the Wilson sisters.

From what I remember Roger Fisher was getting too far into substances to be of any use. Howard Leese was getting tired of having to teach Fisher the leads for "Magic Man" every tour. Leads that Fisher came up with in the first place. Not to mention Mike Fisher (the band's sound guy) was stepping out on Ann and Roger was doing the same on Nancy. As a wise man once wrote, "Heaven has no rage like love to hatred turned, Nor hell a fury like a woman scorned."
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

From what I gather, the band was imploding anyways... Desrozier and Fossen left after BBLS as well, only leaving Leese with the Wilson sisters

Bebe was the only album between D&B in October 78 and PA in May 82... and it was rather poor (but then again D&B was not that good either)

Who else but A&NW is playing on BBLS, anyways?

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    From what I remember Roger Fisher was getting too far into substances to be of any use. Howard Leese was getting tired of having to teach Fisher the leads for "Magic Man" every tour. Leads that Fisher came up with in the first place. Not to mention Mike Fisher (the band's sound guy) was stepping out on Ann and Roger was doing the same on Nancy. As a wise man once wrote, "Heaven has no rage like love to hatred turned, Nor hell a fury like a woman scorned."
    I think it was more to do with the infidelity. Nancy was cheating on Roger with the drummer and this caused Roger to have some fits during shows. Supposedly (according to the Wilson sisters' autobio), he basically went ballistic during a show and walked off stage or smashed his guitar or something. Both sisters felt it would be best if both Fisher brothers were gone from the scene.

Quote Originally Posted by flowerking View Post
    I think it was more to do with the infidelity. Nancy was cheating on Roger with the drummer and this caused Roger to have some fits during shows. Supposedly (according to the Wilson sisters' autobio), he basically went ballistic during a show and walked off stage or smashed his guitar or something. Both sisters felt it would be best if both Fisher brothers were gone from the scene.
    Sounds like the Fleetwood Mac Soap Opera era.

As already mentioned, Ann's 2007 solo album, Hope & Glory, is a must have. Others have already mentioned her wonderful version of "The Immigrant Song, but we also get a good and tasty new Heart song, as Nancy is featured on "Darkness Darkness."
    Actually a new cover. It's a vintage Youngbloods song, also done by Mott the Hoople on the great Brain Capers.

Quote Originally Posted by bRETT View Post
    Actually a new cover. It's a vintage Youngbloods song, also done by Mott the Hoople on the great Brain Capers.
    See #41

However.....while I knew Plant covered it, you've educated me about MTH (who also covered Neil Young's Ohio)!