Thread: Steve Howe with Cream...

Steve Howe with Cream...

Deleted
    Last edited by Mister Triscuits; 12-27-2015 at 06:32 PM.

Wrong song. The song they allegedly played on was "This Sporting Life."
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Munro says it was this one. Maybe both songs are from the same session?

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Munro says it was this one.
    I'll be honest that I never heard of this. But the research I did indicates otherwise. In fact, one the sources described the music which doesn't fit this song at all.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Guitar sounds like it could be Steve...but it doesn't sound remotely like Cream's rhythm section. And there's no other guitar, so no Clapton.

Quote Originally Posted by bRETT View Post
    Guitar sounds like it could be Steve...but it doesn't sound remotely like Cream's rhythm section. And there's no other guitar, so no Clapton.
    Yep, no way is that Ginger softly tapping a simplistic rhythm.

Once again, the digging I did described an entirely different song.

I'd love to find out that The Nice recorded the audition they did with Steve Howe, when he joined for all of a day or two.
    ...or you could love

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Bender View Post
    I'd love to find out that The Nice recorded the audition they did with Steve Howe, when he joined for all of a day or two.
    That would be cool.

I love the story of Howe auditioning for The Nice that's in the Dan Hedges book. He showed up in the fall of 1968, played and they begged him to join. He would have replaced Davy O'List, of course, but he left after a few days/a week (stories vary) to start/continue with Bodast. If he had joined The Nice and it worked out, think how different prog history would be: no ELP, Yes likely doesn't reach the heights they do. I've long felt that Emerson and Howe would have been a great tandem.
    ...or you could love

What if. Sounds like too many cooks in one kitchen to me.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    What if. Sounds like too many cooks in one kitchen to me.
    Perhaps, although I believe the best Yes, such as CttE, arose from those too many cooks somehow working together and making something even greater than the sum of its parts. It's probably also the reason they had such a hard time getting along and staying a cohesive unit for any real period of time.

As for a rewritten history with Howe and Emerson, although that would be interesting, I'm glad it worked out the way it did.
    ProgEars and other prog posters & prints: http://www.michaelphipps.net
    .*AWAKEN*. gentle
    MASS -touch-

I think that if they'd worked together, they'd have reigned in their tendencies to over play. Or as the Emperor says in Amadeus "too many notes". Yeah, I'm glad the way it worked out, just think how different prog history would have been if Ian McDonald and Michael Giles had stayed with the first King Crimson........
    ...or you could love

A Hendrix-Emerson collaboration was always a pretty tasty "what if" for me.

Quote Originally Posted by ytserush View Post
    A Hendrix-Emerson collaboration was always a pretty tasty "what if" for me.
    I just couldn't see that happening with me enjoying it. Keith couldn't play second fiddle, which is what he would be, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    I just couldn't see that happening with me enjoying it. Keith couldn't play second fiddle, which is what he would be, IMO.
    Maybe it wouldn't have lasted long but I sure think it would have been incendiary.

The problem I've always had with the whole HELP myth is that it's not that Keith couldn't play "second fiddle", it's that *Hendrix* wouldn't play second fiddle. He got pissed off at Buddy Miles during the unfortunately short-lived Band of Gypsys project for wanting to do Miles' songs and for singing too much. It was only when Miles Davis suggested they work together (contingent on Jimi going to Julliard to take some composition lessons and learning how to write his music down in standard notation) that he'd be willing to be a collaborator. Jimi dying put an end to that idea.
    ...or you could love

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Bender View Post
    It was only when Miles Davis suggested they work together (contingent on Jimi going to Julliard to take some composition lessons and learning how to write his music down in standard notation) that he'd be willing to be a collaborator.
    Is this true?? I don't doubt you, I've just never heard that story before.