Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: FEATURED CD - Yes : Tormato

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    It still sounds nothing like any other Yes album.
    Up through Drama I think every Yes album has a different sound to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post
    Play the video in the first post, and you can hear the whole album.
    Cool!!

Hey, can you, like, post some instructions or something?
    Hired on to work for Mr. Bill Cox, a-fixin' lawn mowers and what-not, since 1964.

"Arguing with an idiot is like playing chess with a pigeon. It'll just knock over all the pieces, shit on the board, and strut about like it's won anyway." Anonymous

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” George Carlin

My friends and I eagerly awaited the release of this album back-in-the-day....imagine our collective sense of horror by the time Circus of Heaven came limping out of the speakers....I believe I was in tears by this point......the tour was my first YES concert and it was a serious ass-kicking in the Round at MSG.

Release, SWoF & Onward semi-save this album.

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    Was this a Hipgnosis cover? If so, they did much better covers than this one.
    Agreed. But they’ve done worse, too. Their cover to Misplaced Ideals by Sad Café (the “man peeling off his goopy, melting face” cover) is so nasty I can’t even look at it!
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by yesstiles View Post
    Side 1 of "Tormato" is better than Side 1 of "Going For The One" imo.
    Hey, Turn of the Century is on side 1!

Quote Originally Posted by Drake View Post
    Hey, Turn of the Century is on side 1!
    Yeah, that was my reaction too. Nothing on Tormato beats out Turn of the Century. And I quite like Parallels too.

I always liked Tormato because it was the 2nd or 3rd Yes album I had bought and I saw them for the first time on this tour. While I can't stand Circus of Heaven, I don't have the hatred that most of you seem to have toward Arriving UFO. And on the positive side, it has some solid tracks like Silent Wings, Release Release, and Future Times/Rejoice.

Sounds deemed Tormato a “pleasing and decorous […] comeback” back in the day.

Read the full review here.
    "Dem Glücklichen legt auch der Hahn ein Ei."

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by at least 100 dead View Post
    Sounds deemed Tormato a “pleasing and decorous […] comeback” back in the day.

Read the full review here.
    I have a particular problem with that reviewer's use of the term "comeback". It implies that the preceding one or two albums were inferior, which IMO is definitely NOT the case. Even if you rate Going For the One less highly than Tormato - which I find hard to believe, but I know some people do - I don't think anyone could say that GFTO was a misstep.

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    I have a particular problem with that reviewer's use of the term "comeback". It implies that the preceding one or two albums were inferior, which IMO is definitely NOT the case. Even if you rate Going For the One less highly than Tormato - which I find hard to believe, but I know some people do - I don't think anyone could say that GFTO was a misstep.
    Agreed. I think G4t1 is one of their very best, so the term “comeback” is puzzling, to say the least.
    "Dem Glücklichen legt auch der Hahn ein Ei."

Man, I hated this retched LP so much back in the day. When it first came out I was horrified by the artwork (but hey GFTO had a hideous album cover too) and even more so once I played the damned thing. Nowadays, I like it a lot more but Wakeman and Squire produced some of the worst sounds ever recorded throughout the album. And the production...
    The Prog Corner

One interesting thing on this thread:

Notice that all of us (4 or 5 people so far) for whom Tormato was one of our first Yes albums think it is pretty great overall? Only some of the folks who were big fans beforehand, and had huge expectations of it, seem to think it sucks.

And I bought all the earlier Yes albums not long after Tormato (and I think the other Tormato-as-early-exposure-to-Yes folks here did the same) and loved those, but the comparison never diminished my enjoyment of Tormato.

So what do I conclude? Expectations are a prison? Maybe a little harsh, but I think something like that is going on here...

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    One interesting thing on this thread:

Notice that all of us (4 or 5 people so far) for whom Tormato was one of our first Yes albums think it is pretty great overall? Only some of the folks who were big fans beforehand, and had huge expectations of it, seem to think it sucks.

And I bought all the earlier Yes albums not long after Tormato (and I think the other Tormato-as-early-exposure-to-Yes folks here did the same) and loved those, but the comparison never diminished my enjoyment of Tormato.

So what do I conclude? Expectations are a prison? Maybe a little harsh, but I think something like that is going on here...
    Interesting observation.

As I said in the other thread, Tormato was was one of the albums that got me into Yes. I borrowed this and Yessongs, but frankly spent more time with Tormato as Yessongs was a bit "out there" for me at that time. After seeing them in 1979, I went back and got the older stuff, and got my head around it pretty quickly. In time, I could see that Tormato overall was a clear step down from the incredible run from TYA - GftO, but there were (and still are) tracks that I like quite a bit, particularly Silent Wings which is up there with my favorite Yes songs, and overall I still find Tormato listenable.

Is my relatively favorable impression due to my early exposure to Tormato relative to the older stuff? Quite possibly. I've always thought there was some "nostalgia" in my feelings for the record that to some extent override the album's fairly obvious flaws. I also think the tour, and hearing recordings of some of the Tomato songs live (the Wembley/In the Round recordings in particular) gave me a better impression of the material than the album, which does have a sort of odd, thin production quality.

In contrast, I didn't care much for Drama or 90125 when I first heard them. With time, I've come to appreciate much, though not all of Drama, but can listen to it from start to finish. I think there are some strong compositions, along with a few weaker ones, but I've never come around to Horn's singing, and I think some of the arrangements are a bit weak. On balance, I like it about equally with Tormato now. 90125 is obviously another shift in sound, but try as I have over the years I've just never gotten into this one. It just lacks the elements that make Yes "Yes" for me. Tormato and Drama, though diminished and changed, still possess enough of those elements to keep me engaged. So I'm not certain that had I picked up the band earlier I wouldn't still have those two in my collection and that it isn't just nostalgia that makes me enjoy Tormato.

Bill

Apologies if this has already been posted elsewhere, but Burning Shed is taking pre-orders for a new book on the Tormato album.

https://burningshed.com/store/yes/ke...ato-story_book

kevin-mulryne_yes-the-tormato-story_book.jpg

Click the thumbnail.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Apologies if this has already been posted elsewhere, but Burning Shed is taking pre-orders for a new book on the Tormato album.

Click the thumbnail.
    Whole book about Tormato! Surprising but also delightful. I like Tormato.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

Ordered! A curates egg of can album for me but should be a fascinating snapshot of the band as the glory years give way to more uncertain times.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post

Click the thumbnail.
    Well, this is unexpected. Not that I consider Tormato the best Yes album ever, but only after the internet I found out that I was supposed *not* to like it. I'm conditionally interested in this book.

Quote Originally Posted by lovecraft View Post
    Ordered! A curates egg of can album for me but should be a fascinating snapshot of the band as the glory years give way to more uncertain times.
    Subject matter is definitely of interest to me. The author is a fan who has “spoken to fans, experts and many of the people who were there during the technical setup of the equipment, the recording of the album, and the creation of the artwork.”, according to the blurb. I wonder if he actually spoke to any of the band that recorded this album. Would be great to get their input to this era.

I do remember distinctly getting the album right when it came out, already having been a fan for a year or so, having seen them in '77 (at the age of 12) and when I first heard Tormato , I noticed right away, the sound of the guitar in particular seemed off. Other instruments too, and the overall sound felt thin, compared to the Yes I had been listening to.
    Over time I came to like the album. There are some good tunes and it's quite unique, but they could have worked harder to make sure it sounded great.
    Last edited by thos; 02-17-2023 at 12:42 AM.

I noticed that the format of this is described as a Book/Magazine on the Burning Shed website. I often wonder what happened on Tormato so if this does really provide some new insights I'm definitely interested.

I still find Yes' Tormato to be my least favorite album by them. Don't like any of the songs, the sound quality or the instrumental performances on the album (with Chris Squire's bass solo on "The Silent Wings Of Freedom" being the only part of the record that I like). While it's nice that there's a book about Tormato on the way, I'll wait for Rael will do a 'making of' for this album (along with the ones that he's done for other Yes LPs) to get his take on this record.

Quote Originally Posted by starless and bible black View Post
    I still find Yes' Tormato to be my least favorite album by them. Don't like any of the songs, the sound quality or the instrumental performances on the album (with Chris Squire's bass solo on "The Silent Wings Of Freedom" being the only part of the record that I like). While it's nice that there's a book about Tormato on the way, I'll wait for Rael will do a 'making of' for this album (along with the ones that he's done for other Yes LPs) to get his take on this record.
    “Release, Release” is a corker!

Quote Originally Posted by yesstiles View Post
    “Release, Release” is a corker!
    Indeed! The best song on Tormato easily!
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

online from time to time Czyszy's Avatar
    My favorite track on Tormato is actually Madrigal. xD Unpopular choice, I know.
    NG ~ BC ~ PA

I like the image of a tomato tornado. I savor the entire Tormato.