Thread: AAJ Review: Eberhard Weber, Résumé

AAJ Review: Eberhard Weber, Résumé

My review of Eberhard Weber's Résumé, today at AllAboutJazz.

With his 2007 stroke preventing him from playing bass (though he is doing much better, he just doesn't have the strength on his left side to play the instrument), Weber has moved in a different direction, taking a series of bass solos recorded over 25 years with the Jan Garbarek Group as connecting threads between songs, and using them as grist for recomposition. Playing keyboards and, on a few tracks, inviting saxophonist Garbarek and drummer Michael Di Pasqua to contribute, he's shaped those solos into discrete compositions with clear and compelling form.

I'll be interviewing him tomorrow, so there will be an article in a few weeks that goes into greater detail about how he is continuing to make music after the serious stroke that happened nearly six years ago, when he was on tour with Garbarek. Until then, you can read the review here.

Cool !

great review, thanks...I will pick this up tomorrow.
    and although DRESDEN was very nice, please ECM release some of the full Jan Garbarek concerts with EW on bass!

have spun this a few times now...
    so far very good
    was curious to hear how this would be given the approach, but don't worry if you are a fan you will enjoy it