Thread: NAZZ - Carson Van Osten has died

NAZZ - Carson Van Osten has died

Carson Van Osten, bass player from Nazz, died three days ago.

The only other member of the band apart from Rundgren to have a sole writer credit ('Christopher Columbus' on Nazz III), he became a full-time animator shortly after Nazz broke up, quickly becoming a revered figure at Disney. Here he is just 4 months ago accepting a Disney Legend award:

I'm one of those rare individuals who thinks that Nazz & Nazz Nazz, albums made by 4 guys under 20, are as good as ALMOST any TR solo stuff to date. For me (a subjective opinion, so save any righteously indignant posts), AWATS, Something/Anything & Runt are as good or better, but that's it (& other than TR's latest, I've heard them all at least once).

I'm saddened by this news. I had no idea that he was that successful as an animator. When I saw Nazz open for The Doors/The Who double bill in the late 60s, no one knew who they were. After "Open My Eyes", "Hello It's Me (with a better vocal than TR later) and "She's Goin' Down", everyone in that audience was gobsmacked.

RIP to an obvious renaissance man.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    I'm one of those rare individuals who thinks that Nazz & Nazz Nazz, albums made by 4 guys under 20, are as good as ALMOST any TR solo stuff to date.
    RIP to an obvious renaissance man.
    Not so rare. I'm totally with you. In fact, I'd say AWATS is the only one that equals the Nazz albums. Carson, Thom and Todd were all fine musicians, and while not much of a keyboard player, Stewkey was at least a pretty decent singer. RIP Carson.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I won't get righteous, but will just say IMO Todd is one songwriter who has never lost his chops, despite being at it for so long. His latest album is full of incredibly catchy songs, so you should check it out.

I'm one of those rare individuals who thinks that Nazz & Nazz Nazz, albums made by 4 guys under 20, are as good as
    First album is great, but the second is tremendous, IMO. And I keep telling folks that "A Beautiful Song" remains one of the first actual 'prog epics', but that's not the reason why that record is such a treat. "Forget all About It" is one of the finest opening tunes of all time; pure refined pop brilliance in 3 compressed minutes.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

RIP. Will be listening to some Nazz today.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    "Forget all About It" is one of the finest opening tunes of all time; pure refined pop brilliance in 3 compressed minutes.
    Yup, while many bands of the time dealt in wishful platitudes, the Nazz acknowledged what was really going on - "there's nobody listening to people like us" - indeed!

I remember quite literally sitting with my mount agape the first time I heard the ascending modulation bridge in "If That's The Way You Feel" while knowing that came out of a teenager's head! I still get goose bumps from time to time when I hear it.

N & NN are 2 albums that still make me grin every time I hear them.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

I remember quite literally sitting with my mount agape the first time I heard the ascending modulation bridge in "If That's The Way You Feel" while knowing that came out of a teenager's head! I still get goose bumps from time to time when I hear it.

N & NN are 2 albums that still make me grin every time I hear them.
    I agree Steve. I listened to NN today and it's still as fresh and exciting as when I first heard it in 1969.

Loved this band from the very beginning - sad to hear this news

Quote Originally Posted by Calabasas_Trafalgar View Post
    Stewkey was at least a pretty decent singer.
    A crucial choice; Rundgren would have ruined otherwise great songs.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Count me in as another who absolutely loves those first two Nazz albums, and indeed counts the band as THE great undiscovered act of the 60s. I genuinely have no idea why they didn't become massive. Sorry to hear of Carson van Osten's death, but glad to learn that he had such a successful career after the band's demise. Not sure how many of you will have seen this, so I thought I'd share it:

And from the far reaches of the non-Western world comes yet another revelation for the geriatric Nazzophile!

Awesome, thanks Doc!