Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Jon Anderson- Animation

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    I guess they don’t have any radio live concerts available to put as bonus discs for a Deluxe version. That would be a big selling point for me
    There is indeed! A 2.LP Westwood One.Radio show from.Asbury Park , New Jersey and I have it !

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    There is indeed! A 2.LP Westwood One.Radio show from.Asbury Park , New Jersey and I have it !
    Ohhhhhhhhhh. Sounds nice! Never heard of this recording.

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    Ohhhhhhhhhh. Sounds nice! Never heard of this recording.
    Go to post #34 in this thread. There's a Youtube link to the audio
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

a sonic precursor to 90125. my vocal sweet spots of JA are his late 1960’s beatific and lancashire burr informed delivery and the keening new wave style that he developed with advancing middle age. i have somewhat abandonded all things YES at this time but i’m in for this one.

Review of the new Esoteric edition is now up...

https://www.velvetthunder.co.uk/jon-...ered-esoteric/
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

^^ That's a great review. I'm all on board for this.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Eventide delay! Digital delay!

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Review of the new Esoteric edition is now up...

https://www.velvetthunder.co.uk/jon-...ered-esoteric/
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Yikes. Sounds like this one needs to be in my collection, considering I saw the show illustrated in the Velvet Thunder review and I've suffered with the 2006 version since that came out.

Funny anecdote related to this: I caught the Perkins Palace show with a buddy of mine, who was also a Yes fan, but not as much as I was. Or so I thought. I noticed him starting to vibrate about halfway through the show. When Jon and the band launched into the last Yes medley he completely lost it -- shot out of his chair and ran like a screaming fangirl down to the stage to join the throng there.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Sean, I ended up going with a longer review, but I'm curious: how did you get a hold of my original draft?
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Sean, I ended up going with a longer review, but I'm curious: how did you get a hold of my original draft?
    I didn't, I just like that song.

I'm waiting for the follow up- Digitech Multi Effects Processor!

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    From the Eventide page:

Jon "was also the first person to use a prototype of the legendary Eventide H910. He even wrote a song dedicated to his "Eventide Delay" called "Olympia." It's the soundtrack of our 40 Year Anniversary Retrospective video found on our History page."

See, these are the kind of obsessed fans you have to deal with when putting reviews out into the world. This guy is an admin of a Facebook group I posted my recent review in:

fb bozo.jpg

First of all, referring to him using only his first name in all caps like that is creepy, and a sure-fire sign you're not dealing with someone level-headed. It's also amusing to me that he '...loves every album he's ever released', but mainly because he listened to them endlessly until he grasped their unique magnificence. After some vague references to 'awards' he's won for his own reviews (I'm going way out on a limb and guessing they weren't Pulitzers), he asserts that a balanced review should not contain anything negative, when by definition they absolutely should. I can only imagine how grievously wounded he must feel when someone actually does insult poor JON, since my own criticism was as tame as they come, and amounted to one small line in an entire review. It's no wonder some reviewers begin to feel pressured to only praise everything in happy-fluffy-rainbow-bunny land, where weaker songs don't exist.

How much you wanna bet this guy hasn't listened to another artist in 30 years? Oh, and after my last quote, he deleted my post and removed and blocked me from his group. That's what you do with horrible trouble-makers like me. "I love JON so much, I'm deleting this positive review of his album!"

The eons are closing
    Ahhhh....The Cult of JA rises once again to do exactly the opposite of what he 'preaches'.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Animation is my favorite Jon Anderson album but it gets weaker as it goes along. "Surrender" is probably the one song I simply don't like as it makes me cringe, but "Olympia", "Animation" and "All in a Matter of Time" are really quite good early on.
    Mongrel dog soils actor's feet

Quote Originally Posted by Splicer View Post
    "Surrender" is probably the one song I simply don't like as it makes me cringe
    Earlier in this thread I said "even Surrender" was good, but after listening to the album again recently I've changed my mind. It's actually kind of embarrassing to listen to; the calypso and the weird "kid" vocals are goofy enough, but the lyrics... oh boy...

We're gonna send all the weapons up on a starry night,
    Explode them above the atmosphere, it sure sounds right!

... no it doesn't.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

I like "Surrender."

This was reissued maybe ten years ago or so maybe? I'm not sure when I bought it. I remember someone in charge(maybe a record producer)refused to re-release it for some reason. It was finally re-released with two bonus tracks like I said maybe ten years ago. I bought it maybe five or six years ago. It's one of my favorites by him. I still think Olias is his best but this one's right behind it imo. Some of the songs (actually most of them)had to really grow on me though.

With all due respect to JA fans, he is the perfect example of someone needing others to flesh out his ideas. Alone, they're just too thin. With a strong collaborator, they morph into something much, much better. IMHO, of course.

[QUOTE=Progatron;1036736]See, these are the kind of obsessed fans you have to deal with when putting reviews out into the world. This guy is an admin of a Facebook group I posted my recent review in:/QUOTE]

"Stumble a bit"?!?! Yeah, them's fighting words alright. I'm glad I didn't write a review of this, that guy would ban me for life. I don't know why but, despite being a huge Anderson-solo fan, I could never get into this one. Even with great musicians it just sounds terrible to my ears. I'm surprised so many people seem to really like it.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottAM View Post
    I'm glad I didn't write a review of this, that guy would ban me for life.
    Oh, he did ban me for life. After I pointed out how positive the review actually was, and would hopefully lead some people into picking it up (which they have done, I might add). That's when he banned me and removed the review. Some people are so tightly wound, they don't even know what they're raging against. But this guy is a well-known tool who worships at the altar of Jon Anderson and only Jon Anderson, so it was already a gamble on my part to post anything less than 100% glowing.

But this guy is a well-known tool who worships at the altar of Jon Anderson and only Jon Anderson, so it was already a gamble on my part to post anything less than 100% glowing.
    Is it Van E.? In any event, I for one thought your review was excellent. Animation is my favorite Jon Anderson album but it's definitely not without its stumbles...

Quote Originally Posted by malgeo View Post
    Is it Van E.? In any event, I for one thought your review was excellent. Animation is my favorite Jon Anderson album but it's definitely not without its stumbles...
    Thank you! And yes, good ol' Van the man.

Thank you! And yes, good ol' Van the man.
    I suspected as much when I read his response to your brilliant review. Some things, sadly, will never change...

Quote Originally Posted by Koreabruce View Post
    I suspected as much when I read his response to your brilliant review. Some things, sadly, will never change...
    Van had an issue with me in his group once because I shared some Jon A. live dates that had been announced by some venues and he was furious because he told me that I needed to wait until they were official (i.e. on Jon’s website). I tried to explain that some of these had on-sale dates announced and maybe fans would like to be aware. He kicked me out of the group. A friend who was still in his group said he deleted my post and then posted the same info himself as if he was presenting the dates for the first time. He is nuts.