Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Jon Anderson- Animation

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    Van had an issue with me in his group once because I shared some Jon A. live dates that had been announced by some venues and he was furious because he told me that I needed to wait until they were official (i.e. on Jon’s website). I tried to explain that some of these had on-sale dates announced and maybe fans would like to be aware. He kicked me out of the group. A friend who was still in his group said he deleted my post and then posted the same info himself as if he was presenting the dates for the first time. He is nuts.
    As I understand it, this fellow has been called out on several occasions for his over-zealous Jon worship. I seem to recall he was banned from a few sites on these grounds. He absolutely does not tolerate anything less than gushing affection for Jon "God" Anderson.

Will the new Esoteric release feature the unedited full version of "The Spell?" Or will it be the censored version that was on that horrible remaster from last time?

Quote Originally Posted by yesstiles View Post
    Will the new Esoteric release feature the unedited full version of "The Spell?" Or will it be the censored version that was on that horrible remaster from last time?
    It's the same version as far as I can tell, both are around the 11:40 mark - though I was unaware it was censored. How so?
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    It's the same version as far as I can tell, both are around the 11:40 mark - though I was unaware it was censored. How so?
    The section about the ladies being raped was removed. There's also a piano/keyboard solo missing to tighten up the edit.

Quote Originally Posted by yesstiles View Post
    The section about the ladies being raped was removed. There's also a piano/keyboard solo missing to tighten up the edit.
    Yeah, that's not in this version, I never even knew about that!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I checked my old version of "The Spell" against the bonus track versions.

First off, I can't fathom why anyone refers to it as one track. It is distinctly two separate songs. The second 2/3 is the "Twins" (aka as "Two Old Ladies) song. Some weird edits on the bonus track version of that. The rape verse that was excised is 15 seconds long. Also, 45 seconds of Sancious' keyboard solo is also removed from the bonus track version. But then oddly enough, there is an extra 25 seconds of music included in the bonus track version that's not in the original version. I haven't been able yet to indicate what that is. Confusing. And that is all in addition to the 30 seconds or so that is also newly appended to the end of the first 1/3 of the bonus track, also known as the "Child of Lord" song.

Reading that Twitter exchange I knew it could only be Van the Man. Poor chap is clearly not robust enough to be exposed to the white hear of your searing critical assessment

Such a shame they couldn’t add the live set into this new release, similar to the missing RAH Song of Seven show on that issue. So many Esoteric releases are awesome at scraping up such ephemera, but I guess permissions are harder to get in Yes-land.

I still have the vinyl so will probably just stick with this.

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    If you have the Animation CD from 2005 then throw it in the trash. The new one is that much better. It’s my first time ever hearing this album with decent sound.
    "It was a cruel song, but fair."-Roger Waters

Quote Originally Posted by Frumious B View Post
    If you have the Animation CD from 2005 then throw it in the trash. The new one is that much better. It’s my first time ever hearing this album with decent sound.
    Good to know. I was waiting to hear something about this. I'll be getting my copy on Saturday as a birthday gift. The only other copy I have is a needle-drop that a friend did, and is quite good.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Good to know. I was waiting to hear something about this. I'll be getting my copy on Saturday as a birthday gift. The only other copy I have is a needle-drop that a friend did, and is quite good.
    I’d be interested in how the sound compares to the old vinyl. I only had the 2005 CD and a set of files derived from the slightly, but not much, better second version of that release. Both were painful listens. So to go from that to a decently mastered version derived from the actual tapes is a total revelation. It may be less of one for those who own the album on vinyl or who have competently prepared files sourced from vinyl. Normally I would never throw a CD in the trash or advocate for that, but that old Animation CD is so bad that I hate the idea of someone even getting it for a dollar at Goodwill and being subjected to such terrible sound.

I have an original LP that I bought in '82 (along with a 7" of All in a Matter of time with the 'Spider' b-side) that is still in very good condition and a needle drop digital recording of those, with the slightest of Audacity massages has been how I've listened to the album for the past decade or so. This new CD (I got my copy last week) sounds far superior to these ears.

Quote Originally Posted by reynard View Post
    I have an original LP that I bought in '82 (along with a 7" of All in a Matter of time with the 'Spider' b-side) that is still in very good condition and a needle drop digital recording of those, with the slightest of Audacity massages has been how I've listened to the album for the past decade or so. This new CD (I got my copy last week) sounds far superior to these ears.
    I can't imagine there wasn't plenty of room for improvement. I'm encouraged.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

I have vinyl of Animation and this new CD sounds much better. However I have to say that Animation is not very well produced album. This new CD is probably the best that it will ever sound but that ain't much.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    However I have to say that Animation is not very well produced album.
    It was definitely "of its time." But I will say Simon Phillips' drums always sounded awesome IMO.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Gave this a spin today.

Had never heard it before and first impressions are mixed...

Sound is better than I had been lead to believe. Just listening on headphones so far but sounds pretty decent to me.

Some of the 80s production techniques and instrumentation jars, but only slightly.

I also felt that Andersons voice seemed higher than usual in places, not sure if that's how it was mixed.

Songwise, All in a Matter Of Time was instantly recognisable, I must have heard it on a compilation or another Anderson album maybe. (Had a similar experience with Nostalgia from Song Of Seven...I have heard that somewhere before).

I was quite impressed with Boundaries, though despite it appearing in other incarnations elsewhere, it was not familiar. I also liked Surrender, Much Better Reason and All God's Children on first listen.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Mail View Post
    I was quite impressed with Boundaries.
    My wife's favorite track from the album.

A lot of prog snobs diss some of this album, but I think it's as good as anything he's ever done.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    A lot of prog snobs diss some of this album, but I think it's as good as anything he's ever done.
    To me Olias, Animation and Song of Seven are a close 1-2-3. Everything else is a distant also ran. Jon's singing on Animation is some of the best he's ever done. And the live show was fantastic. Too bad there's not an official release from that tour.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    To me Olias, Animation and Song of Seven are a close 1-2-3. Everything else is a distant also ran. Jon's singing on Animation is some of the best he's ever done. And the live show was fantastic. Too bad there's not an official release from that tour.
    I got the New Jersey bootleg from 1982 a few days ago and it’s killer.

It’s not a great record overall, but this track from In The City of Angels is my freakin’ jam, sorta points the way to ABWH:

Also, while Anderson has put out a fair amount of music over the years that I feel no need to own I think he’s been kinda sneaky good lately. I really like Survival & Other Stories, Better Late Than Never, Invention of Knowledge and 1000 Hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post

Semi - official
    https://imusic.dk/music/082356403451...t-stateside-cd

^^^ Whatever helps you sleep at night, but I think 100% bootleg would be an accurate description.

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    ^^^ Whatever helps you sleep at night, but I think 100% bootleg would be an accurate description.

Na! It's legal! A bootleg is illegal!

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    Na! It's legal! A bootleg is illegal!
    Clearly a bootleg, but at least its an FM radio broadcast. The "label" that this is on is releasing a bunch of such live shows from Kraftwerk, The Firm, Jethro Tull, CSN and others.

"One of the tour’s most cherished dates was played on the 6th August ’82 at the Convention Hall in Asbury Park, New Jersey, which was recorded for live FM radio broadcast and transmitted along the East Coast. A quite stunning performance by Jon and his band, this new release contains the entire event and is certain to become a top-drawer collectable for fans of the great man."

CD ONE:
    1. State Of Independence 12:33
    2. Song of Seven 3:31
    3. The Friends of Mr. Cairo 5:29
    4. Gamelan/Close To The Edge 6:57
    5. Heart Of The Sunrise 3:13
    6. Long Distance Runaround/Close To The Edge 8:33
    7. A Play And Display Of The Heart 6:01
    8. Animation 10:33

CD TWO:
    1. Surrender 5:06
    2. All In A Matter Of Time 3:57
    3. Soon 4:26
    4. Perpetual Change 3:59
    5. I’ve Seen Good People 5:31
    6. Yours Is No Disgrace 2:14
    7. Starship Trooper 10:47
    8. Bass/Drum Solo 8:24
    9. Roundabout 5:24
    10. Olympia 5:43

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post

I dont know how some artists who endorse and profit from their archival releases sleep at night!
    Wish I could ask Robert Fripp for my money back!

I think greyzone is the correct term for this sort of release. They aren't official because the bands / artists aren't involved but they aren't completely bootleg either because they do get sold in shops like HMV and Rough Trade. I think they are possible because the master rights belong the radio stations, not the artists. Either the rightholders don't care / can't be found or are involved in this.

In any case I will look forward to getting a copy of this show on CD as I haven't got any live solo Anderson in my collection.
    King Crimson Falkoner Teatret, Copenhagen 23.09.2016
    Roger Waters Palau Sant Jordi, Barcelona 13 & 14.02.2018
    Nick Mason's SOS The Half Moon, London 23.05.2018
    Yes feat ARW The Barbican York, 13.06.2018
    Nick Mason's SOS The Roundhouse 24.09.2018
    Steve Hackett London Palladium 11.10.2018
    Steve Howe The Albany, London 31.10.2018
    Trevor Horn Royal Festival Hall 01.112018
    Fish Islington Assembly, London 07.12.2018
    Steve Hackett Bath Forum 20.11.2019

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    Clearly a bootleg, but at least its an FM radio broadcast. The "label" that this is on is releasing a bunch of such live shows from Kraftwerk, The Firm, Jethro Tull, CSN and others.

"One of the tour’s most cherished dates was played on the 6th August ’82 at the Convention Hall in Asbury Park, New Jersey, which was recorded for live FM radio broadcast and transmitted along the East Coast. A quite stunning performance by Jon and his band, this new release contains the entire event and is certain to become a top-drawer collectable for fans of the great man."

CD ONE:
    1. State Of Independence 12:33
    2. Song of Seven 3:31
    3. The Friends of Mr. Cairo 5:29
    4. Gamelan/Close To The Edge 6:57
    5. Heart Of The Sunrise 3:13
    6. Long Distance Runaround/Close To The Edge 8:33
    7. A Play And Display Of The Heart 6:01
    8. Animation 10:33

CD TWO:
    1. Surrender 5:06
    2. All In A Matter Of Time 3:57
    3. Soon 4:26
    4. Perpetual Change 3:59
    5. I’ve Seen Good People 5:31
    6. Yours Is No Disgrace 2:14
    7. Starship Trooper 10:47
    8. Bass/Drum Solo 8:24
    9. Roundabout 5:24
    10. Olympia 5:43

If its a good as the one on Wolfgangs vault I'll be a happy camper!!! My favourite Rush live album is from one of these FM radio shows; from the Counterpoints tour!
    These actually aren't bootlegs; artists just dont own the licensing of these old radio shows!