Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Jon Anderson- Animation

Its funny, I never play this album - it may go up for resale on Amazon....

I'll take it!

Remaster on the way from Esoteric:

https://www.cherryred.co.uk/product/...anded-edition/

I know the previous CD release had scathing reviews. This one mentions being from the 'Polydor master tapes' and has an extra B side.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    Remaster on the way from Esoteric:

https://www.cherryred.co.uk/product/...anded-edition/

I know the previous CD release had scathing reviews. This one mentions being from the 'Polydor master tapes' and has an extra B side.
    This is great news as Animation is such a great record. There's nothing new here as Spider was a b side and also an extra on the previous release. If this is remastered from the original Polydor tapes then it will be worth buying for that reason alone. Such a shame it wont include a live disc such as the radio concert from Asbury Park; New Jersey. I have it on vinyl and it's a great show.

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    This is great news as Animation is such a great record. There's nothing new here as Spider was a b side and also an extra on the previous release. If this is remastered from the original Polydor tapes then it will be worth buying for that reason alone. Such a shame it wont include a live disc such as the radio concert from Asbury Park; New Jersey. I have it on vinyl and it's a great show.
    +1. I love this album and was just thinking of it last night. The tour was great with a great band. That Asbury Park show is really good, too.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

I'm speechless... I feel I've been waiting 35 years for this.

my vinyl doesn't sound to good anymore. this i hope will be a welcomed release.

+1. I'm all in for this one. My cassette of Animation gave up its ghost sometime in the 90s and I don't think I've listened to this great album since. I refrained from buying the Voiceprint reissue after reading all the bad reviews.

I remember recording an Animation tour show off the radio back in the day. I have no idea what ever happened to that tape but it was a very good show. I'm guessing that might have been Asbury Park.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yz_BNFYJmtA

I did a needle drop transfer of this from my audiophile friend's LP back in 2002. We used his high-dollar turntable, and it came out very nicely, I have to say. There were just a few minor clicks that had to be cleaned up here and there. Otherwise, I did no other processing except normalization since the first track, Olympia, was significantly louder than all of the others for some reason. I still pull this out from time to time to listen. Overall, it's a very good record. Not all of the songs work equally well, but there's no arguing about the superb musicianship on display, and Jon sounds simply wonderful.

I remember reading probably here that the THE ORIGINAL POLYDOR MASTER TAPES were lost.

I recall vividly how we were all puzzling over Voiceprint's atrocious 2007 reissue of this album - brick-wall mastered after being transferred from a rather dodgy LP. I think it was Ken at Laser's Edge (?) who mentioned in amused bewilderment that he knew who actually had the "lost" master tapes and wondered why that person hadn't been contacted. It seems clear now that not a lot of sleuthing went on to actually locate the missing items. Glad to know that's finally being rectified. Animation certainly deserves a proper reissue.

Quote Originally Posted by Koreabruce View Post
    I recall vividly how we were all puzzling over Voiceprint's atrocious 2007 reissue of this album - brick-wall mastered after being transferred from a rather dodgy LP. I think it was Ken at Laser's Edge (?) who mentioned in amused bewilderment that he knew who actually had the "lost" master tapes and wondered why that person hadn't been contacted. It seems clear now that not a lot of sleuthing went on to actually locate the missing items. Glad to know that's finally being rectified. Animation certainly deserves a proper reissue.
    Hmmm... I seem to recall that at the time of the VP reissue it was being reported that the tapes WERE available, but the parties involved couldn't come to an agreement on the licensing terms, so the needle drop was used. Jon apparently had also been given the opportunity to contribute financially to acquire the tapes but declined. This is all based on my somewhat foggy memory of the situation back then, so take it all with a boulder sized grain of salt!
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Okay, I don't remember hearing that, but it sounds feasible.

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    It’s a good album, but the previous CD is literally the worst sounding release in my entire library so I’m definitely game for an improved version.
    "It was a cruel song, but fair."-Roger Waters

Do we actually know who played on which track? I thought Stefano Cerri (and Guy Schiffman) were only on the tour.

Quote Originally Posted by chescorph View Post
    Do we actually know who played on which track? I thought Stefano Cerri (and Guy Schiffman) were only on the tour.
    Stefano Cerri is listed as part of the band in the album credits, with Jack Bruce and John Giblin included in the "With the help of" section.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Sounds great on vinyl.

Quote Originally Posted by chescorph View Post
    Clem Clemson played guitar on the tour, right?
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Clem Clemson played guitar on the tour, right?
    Yes, he did. I was curious who plays what on each track. Clempson and of course Sancious were on the US tour. One of the most amazing shows I ever saw.

But the earlier UK lineup was quite a bit different, with Christopher Rainbow, John Giblin, Morris Pert among others. And I know some of them play on this album as well.

From a Google Group, here was the live band for the 1982 tour:

Guitar - Clem Clempson (ex Humble Pie)
    Keys - David Sancious (E-Street/Gabriel/Sting)
    Bass -Stefano Cerri
    Drums - Guy Schiffman

Here's a little info on the Animation tour from Wikipedia:

1982: Animation Tour
    Typical setlist

"Ocean Song" (1976) (Olias of Sunhillow opening; audiotape played through the PA system)
    "Sleight of Hand" (played at least one time on 30 July 1982 in Philadelphia) (Dave Sancious instrumental)
    "State of Independence" (1981)
    "Song of Seven" (1980) (Intro only) →
    "The Friends of Mr Cairo" (1981)
    "Instrumental#1"
    "Yes medley #1" (including Close to the Edge (1972), Heart of the Sunrise (1971), Wonderous Stories (1977), And You and I (1972), Long Distance Runaround (1971), Close to the Edge (1972) reprise)
    "Band introduction"
    "A Play and Display of the Heart" (1976) (Dave Sancious instrumental)
    "Animation" (1982)
    "Surrender" (1982)
    "All in a Matter of Time" (1982)
    "Dave Sancious keyboards solo" →
    "Soon" (1974)
    "Yes medley #2" (including Perpetual Change (1971), I've Seen All Good People (1971), Yours Is No Disgrace (1971), Starship Trooper (1971), Awaken (1977))
    "Instrumental#2" (Bass & drum solos → Animation jam)
    "Roundabout" (1971)
    "Olympia" (1982)
    Date City Country Venue
    North America
    ? June 1982 Pittsburgh United States
    26 June 1982 Chelsea Canada Camp Fortune
    2 July 1982 Long Beach United States Rumbleseat Theater
    3 July 1982
    5 July 1982 San Diego
    12 July 1982 Vancouver Canada Commodore Ballroom
    13 July 1982 Portland United States The Euphoria
    15 July 1982 San Francisco Old Waldorf
    16 July 1982 Pasadena Perkins Palace
    18 July 1982 Phoenix
    29 July 1982 Columbia Merriweather Post Pavilion
    30 July 1982 Philadelphia Mann Music Center
    3 August 1982 Boston The Metro
    4 August 1982 New York City The Palladium
    6 August 1982 Asbury Park Asbury Park Convention Hall
    7 August 1982 Pittsburgh
    12 August 1982 Quebec City Canada Grand Amphitheater
    13 August 1982 Montreal Verdun Auditorium
    17 August 1982 Atlanta United States Moonshadow Saloon
    20 August 1982 Orlando Bob Carr Center
    21 August 1982 Fort Lauderdale Sunrise Musical Theater
    22 August 1982 Tampa Jai Alai Fronton Hall
    25 August 1982 New Orleans Saenger Theater

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Sounds great on vinyl.
    I got vinyl last year and was suprised that it also sounded quite awful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

Quote Originally Posted by Koreabruce View Post
    From a Google Group, here was the live band for the 1982 tour:

Guitar - Clem Clempson (ex Humble Pie)
    Keys - David Sancious (E-Street/Gabriel/Sting)
    Bass -Stefano Cerri
    Drums - Guy Schiffman

Here's a little info on the Animation tour from Wikipedia:

1982: Animation Tour
    Typical setlist

"Ocean Song" (1976) (Olias of Sunhillow opening; audiotape played through the PA system)
    "Sleight of Hand" (played at least one time on 30 July 1982 in Philadelphia) (Dave Sancious instrumental)
    "State of Independence" (1981)
    "Song of Seven" (1980) (Intro only) →
    "The Friends of Mr Cairo" (1981)
    "Instrumental#1"
    "Yes medley #1" (including Close to the Edge (1972), Heart of the Sunrise (1971), Wonderous Stories (1977), And You and I (1972), Long Distance Runaround (1971), Close to the Edge (1972) reprise)
    "Band introduction"
    "A Play and Display of the Heart" (1976) (Dave Sancious instrumental)
    "Animation" (1982)
    "Surrender" (1982)
    "All in a Matter of Time" (1982)
    "Dave Sancious keyboards solo" →
    "Soon" (1974)
    "Yes medley #2" (including Perpetual Change (1971), I've Seen All Good People (1971), Yours Is No Disgrace (1971), Starship Trooper (1971), Awaken (1977))
    "Instrumental#2" (Bass & drum solos → Animation jam)
    "Roundabout" (1971)
    "Olympia" (1982)
    The recording I have there's a part of the show where Jon steps away and says he's gonna let the band jam for a bit.. perhaps that's the Sancious solo bits. The show I have is from Boston..
    Jon Anderson and Animation
    Jon Anderson- vocals and guitar
    Clem Clemson- guitar
    David Sancious- keyboards
    Stephane Cerri- bass
    Guy Shiffman- drums
    the Metro
    Boston, Mass.
    August 3, 1982
    performance quality A- (very good)
    recording quality: B
    source: master audience tape
    runtime: 112:01
    setlist:
    disc 1 32:53
    1: ? 16:06 (maybe 2 or 3 songs in a medley?)
    2: the friends of Mr. Cairo 5:13
    3: close to the edge 6:23
    4: heart of the sunrise 5:09

disc 2: 79:07
    5: wondrous stories 3:27
    6: and you and I 3:14
    7: long distance runaround 6:15
    8: band introductions 1:09
    9: a play and display of the heart 5:53
    10: animation 10:43
    11: surrender 6:48
    12: perpetual change 4:21
    13: all good people 4:59
    14: yours is no disgrace 2:47
    15: starship trooper 2:39
    16: awaken excerpt 6:56
    17: jam 8:15 (features bass and a drum solo)
    18: roundabout 5:44
    19: olympia 5:51
    http://tela.sugarmegs.org/_asxtela/J...roBostonMA.asx

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Sounds great on vinyl.
    I have it only on USA Atlantic vinyl and it's horrible. Thin and muffled. Maybe I should seek out a UK Polydor?

I guess they don’t have any radio live concerts available to put as bonus discs for a Deluxe version. That would be a big selling point for me