Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any Death fans? Looking for similar recommendations

Ohio's Necrophagia that had been an influence to early Death.

Last edited by spacefreak; 12-28-2015 at 04:05 PM.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

And finally, Mefisto from Sweden, that never had the opportunity to make it on record back at the times. Technical, yet twistedly macabre.

Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Many things to check out here. Thanks a lot guys!

Playing Autopsy's debut now. Another winner.

Watchtower's Control and Resistance was very influential among prog metallers and regarded as the birth of technical death metal. Ron Jarzombek playing his weird odd-rhythm atonal high speed riffs for the first time ever.

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    Ohio's Necrophagia that had been an influence to early Death.
    These guys are playing with Venom Inc on 1/5. I will be there!

I appreciate everyone's suggestions. I have discovered great stuff, even though I have not found one that is better than Death yet... maybe there aren't any? Anyway, for some people turned off by the Death's vocals, Voivod- Dimension Hatross/Nothingface era is a good alternative musically. Amazing stuff.

Well "Morbid Tales" by Celtic Frost is as good as most of Death (I just played it for the second time). I remember liking HellHammer back in the 80's, but Celtic Frost is much more polished. Having a lot of fun researching this stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Romerovm View Post
    Well "Morbid Tales" by Celtic Frost is as good as most of Death (I just played it for the second time). I remember liking HellHammer back in the 80's, but Celtic Frost is much more polished. Having a lot of fun researching this stuff.
    yeah, it's an awesome album. be sure to check out their last one Monotheist, and also Tom Gabriel Fischer's new band, Triptykon. Their two albums continue in the direction that Monotheist took.

YIKES! Celtic Frost are hacks compared to Death! Celtic Frost had a good drummer (Reed St Mark) but Thomas Gabriel is just awful as a singer & Guitarist...imo.

Did you check out Cynic "Focus"? Because that is awesome compared to Death "Human", "Individual Thought Patterns" & "Symbolic"
    " My advice is to get them off right after your shoes and before your trousers... that's the sock gap. Miss it and suddenly you're a naked man in socks. No self-respecting woman will let a naked man in socks do the squelchy with her. "

http://thefairlysecretarmy.bandcamp.com/

http://wavesofmercury.bandcamp.com/

I recognize some of those names from my son's music list, though he's not limited to death metal. I tell him the same thing 9 out of 10 times he asks my opinion, which is if they'd lose the vocalist, they'd have a great instro band there.

I like this song.

Quote Originally Posted by The Czar View Post
    YIKES! Celtic Frost are hacks compared to Death! Celtic Frost had a good drummer (Reed St Mark) but Thomas Gabriel is just awful as a singer & Guitarist...imo.

Did you check out Cynic "Focus"? Because that is awesome compared to Death "Human", "Individual Thought Patterns" & "Symbolic"
    Indeed. Technically they are not comparable. However Celtic Frost captures the Death Metal sound quite well in a more primitive form. I still need to check out Cynic, but I have purchased the entire Death collection. Vinyl and CDs.

Howdy,

I have always been into some black/trash metal, but I had only explored the biggest 80s acts like Slayer, Venom, Metallica among others. Somehow I missed Death. OMG, blown away by these guys.

Do you guys have any recommendations with similar sound? I want to explore strictly 80s and 90s bands.

Thanks in advance.
    You had me going, i was hoping for a thread on these guys

Quote Originally Posted by mike_hunt View Post
    Coroner is one of my favorites.

And I know you said you only wanted to check out 80s and 90s bands, but you really need to give Vehemence a listen. They released a handful of great albums in the early 2000s, took an 11 year break, and just released the excellent album 'Forward Without Motion.'
    I listened to Coroner based on your recommendation, and this is exactly the kind of stuff I am looking for.

I will investigate Vehemence.