Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FEATURED CD: Secret Oyster - Sea Son

FEATURED CD: Secret Oyster - Sea Son

One of my faves from this under-appreciated group.

Review from ProgArchives (avestin):
    I was wandering the other day in a record shop and low and behold, what do I see? Yes, a cd edition of Secret Oyster - Sea Son released this year (2006) by Laser's Edge. I was delighted and picked it up without hesitations since it is a favourite of mine. And why is this a favourite? Well, if you just listen to it I think you will agree that this is a fine example of a quality fusion album, which demonstrates the excellent musicianship abilities of this Danish band. From the moment this starts to the minute it ends you are captivated by the electrifying and mesmerizing guitar sound of Claus Bøhling. Not to say that the others are inferior, not at all. All of them, the bass, drums, keyboards and saxes deliver the goods and more. A good example would be the over 9 minute track - Mind Movie which, while being not overly complex or sophisticated, shows you exactly what they know and you can hear how well trained they are. Claus brings out great voices with his guitar in his solo in this track. Listen to this one in full volume to get the best results. Pajamamfia opens up quietly after the previous musical "riot". But this break does not go on for long, cause after 1:40 minutes you start getting your dish served again. Here you can hear Jess Staehr bass clearly and appreciate his work. However, this track ends too soon for me (it has a fade out and in and out again at the end). It seems they like to create this sort of hypnotic musical loop in their tracks (Mind Movie, Pajamamfia, Black mist, Paella) but it does not mean the music is boring, quite the contrary. As I said in the beginning, it draws you inside their music and makes you move to their rhythm. They don't just stagnate with this repeating theme, but develop it and add more layers and moves to it, making it an interesting as well as enjoyable listen. Plus, those tracks show their improvisational skills and also their inclination towards the Space genre and its psychedelic characteristics. The album is not all fast and packed. You have the more laid back tracks, like Rainforest and Black Mist. They give you another aspect to the band's compositions - a more relaxed and contemplative side.

The great thing about this release on a cd is that it sounds as if it was recorded yesterday. The sound quality is very good. And to top this there are 3 bonus tracks that go well with the general atmosphere of this album.

An exciting instrumental experience, a recommended album to have in your collection. I give it 4 stars.

WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Excellent fusion. I also have Krankenhaus which was equally as good I thought. I couldn't get into Astarte / Vidunderlige Kælling, though.

I prefer their first album though. But its a different animal. More jazzy. Different crew too, a jazzbassist and a rock drummer - reversed in comparison to Sea Son.

I'd never heard of these guys until the year they played NF. Bought this one fairly cheap. Good disc! Been a while since I spun it though...
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

One of my favorite bands from the 70's. Straight to the Krankenhaus could be a desert island disc for me.
    I really appreciate Ken and Laser's Edge for re-releasing their discs.
    I wish I had seen them at NF.

mark
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

After listening to a few cuts all I can say is WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They remind me of Mahavishnu and Weather Report all rolled up into one. Great fusion band. This album is a must buy for me.

They would totally mesmerize Rosfest if they ever played the festival.

Spinning it now on the iPod....good stuff, been awhile since I've heard it.

Always dug this band and have been meaning to check out Burnin' Red Ivanhoe for years but still don't have any. I remember back in the vinyl days liking Coronarius Dans w/ Claus Bohling a lot too.

Burning Red Ivanhoe:

I used to know how to play “Mind Movie” on the piano!

This was my first taste of them when I found the Peters International vinyl back in the 90s, and I never looked back. Reportedly, the band didn’t approve of the string arrangements on “Oysterjungle” and “Painforest,” which were stuck on there at the behest of CBS Records, yet I find they add a certain something to the pieces. Still, I think Straight to the Krankenhaus is my favourite SO.

-------------
    MIKE (a.k.a. "Progbear")

"It is not an obscenity to be free. It is a divine right." --Annette Peacock

N.P.:“Die Sinfonie”-Grobschnitt

Banned
    I only have Astarte/Vidunderlige Kaelling by these guys. What do people think of that one?

Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    I wish I had seen them at NF.
    They were significantly better (I mean like light years) at ProgDay.

That was a SHOW!...
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Love this band. I saw them at NearFest.

Quote Originally Posted by adewolf View Post
    Love this band. I saw them at NearFest.
    The more I listen to this band the more I agree with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Bake 1 View Post
    I remember back in the vinyl days liking Coronarius Dans w/ Claus Bohling a lot too.
    me too... that one is basically a 5th S.O. album (proto-S.O. actually)

I love these guys' balance between Symph and Fusion... some excellent composing finely blended with some excellent soloing
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    I only have Astarte/Vidunderlige Kaelling by these guys. What do people think of that one?
    Not much. It doesn't sound anything like their other material as it was music composed for a ballet. It might work well in that context, but on its own I don't think it works so well.

Quote Originally Posted by sonic View Post
    Not much. It doesn't sound anything like their other material as it was music composed for a ballet. It might work well in that context, but on its own I don't think it works so well.
    It has its moments, like the track where Claus whips out the sitar. Actually, most of the A-side is superb and on a par with the rest of their material. The B-side is definitely lesser, though, save for the outro. Overall, it’s definitely the weakest of their four albums; you only really need it if you already have the others.

-------------
    MIKE (a.k.a. "Progbear")

"It is not an obscenity to be free. It is a divine right." --Annette Peacock

N.P.:“If I Could Do It All Over Again, I’d Do It All Over You”-Caravan

Quote Originally Posted by sonic View Post
    Excellent fusion. I also have Krankenhaus which was equally as good I thought. I couldn't get into Astarte / Vidunderlige Kælling, though.
    Totally agree... (and yes, Astarte is not my thing at all >> the only one I didn't buy the Laser reissue)
    Despite a different line-up, the debut is also worth the hunt

================

Ken, do you have news about that 70's live album you had a project upon? (not speaking of the reunion live album)
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    It has its moments, like the track where Claus whips out the sitar. Actually, most of the A-side is superb and on a par with the rest of their material. The B-side is definitely lesser, though, save for the outro. Overall, it’s definitely the weakest of their four albums; you only really need it if you already have the others.

Yup, the b-side evoking the french cabaret music is nearly atrocious to my ears... And to be honest the A-side doesn't do much for me either...
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Does anyone have the Live in the USA album? Can someone give us their critique of it.

This is where I beg to differ - for me Astarte is probably their finest hour, a highly unusual LP which explores a lot of styles and genres different to Secret Oyster's usual fare. I'm not too keen on fusion as a whole, and though this band is one of my favorite representatives of this genre (particularly Straight to the Krankenhaus, a truly excellent LP), they still get more interesting when they allow themselves a few unexpected diversions.

The featured album, Sea Son, is very nice too, but then again, I think they didn't have bad albums at all. Still, it's a shame they disbanded around 1977 as I think they were only getting better and better.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Levgan View Post
    This is where I beg to differ - for me Astarte is probably their finest hour, a highly unusual LP which explores a lot of styles and genres different to Secret Oyster's usual fare. I'm not too keen on fusion as a whole, and though this band is one of my favorite representatives of this genre (particularly Straight to the Krankenhaus, a truly excellent LP), they still get more interesting when they allow themselves a few unexpected diversions.

The featured album, Sea Son, is very nice too, but then again, I think they didn't have bad albums at all. Still, it's a shame they disbanded around 1977 as I think they were only getting better and better.
    Thanks for your kind words on Astarte. Haven't heard it in years, but my first impression of it was that it sounded similar to The Snow Goose.

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    Thanks for your kind words on Astarte. Haven't heard it in years, but my first impression of it was that it sounded similar to The Snow Goose.

Better relisten to it quick

Secret Oyster as 'Bøhling/Vogel' (more or less)

Claus Bøhling - guitar, Karsten Vogel - sax, Niels Ratzer - drums and Assi Roar - bass.

Great stuff, thx for sharing

I see there is also a set in the same festival of the other Danish 70's prog band, Ache