Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Are Marillion Still Neo Prog?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by StevegSr View Post
    (...) but OK Computor did have it's prog moments. (...)
    Not for these ears because Post Rock is not Prog Rock for me.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Yeah, Post Rock is like the most overrated genre, IMO. Well, one of the most.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Yeah, Post Rock is like the most overrated genre, IMO. Well, one of the most.
    Of course. Well, I don't deny that there are some of contemporary bands and solo artists who succesfully merged the post-rock with prog rock elements so they sound proggy aswell, but Radiohead is certainly not one of them - simply because Radiohead is a mainstream alt.rock band.

As an example of succesfully married post-rock with progressive rock elements but nothing of mainstreamy alt.rock like e.g. Radiohead, here is Ana Never from Novi Sad, Serbia, with their awesome instrumental album entitled Small Years :

http://ananever.bandcamp.com/album/small-years
    Last edited by Svetonio; 01-20-2016 at 09:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Svetonio View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by StevegSr View Post

(...) but OK Computor did have it's prog moments. (...)
    Not for these ears because Post Rock is not Prog Rock for me.

Steve, Kid A is even proggier than OKC (except for that Idiotheque track)

Svt, Radiohead started making post-rock from Amnesiac (2001) onwards

Everything before that (4 or 5 albums) is Alternative rock, with OKC and KA having a proggy slant (some would argue that Pablo Honey as well).
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Steve, Kid A is even proggier than OKC (except for that Idiotheque track)

Svt, Radiohead started making post-rock from Amnesiac (2001) onwards

Everything before that (4 or 5 albums) is Alternative rock, with OKC and KA having a proggy slant (some would argue that Pablo Honey as well).
    Nothing is Prog re Radiohead. They are mainstream Alt.Rock band who recorded that Kid A the album which is more in the style of Art Rock (not Prog) and that's all.

Quote Originally Posted by Svetonio View Post
    Nothing is Prog re Radiohead. They are mainstream Alt.Rock band who recorded that Kid A the album which is more in the style of Art Rock (not Prog) and that's all.
    wall.gif
    Please forgive me father, for I forgot again you were the Post-Doc honoris causa expert on the realities of prog siffle.gif
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Everything Radiohead have produced from OKC forward is prog to these ears. Their alt rock history begins and ends with Pablo Honey and ends with The Bends. It's a waste of time trying to define prog as everyone has a different opinion and its been talked to death on both sites. Just accept opinions differ.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Everything Radiohead have produced from OKC forward is prog to these ears. Their alt rock history begins and ends with Pablo Honey and ends with The Bends. It's a waste of time trying to define prog as everyone has a different opinion and its been talked to death on both sites. Just accept opinions differ.
    As I've stated before Ian, (I think it's Ian, as the avatar seems familiar) that I don't really dig Radiohead and that always takes away someone's objectivity. At least I think it does with me.

I was not actually trying to say that Radiohead is not Prog. What I meant was that the band is associated with "Alt. Rock" from beginning records the same way that many "Neo Prog" bands are tagged with the "Neo Prog" label, even if they have evolved dramatically over time. Pick any modern day "Neo Prog" band and I think you'll find that they are pretty much doing their own thing.

And, by the way, I'm glad that you enjoy Radiohead. Their are certainly talented, no matter what box someone puts them in.
    To be or not to be? That is the point. - Harry Nilsson.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Oh I certainly agree with that, I'm not a huge fan of neo but given my understanding is that that meant they were primarily early genesis inspired they've much more into broader definitions. I think I probably have 3 neo albums by PA's definitions.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.