Thread: The Flower Kings – 2015 solo and side projects and what’s up in 2016?

The Flower Kings – 2015 solo and side projects and what’s up in 2016?

There was no TFK album in 2015 but I wanted to start a thread for us TFK fans to talk about the 2015 solo and side projects and muse on what might be upcoming for 2016 in the World of Adventures.

Of course the big news of the year was the Kaipa reunion. 3/4 of the classic 1970’s lineup reunited for a series of live dates. (Roine Stolt, Ingemar Bergman, Tomas Eriksson along with Tomas Bodin taking over keys and Michael Stolt on guitar and vox) This was pretty exciting and the first time most of this material has been played live in well over 30 years. I was hoping we would get a live official bootleg cd or something from this tour but nothing released yet. Not sure if Bodin is even a part of KDC currently since the Facebook page lists a different keyboardist: Max Lorentz.

Then the second half of the year Roine has been on the road with Steve Hackett and the Acolyte to Wolflight tour.

So for official releases and new material 2015 was a pretty slow year (by Flower Kings standards) but there was some great stuff to be had.

The Tangent – A Spark in the Aether - (TFK Connection: Jonas Reingold bass) This was the album of the year for me. Fantastic stuff. It set a pretty high expectation by tagging itself The Music that Died Alone: Part 2 but I think it lived up to that lofty classic. Probably the best Tangent lineup we have had. Codpieces and Capes is a great self-referential prog epic. The Celluloid Road took me a bit longer to appreciate but once it did the whole album worked and it probably got the most repeat plays for me this year.

Hasse Froberg & Musical Companion – HFMC - I liked this one better than Powerplay and I think it even tops the debut. “Pages” is a really great one sounding like some lost mid to late 70’s classic rock song. Strong writing on this one, all the songs have good melodies and choruses.

Nad Sylvan – Courting the Widow (TFK Connection: Jonas Reingold bass, Roine Stolt guitar, Agents of Mercy) - close second for me for album of the year. Highly emotional work from Nad who pours his heart into creating each song. He comes into his own with this one and I wish they would play a song or two on the Steve Hackett tour. The songs would certainly fit in.

Tomas Bodin – She Belongs to Another Tree - released as a download only, the latest from Bodin is mellower then last year’s Barracuda Triangle, more along the lines of Cinematograaf. Psychedelic and trippy soundscapes. Interesting and a little weird as always from Mr. Bodin.

Michael Stolt - En hedonist utan skam – just released. I ordered it from TFK webshop and just received it but have yet to listen. A pop album from the former TFK bass player from what I understand. Roine is on it as is Marcus Lilliequist, and Tomas Bodin

I think that was it for 2015 recordings involving TFK , did I miss any?

So what is in store for 2016?

We know that first off is….

Kaipa Da Capo – When asked on facebook what was happening after the end of the Steve Hackett tour Roine said “Yes - next is KDC - album recording. I've done writing sessions early mornings and late nights at hotels - even after soundchecks - ........”

The remaining Kaipa remasters should be released (Solo from 1978, Hander from 1980 and Nattdjurstid from 1982)

Live Steve Hackett CD and DVD - I’m pretty sure one of the London shows was filmed so we should get a live document of Roine playing bass and 12 string on the Hackett tour. Really looking forward to seeing that. The live clips I’ve seen have been outstanding.

Swedish Family II – The Lost Tapes (Bodin, with Stolt and Hasse Bruniusson) - follow up to 2004 project

Crime of the Century - a rock opera (Bodin with Hasse Froberg) one song already up on soundcloud

Karmakanic – new album - Jonas posted on Facebook that he was mixing this now.

Maybe new Flower Kings in the second half of 2016?

Also since Roine has been touring with Nad I’m hoping they worked on some ideas for a new Agents of Mercy album.

That’s all I know for sure. I know Felix Lehrmann is a busy guy but I think it is mostly live performing for German artists and not really prog related, I’m not sure if he was on any official releases in 2015. Nothing from Pain of Salvation in 2015, maybe 2016? I also have no idea what other TFK alumni like Jaime Salazar, Zoltan Csörsz, Marcus Liliequist are doing.

Interested what others thought of the 2015 releases and if I missed any....and if anyone has heard anything else about what is up for next year.

I've been out of the loop on recent TFK-related releases so thanks for this list.
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

As always, Bodin's album is interesting because it seems full of bits and pieces that weren't used for a TFK album. HFMC was okay, but didn't really grab me. I really look forward to a new Karmakanic album. Great band. I'm never disappointed.
    Mongrel dog soils actor's feet

Long time fan here but the last studio album was very poor, didn't do it for me at all so I'm wondering if they are done.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    Long time fan here but the last studio album was very poor, didn't do it for me at all so I'm wondering if they are done.
    There's a difference between something being "very poor" and something that "didn't do it" for you.
    Mongrel dog soils actor's feet

Also released in 2015 were the stunningly beautiful Japanese mini lp remastered cd's of the first 4. 1) Roine Stolt - The Flower King, 2) The Flower Kings - Back In The World of Adventures, 3) The Flower Kings - Retropolis and 4) The Flower Kings - Stardust We Are. I bought all 4 together from Greg Walker and had Roine autograph them after one of the Hackett shows last month. It was so nice chatting with him. I just played The Flower King yesterday. Love it. Will play Back In The World next.

Hmm, I thought it was a pretty good album. Considering that two albums ago, Sum of No Evil was being called "prog by numbers", I thought Desolation Rose was probably the most song-oriented thing they've done, with nothing in the way of epics or long meandering instrumental sections.
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

I love Desolation Rose but I am extremely biased when it comes to TFK's. I adore all twelve studio albums.

Hopefully 2016 will see a new record from The Flower Kings, Agents Of Mercy, Karmakanic and The Tangent. Maybe KDC and Kaipa can both releases something as well. That would make my year!!!
    The Prog Corner

Not to be forgotten would be the new(-ish) band, The Fringe, which is composed of Randy McStine, Jonas Reingold, and NDV

Quote Originally Posted by Mt. Pleasant Farm View Post
    Also released in 2015 were the stunningly beautiful Japanese mini lp remastered cd's of the first 4. 1) Roine Stolt - The Flower King, 2) The Flower Kings - Back In The World of Adventures, 3) The Flower Kings - Retropolis and 4) The Flower Kings - Stardust We Are.
    I'm intrigued! To be honest though I'm not sure what a Japanese mini lp/cd even is. Are they remastered by Roine? Any bonus tracks or extras? Do they sound quite a bit different? I did get the triple lp Stardust We Are vinyl release and thought that was beautiful. I might have to get these Japanese mini things if I can figure out what the heck they are

I thought Desolation Rose was one of their strongest and would put it in their top tier. It did take me a little longer to click but I'm used to that with new Flower Kings albums. I really look at the whole thing as one long song like Garden of Dreams. I made a mix that added in the bonus tracks that I think works even better.

Quote Originally Posted by kenschwartz View Post
    Not to be forgotten would be the new(-ish) band, The Fringe, which is composed of Randy McStine, Jonas Reingold, and NDV
    Ahh yes, good call!! I forgot about that one. Sounds very promising!

The Japanese have been reissuing cd's reproducing the original lp's for several years now. The quality is second to none with both the covers and the sound. High gloss covers reissued exactly like the original covers including gatefolds and tri-folds. With these particular cd's, there are no bonus tracks so I don't know if they are worth your investment unless you are a collector. I didn't have the first 4 so it was a really good investment for me.

Thanks for the update. I've been wondering what Roine's been up to, especially before the Steve Hackett tour started.

Getting to see Barracuda Triangle live on CTTE last month was a very good "highlight" of Flower King-family music this year. I hope Roine is still with Hackett in the spring when I see them in Boulder, would love to see Roine in that context.

I'm mostly hoping that a new Agents of Mercy album is born out of all the time Roine & Nad are on the road together. Would welcome that in 2016!

ScottAM, yes Roine is with Steve Hackett until next summer. He personally told me this. He also said that he was not able to announce his next project yet! Stay tuned.

Quote Originally Posted by Garden Dreamer View Post
    I thought Desolation Rose was probably the most song-oriented thing they've done, with nothing in the way of epics or long meandering instrumental sections.
    Hmm, well said. Unfortunately for me, none of the songs were particularly noteworthy. I'll give it another chance or three...

I just heard most of Desolation Rose again for the first time in months and I think it's growing on my a bit, but still is one I'd place closer to the bottom of the list of TFK albums.

Pretty sure Roine commented recently that there would be another TFK album at some point - the band is not done. I'm sure it won't be soon though.
    <sig out of order>

One more thing to add to the 2016 Flower Kings roster:

Zoltan Csörsz announced on Facebook that on January 15 he will release a DVD called "The Red Flower" that is a documentary of sorts of the time he was in TFK 2001-2003 - with live clips and interviews. Not a lot of detail yet about it or even how to order it. I remember back then him mentioning he was making a movie about the band but then he left and it seemed like the idea was just dropped; very glad to see if finally come out. Post is here along with a short promo clip for it https://www.facebook.com/zoltan.csor...53351564798295

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Thanks for that rundown, SRS. The Steve Hackett show I saw in November was easily one of the best shows of the year, and seeing Roine on bass was a complete surprise. I only found out a moment before the show started that Roine was playing bass.

Then just a couple of days later I saw Barracuda Triangle on CTTE, and had a long hang with Tomas one night.

Quote Originally Posted by kenschwartz View Post
    Happy New Year! The Fringe is making some progress...