Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Led Zeppelin

Oh good grief, when will this madness end?

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Oh good grief, when will this madness end?
    People are entitled to a fair trial. This one was deemed unfair. Due process, bro.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    People are entitled to a fair trial. This one was deemed unfair. Due process, bro.
    This guy should be an expert witness at the hearing, he pretty well settles it right here.

"The Bill of Rights says nothing about the freedom of hearing. This, of course, takes a lot of the fun out of the freedom of speech." - Pat Paulsen

My Art- http://www.facebook.com/williamallenrenfro -My Life

^ Excellent.

Zeppelin should be sued by the Otis Rush estate.......RIP

if you play the Spirit track backward it's Stairway...... just kidding.

Quote Originally Posted by BravadoNJ View Post
    if you play the Spirit track backward it's Stairway...... just kidding.
    If you play it backwards, it's Stairway to hell.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

If you play it backwards, it's Stairway to hell.
    I’m rehearsing my friend’s instrumentals. He has a song called Stairway To Hell. You can find it on this page. https://gtinkmusic.com/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Superfly View Post
    This guy should be an expert witness at the hearing, he pretty well settles it right here.

Just watched this. Exactly. Play this for the jury, case closed. Totally bogus.

Bill

OpenMusic comment
    The thing is if you listen to "Dido's Lament" by Henry Purcell, the sequence is the same. The counter-melody on Stairway to heaven is also very different to Taurus which doesn't really have a counter-melody at all. Yes the it is the same chord sequence but if that is grounds for copyright claims then we may as well just posthumously sue: Bach, Vivaldi, Telemann, Corelli, Purcell etc. because they all used the same established harmonic sequences like the falling bass and cycle of 5ths. Hell Katy Perry, Jessie J, Justin Bieber, U2, John Lennon they all used the famous"4-chord sequence" should they be sued as well? The grounds for copyright claim falls apart even further when you consider that those riffs are a part of a wider song that vary massively from one another. I don't see how it is justifiable to isolate one part of a piece of music and cry foul. It is like taking two songs that have a C-F-G-C chord sequence and removing the musical layering over them and deciding that is grounds for a copyright claim

Damn these guys sound an awful lot like Greta Van Fleet.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Did you guys know that the phrase ‘Black Dog’ refers to depression? I guess Zep were referring to a specific dog, but they’d probably have known the term. Just heard it used on an episode of Masterpiece.

^ The Black Dog was a legendary creature in Britain, going back to antiquity, iirc. It haunted the moors, and was located in the Norfolk area, if I'm not mistaken. I don't think it was a Black Country legend, but maybe I'm not remembering correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    ^ The Black Dog was a legendary creature in Britain, going back to antiquity, iirc. It haunted the moors, and was located in the Norfolk area, if I'm not mistaken. I don't think it was a Black Country legend, but maybe I'm not remembering correctly.
    Winston Churchill called his frequent bouts with depression his "black dog". Allegedly, "Churchill picked up the term “black dog,” a commonplace description by Victorian nannies for out-of-sorts children, from his childhood nurse, Mrs. Everest."
    "And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

^ Doesn't impact the older legends in the slightest.

^ Didn't indicate that it did. Merely adding layers to the onion. Or dog, as the case may be.
    "And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

The dog in question was a black Laborador that kept wandering around the area of the Headly Grange studio where Led Zeppelin were recording parts of their fourth album.

I never knew "Black Dog" was about a depressed Labrador formerly owned by Churchill.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffCarney View Post
    I'd add "Children Of The Grave," and I'd add the finale of the song "Black Sabbath."

Deep Purple's In Rock was also very influential on Maiden and indeed much of the NWOBHM scene.
    You also have to add in the harmony guitars from Thin Lizzy and Wishbone Ash. That's how I got into those two bands, because I saw interviews with Steve Harris, Adrian Smith, and Dave Murray where they talked about Lizzy and Ash.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    You also have to add in the harmony guitars from Thin Lizzy and Wishbone Ash. That's how I got into those two bands, because I saw interviews with Steve Harris, Adrian Smith, and Dave Murray where they talked about Lizzy and Ash.

I never knew "Black Dog" was about a depressed Labrador formerly owned by Churchill.

Oh, yeah. Her name was “Hey Hey” but she was also known as “Uh Uh”....
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dark Elf View Post
    Winston Churchill called his frequent bouts with depression his "black dog". Allegedly, "Churchill picked up the term “black dog,” a commonplace description by Victorian nannies for out-of-sorts children, from his childhood nurse, Mrs. Everest."
    Nick Drake's 'Black Eyed Dog' is another variation on the theme, and a bone-chilling one at that.

Quote Originally Posted by Halmyre View Post
    Nick Drake's 'Black Eyed Dog' is another variation on the theme, and a bone-chilling one at that.
    "Black Shuck" by The Darkness is yet another take on the legend.

Black Dog was the first Led Zeppelin song I heard ever. I was 13 I think. It changed my life. My metal leanings started with that song.