Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Name a few songs that exemplify early Kraut Rock...

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Also named Cluster '71 - yes, that's a great one!
    Cluster '71 was their first album (just called "Cluster" when originally released) hence their second LP was called "Cluster II." They're NOT the same album. Cluster '71 is a lot closer to Kluster, the band they were before Conny Schnitzler left.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Cluster '71 was their first album (just called "Cluster" when originally released) hence their second LP was called "Cluster II." They're NOT the same album. Cluster '71 is a lot closer to Kluster, the band they were before Conny Schnitzler left.
    Yes. I'm so sorry.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Kraan isnt often mentioned either, allthough the first two albums smells of kraut.
    The 'genre' is not that broad since the rest of their albums isnt considered kraut. Neither does Guru Guru or Munju, a.o.
    Kraut is not a sound or a style or even a genre - but there must be something?
    Atypical compositions, no use of cliches or elements from known defined genres? Dunno...
    Where Kraan's debut has the vibe you allude to, their second album Wintrup is very much an underrated, overlooked monster of a rock album.
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Quote Originally Posted by jake View Post
    Jean-Herve Peron of Faust gives an expalnation before Faust launch into.....'Krautrock'
    Funny that the explanation should come from the French member of Faust!

No idea if it’s true, but I heard that Polydor saw the interest that bands like Can and Amon Düül II were generating, and hired a bunch of musicians and conceptual artists to be Faust to cash in on the trend. If so, it’s funny that some of the best and most typically Krautrock stuff should have such crass beginnings!

Quote Originally Posted by strawberrybrick View Post
    I see no mention of Cluster, but Cluster II would be a great place to start.
    I really like this one. Not to all tastes, very drony and harsh, but cool to listen to on occasion. I like the inner gatefold, with the picture of the band’s studio/recording/rehearsal space. Were all those instruments used on the recording? GEM combo organ? Cello? Lap-steel guitar? If so, I imagine they’re all heavily electronically processed!

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    It may seem strange but before the days of the krautrock "revival" of the 90s, when around the genre were more dedicated listeners, I often saw Floh de Cologne mentioned in articles concerning rock in Germany alongside with other "curiosities" as Embryo, Checkpoint Charlie, Moira etc. It's bands like Oktober or Locomotive Kreuzeberg or Ougenweide, that never showed-up. Probably not so obvious references.
    Oktober sound to me like a German-language Yes plus a ton of leftist sloganeering. Weird. Some of Eulenspygel’s stuff strikes me this way too, as does some of the Austrian polit-rock stuff (like P. P. Zahl).
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    Funny that the explanation should come from the French member of Faust!
    Actually Zappi Dieirmaier is Austrian and Rudolf Sosna was Russian - so it is even more ironic they be branded as Krautrock.

Actually Zappi Dieirmaier is Austrian and Rudolf Sosna was Russian - so it is even more ironic they be branded as Krautrock.
    Hey, I listed Dom, and that’s ¾ comprised of Hungarian expats!

Speaking of which, how long until someone mentions Nektar, a band who have never had a German member!
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    Hey, I listed Dom, and that’s ¾ comprised of Hungarian expats!
    Along those lines, I always thought the Plastic People of the Universe sounded a lot like a typical "Krautrock" band - and they were 100% Czechoslovak. Maybe all we are doing here is demonstrating, yet again, the uselessness of labeling music.

Dies Irae - The Trip (1971)

Along those lines, I always thought the Plastic People of the Universe sounded a lot like a typical "Krautrock" band - and they were 100% Czechoslovak. Maybe all we are doing here is demonstrating, yet again, the uselessness of labeling music.
    Or, demonstrating that the term "Krautrock" -- like the term "Canterbury Rock" -- are stylistic sobriquets, not geographic.

Accept's "Fast As Shark" but it only starts kraut. Then it becomes something else. :-)

Wow, I forgot making this thread...

Quote Originally Posted by strawberrybrick View Post
    Where Kraan's debut has the vibe you allude to, their second album Wintrup is very much an underrated, overlooked monster of a rock album.
    Jack Steam!!!

How about this one? It's one of the few that was on the Supernatural Fairy Tales Box set back in the 90s. There was a Can song on there too but I forget which one (something from Tago Mago I think).

Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

My introduction to Krautrock was The Man Machine by Kraftwerk. I bought the English language version of the album because I had heard good things about Kraftwerk. I was far less than impressed. In fact the worst thing about it in my opinion at the time was the corny lyrics. That and the minimalist approach really put me off. I used to play it for my friends just to laugh at the lyrics. Some years later someone let me hear the German language version of the album and I actually found it listenable. Go figure.