Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Focus - Hamburger Concerto

I have Moving Waves and Hamburger Concerto. I made myself a cd containing side 2 of each album. Delicious!
    “One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain.”

This is exactly my take on HC. Good music ruined by a drummer better suited for the likes of, say, Bad Company.
    "Young man says you are what you eat, eat well."
    http://www.blissbomb.net/

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickleback View Post
    This is exactly my take on HC. Good music ruined by a drummer better suited for the likes of, say, Bad Company.
    Didn't Colin Allen play with Stone The Crows before Focus?

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    Didn't Colin Allen play with Stone The Crows?
    Yeah, and Mayall....
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    Don't like this one. The band wasn't the same after Pierre van der Linden left. Colin Allen was a poor plodding substitute who ruins the record for me. It's a shame, because I really wanted to like it.
    Judging by the Ship Of Memories sessions, Pierre had pretty much lost it by that point anyway. I like Colin just fine, the straight-forward approach suits the material imo. I do have to say that seeing him play the older material live would have been a horror show though.
    Ships of Memories is a scrape-the-bottom-of-the-drawer album... but it's tons better than Mother Focus (easily their worst, IMHO)

Con Proby has some moments, though

===============

Has Vanderlinden brought back some impetus in the reunited Focus?? Can't remember seeing them live since he came back...
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

While I wouldn't say Colin Allen "ruined" this album, his relative "clumpiness" certainly detracts from it - van der Linden was/is a wonderfully light, propulsive drummer, and helped Focus swing imo. I was always amazed at how much he could do with a small kit. I think HC - a decent album - could have been a very good one with him on it.

Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post
    Pretty good, but I rate it third after Moving Waves and Focus 3.....
    So do I.

Quote Originally Posted by Stickleback View Post
    Good music ruined by a drummer better suited for the likes of, say, Bad Company.
    Before joining Focus he played in Bob Dylan's band. I agree, his style is too much rudimental for bands like Focus.

theri best cd. 3 imo was a bit bloated moving waves was pretty killer and hamburger concerto was just right. so hc, then mw then 3

This is a band that lost it early on IMO. The fist album was an awesome prog pop album full off great tunes, Moving Waves was their masterpiece ... and them came III, which is too longwinded and a let down from MW. After that Akkerman's solo material is more interesting than anything focus put out — Profile, Tabernakel, Eli and the s/t (1978) are all worth listening to. Focus con Proby is the only album I can be bothered with after MW.

Quote Originally Posted by sonic View Post
    This is a band that lost it early on IMO. The fist album was an awesome prog pop album full off great tunes, Moving Waves was their masterpiece ... and them came III, which is too longwinded and a let down from MW. After that Akkerman's solo material is more interesting than anything focus put out — Profile, Tabernakel, Eli and the s/t (1978) are all worth listening to. Focus con Proby is the only album I can be bothered with after MW.
    I actually think that's a pretty solid assessment, except I do think HC is a really damn good album. Con Proby is a weird animal- it has some really good stuff on it and some moments that make me puke out my ears.

I guess I'll have to give HC another go. It's just a matter of whether I can get past the drumming or not.

Speaking of drumming on Focus albums, the guy on the first album was a beast.

Quote Originally Posted by sonic View Post
    I guess I'll have to give HC another go. It's just a matter of whether I can get past the drumming or not.
    Start with the 21-minute title track.
    Regards,

Duncan

I earlier rated HC third after MW and 3. Gave it a spin last night to re-fresh my memory: consequently, I don't rate it at all, now. Pomp & filler. Pass.....
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Got a years worth of drink coupons and I'm going to get fitshased on the plane ride back from Vegas tomorrow, this one is pencilled in

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

I love that epic title track but the vocalization sections always have me reaching for the fast-forward.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I loved this when it came out and bought it on cd back in the 80's and I became kind of luke warm over it since. Moving Waves blows it away.

There's a section towards the end of HC's title track that I just love to bits!! When the Mellotron choir kicks in...such a gorgeous chord progression. The rest of the piece I find a little bit too stretched out for my taste, but I really enjoy side 1. Always found the drumming to be perfectly suited to the music myself.

Matt.

Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post
    I earlier rated HC third after MW and 3. Gave it a spin last night to re-fresh my memory: consequently, I don't rate it at all, now. Pomp & filler. Pass.....
    I was never really much of a Focus fan, but I agree that there are lots of fine music on both MW and 3. I also kinda like "Le Cathedral de Strasbourg" from HC, but other than that I think the whole affair is quite dull.

So many other Dutch 70s progressive bands I enjoy way more than this combo.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Most likely you are refering to the themes that were borrowed from a Brahms piece called "Variations on a Theme by Haydn." Brahms was born in Hamburg Germany and I think that was the inside reference. The Brahms piece is beautiful.

Rick
    Last edited by Fracktured; 01-10-2013 at 09:42 AM.

Because of this thread I pulled out the old vinyl and gave it a partial spin last night. It's been decades since I listened to any of it. Yeah, not their best, but I liked it more than I thought I would. The obvious highlight being "Strasbourg."

- Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I love that epic title track but the vocalization sections always have me reaching for the fast-forward.
    I can live without the gargling in the middle, but I really like the little hymn before the finale.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I love the vocals!!!!

But then I am odd. I also love "Cyclone" by Tangerine Dream. And Magma. I guess I like strange vocal noises.