Thread: Buying CDs From Australia

Buying CDs From Australia

There are quite a few Australian rock bands that I am a fan of. Sometimes I find that buying their albums online can be a little pricey as they are often considered as an import when sold online. Can someone recommend where I can buy such CDs online at cheaper price? I know that there are several Australian PE'rs here so I thought that someone here might know.

Library Jon

Suspended
    You could try JB HiFi - they have an online store as well as being a chain of physical shops selling music and electronic goods.

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/

The only other online Australian vendor I have used is an outfit called Timewarp Records, which I think has an association with the legendary Glenn A Baker. I could not say whether or not it is cheap as I think it deals in stuff that is fairly old and hard to get elsewhere, therefore you cannot fairly compare the prices with standard CD prices elsewhere.

http://timewarp.com.au/

As well as JB Hi-Fi, check out Redeye Records, based in Sydney. They have a long history, are entirely legit and know their stuff.

https://www.redeye.com.au/iAsk.asp?reion=USA

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

Maybe it isn't so brutal with CDs, but I've stopped buying LPs from Oz. The Australian Postal Service jacked the rates into the stratosphere a few years ago. Makes the Dutch PO look positively sane.

What are you after Jon?

You can buy directly from the band's sites in some cases.
    “Pleasure and pain can be experienced simultaneously,” she said, gently massaging my back as we listened to her Coldplay CD.

Yes, what are you looking for? I have an online store and free shipping (included in the cost of CDs and LPs). It's still pretty new, but i'm working on the inventory.

There is an obscure 80s Australian new wave band called Real Life which I have rediscovered recently. I do already own their classic albums but they are on cassette. Most of them are very expensive on Amazon.

Library Jon

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Library Jon View Post
    There is an obscure 80s Australian new wave band called Real Life which I have rediscovered recently. I do already own their classic albums but they are on cassette. Most of them are very expensive on Amazon.

Library Jon
    I remember them - they had the hit "Send Me an Angel" and another one - might have been "Catch Me I'm Falling". I never particularly either liked nor disliked them. They were listenable.

They came and went, they were very much of their time. Much like Kids In the Kitchen.

I've got Real Life on LP.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Maybe it isn't so brutal with CDs, but I've stopped buying LPs from Oz. The Australian Postal Service jacked the rates into the stratosphere a few years ago. Makes the Dutch PO look positively sane.
    Well, I believe the Canadian posts can't be outdone in that expensive department, but they've been at it for decades too.

Dutch PO never seemed particularly expensive to me... I'd say it is in the European norm, though their land is small & flat, so except for canals everywhere, it's obstacle-less and should maybe be a tad cheaper.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Well, I believe the Canadian posts can't be outdone in that expensive department, but they've been at it for decades too.
    They're expensive. Probably doesn't seem prohibitive to me because I'm on the same continent. For shipping overseas, they may be off the charts too.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Dutch PO never seemed particularly expensive to me... I'd say it is in the European norm, though their land is small & flat, so except for canals everywhere, it's obstacle-less and should maybe be a tad cheaper.
    No, I've been buying off Discogs from many Euro sellers, so comparing rates is doable with a big enough sample size. The Dutch are the most expensive. They have a flat weight based rate, where everything up to a certain weight costs the same (and it ain't cheap.) It's a big enough range that you wind up paying the same rate for a small item as you do for much larger items. Dutch sellers try to use it as a selling point to induce the purchasing of more items, as the postage cost won't change (until a certain weight is reached.)
    Spain is expensive, but not as bad as the Netherlands. Italy a bit less so. Some of the Scandinavian countries a bit less than them. The best Euro rates are from France and especially Germany. If I have a choice between several Euro sellers, and all else is equal, I'm going with the German seller. I've had LPs shipped registered from Germany for around 8 bucks. It wasn't that cheap in the 90s. Not sure what's going on there, but I like it.

Suspended
    I'm not trying to make excuses for my own country, but remember we are a long way from anywhere except New Zealand and SE Asia, so that may go some way towards explaining the high costs of buying stuff from Oz - especially LPs, which are both larger and more fragile than CD's, hence harder to pack.

I am having trouble online finding physical form copies of Steve Kilbey's (The Church) solo albums. His official website has gone all digital. Can anyone recommend where that I can still buy them on CD?

Library Jon

Last edited by proggosaurus; 01-08-2016 at 11:53 PM.
    i.ain't.dead.irock

We charge a lot for postage because we can. We are so tough that this is the sort of stuff we watch on prime-time TV while we eat our tea:

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Oreb View Post
    We are so tough that this is the sort of stuff we watch on prime-time TV while we eat our tea:
    We?

Include me out.

“Pleasure and pain can be experienced simultaneously,” she said, gently massaging my back as we listened to her Coldplay CD.

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    Include me out.
    Yeah yeah.

Everyone here knows you're the bloke in the footy jersey in the third clip.

Thanks for the advice. However, the CDs available on Red Eye are ones which I already own. I really hate it when bands start going all digital download instead of pressing CDs.

Library Jon

Although not Australian, I like to buy from http://www.amplifier.co.nz/ from New Zealand.