Page 91 of 131 FirstFirst ... 4181878889909192939495101 ... LastLast
Results 2,251 to 2,275 of 3255

Thread: The New Prog Beer Snob Thread

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Some good Eastern Sierra+/- brews (warning-I'm partial to IPAs):

Lassen Ale Works: Volcanic Double IPA-by far the best beer on offer from Lassen Ale Works in Susanville, CA.

The Brewing Lair: Ambush IPA-killer IPA from the small brewery in Blairsden, CA.

Great Basin Brewing Company: Ichthyosaur IPA ("Icky") and Cerveza Chilebeso-the former a tasty IPA named after Nevada's state fossil and the latter a jalapeno-flavored Kölsch ale from Sparks, NV.

Virginia City Brewery and Taphouse: Marlette Red Ale and Steampunk Extra Pale Ale-good offerings from the Comstock (Virginia City, NV).

Shoe Tree Brewing Company: Shoe Horn Double IPA-flagship ale of the small brewery in Carson City, NV.

Mammoth Brewing Company: Epic IPA and 395 IPA-the former a very good IPA, the latter flavored with sagebrush and juniper for its namesake Eastern Sierra Highway, US 395 (Mammoth Lakes, CA).

June Lake Brewing's photo
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

I don't object to the beers from these guys too much though they'll probably change the formula and manufacturing location to suit big corporate & change them enough so they aren't the same beer. It's the principal more than anything. These guys would love to buy up craft breweries and shut them all down so we're back to their mass produced swill. I hate on big beer.
    I agree. It's a bad trend having the giants usurp the good guys. Imagine the hike in suicide rate when we are back to Bud, Miller and Coors. Only bright side I see is that hops will be free to grow in fields everywhere. That sweet swill doesn't use them.
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

The bigger problem with AB/Inbev's approach is that they very much take on the 'buy craft breweries while shitting on craft beer' approach to the industry. Just look at their advertising, particularly those campaigns that target and, in most cases, openly mock craft beer and craft beer drinkers. Add that on to the greater control over breweries like GI, the lawsuits they consistently threaten craft breweries with, and general shady business practices, and you basically have the core of the reasons why I'll never touch another AB/Inbev product, at least not until things change dramatically. Other conglomerates such as Constellation, San Miguel, Duvel Moortgat, Sapporo, Heineken, hell even MillerCoors/MolsonCoors, don't engage in that BS, at least not to the flagrantly abusive level that AB/Inbev does. Not a huge fan of supporting some of those companies (Duvel being the real exception here) but at least they aren't AB/Inbev.

A couple decades ago there was this little brewery in Wisconsin called Leinenkugel that brewed mild but not unworthy German-style lagers. Then it was bought by Miller (pre-merger with Coors etc). The family loudly proclaimed that nothing would change, especially the quality of the beer. Well, that was a steaming load of bullshit. I avoid crafts owned by the big boys. They're not brewers, they're soulless corporations who sooner or later will cut costs/cheapen the ingredients. I salute the large crafts like Sierra Nevada and Bells that are defiantly independent.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I hadn't even heard that Coors merged with Miller. Doesn't make much difference to me, as neither product is drinkable. They deserve each other.

Today I had a Drake's IPA on tap. As far as I know, the San Leandro, CA brewer has never been owned by any big corporation. Everything I have tried from them has been great.

https://drinkdrakes.com/

The bigger problem with AB/Inbev's approach is that they very much take on the 'buy craft breweries while shitting on craft beer' approach to the industry.
    That is unforgivable.

There is a phone app called Craft Check which will tell you if you're drinking an independent or not.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I'll remember that if I can ever afford a cell phone.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    I don't object to the beers from these guys too much though they'll probably change the formula and manufacturing location to suit big corporate & change them enough so they aren't the same beer. It's the principal more than anything. These guys would love to buy up craft breweries and shut them all down so we're back to their mass produced swill. I hate on big beer.
    This even happens with the independents. I don't think Hopslam from Bell's has been the same (or as good) since they moved production to their current huge quarter mile long facility outside of town where they now brew it in huge batches.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    We get the same thing at Tree House, people claiming that "it was always better at Monson" though I think there's a fair amount of troll snobbery involved as many claim that beers are drain pours when clearly very good. Fair amount of cynical reaction to their posts.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

^ When was that, Steve? I noticed a dropoff in Hopslam around 4 years or so ago. I didn't know if it was me or the beer.

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    So many beers have sold out to the big corporations that I can't keep track anymore. I heard not too long ago that Lagunitas is part of a big brewcorp now. I've already forgotten which one. I go by the taste of the beer. I appreciate those brewers who remain independent, though, and when I find a good one, they get my repeat business.
    Wicked Weed was a go-to brewery for me for years. Their aged sours were some of the best I'd ever had, rivaling Jester King. They sold to inBev a few years ago, and I (and many local bars and bottle shops around here) dropped them. Haven't looked back.

There are so many local and regional independent brewers operating nowadays that I rarely reach for something outside of the Carolinas. Every conceivable style is covered by any one of the literally dozens of breweries operating in Charlotte alone.

I do appreciate and enjoy breweries with national distribution, but I'd always encourage someone to check out what's brewing locally before searching out something from Bell's or New Belgium or Uinta.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

^ I'm the same way. The majority of what I drink now are Ohio beers.

Having a Bell's Porter. It's on sale at the local grocery for $7.99 a six. A good beer at a good price.

Vast majority of what I drink is small local MA brewers.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    ^ When was that, Steve? I noticed a dropoff in Hopslam around 4 years or so ago. I didn't know if it was me or the beer.
    Bell's built their huge state of the art quarter mile long production facility about 10 years ago or so, but I am not sure when they moved Hopslam production there. They were still brewing a lot of their smaller batch beers at the original downtown facility for a while, and Hopslam was one of them, but I am not sure what year they actually moved it. Personally I don't think Hopslam is quite as good as it once was (it used to be my all time favorite beer from anyone). It is still a very good beer, but it seems to not be quite a the same level, and the quality seems to vary a bit from year to year.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Vast majority of what I drink is small local MA brewers.
    Same here, though I will sneak in one or two from New Hampshire, Maine, or Rhode Island from time to time.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

What time are the "snobs" gonna meet up at Prog Day? Saturday after the first band finishes?

I'm game for any time between bands.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    Elysian caught the brewing world by surprise:
    https://www.consumerreports.org/cons...ch-since-2011/
    I love the Elysian Split Shot Coffee/Milk Stout
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by wiz_d_kidd View Post
    What time are the "snobs" gonna meet up at Prog Day? Saturday after the first band finishes?
    Well, that will be the 1st session..!!

In the Ship Inn, Porthleven...
    _20190826_163406.jpg
    ...drinking Porthleven, from the Skinners Brewery:
    _20190826_163324.jpg
    Nothing quite like drinking a truly great beer, in the place for which it is brewed.

Cornish Suds? Sounds good to me!
    "And this is the chorus.....or perhaps it's a bridge...."

Fellow beer snobs for the tasting session..I will be bringing around 50 clear plastic cups but if anyone has some lying around, couldn't hurt to have more then enough..Bringing NoDa Captain Peanut Butters Porter-Charlotte NC..Lenny Boy Laughing Yogi -Charlotte NC(Belgian Wheat brewed with organic jasmine green tea) and some Wicked Weed Appalachia Session IPA's-Asheville NC..

wicked weed.jpg

lenny boy.jpg

NoDa-Captain-Peanut-Butters-Chocolate-Revenge.jpg
    Last edited by beano; 08-28-2019 at 09:29 PM.

Have fun guys, I have a Crowler of Barrel House Z 3rd Anniversary Belgian Tripel aged in rum barrels, 9.6%, to sip over the weekend. Cheers!
    Ian