Thread: The New Prog Beer Snob Thread

I never heard of that Utopia beer until they mentioned it on the TV news this morning. I'm sure it's legal in my state, where all liquor stores sell Everclear. But, at $200 a bottle, I'll never try it. I doubt most stores would stock it due to limited sales. If I had that much money to spend on an alcoholic beverage, I'd buy a very good Scotch whisky, instead. Fortified wine is crap; it's likely fortified beer is too.

Not necessarily so. Lots of beers are not filtered and looks hazy.
    1. Filtered beer is what most people drink. ... At this stage the beer is clarified but also flat as you also lost natural carbonation. Then the beer is artificially carbonated (like soda pop) Unfiltered beer is cloudy because it is bottled while there is still some active yeast naturally carbonating the beer.
    2. Most production breweries filter their beers through a variety of methods. When they make an unfiltered beer, they just skip those steps. The result is often a grainier beer, something with more actual body, as their are leftover grain hulls, hop flecks, and groupings of yeast floating about.
    You don't have to convince me; I'm not the brewer that said it. I've had unfiltered beers before. Some excellent, some not. But, thanks for the information. I'm interested in the brewing process. Although I lack the space to set up a home brewing operation, I would like to try brewing someday (I've had some very good home brews.)

There may be a difference between beers they trendily refer to as "hazy" and those cloudy with particulates they call "unfiltered." Or there may not. I don't know.
    Can this be the swan song? The final elbow?

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    I never heard of that Utopia beer until they mentioned it on the TV news this morning. I'm sure it's legal in my state, where all liquor stores sell Everclear. But, at $200 a bottle, I'll never try it. I doubt most stores would stock it due to limited sales. If I had that much money to spend on an alcoholic beverage, I'd buy a very good Scotch whisky, instead. Fortified wine is crap; it's likely fortified beer is too.

You don't have to convince me; I'm not the brewer that said it. I've had unfiltered beers before. Some excellent, some not. But, thanks for the information. I'm interested in the brewing process. Although I lack the space to set up a home brewing operation, I would like to try brewing someday (I've had some very good home brews.)

There may be a difference between beers they trendily refer to as "hazy" and those cloudy with particulates they call "unfiltered." Or there may not. I don't know.
    I have had beers made with grapefruitjuice, they are indeed hazy.

Some years ago I had a good friend (he has passed away), and we made lots of beer together.
    Its not more difficult than finer 'cuisine', follow a recipe and the method carefully and observant, wait for 5 weeks - and voila! Takes half a day to make the stew, and later half a day to bottle it. And its lots of fun.

I have had beers made with grapefruitjuice, they are indeed hazy.
    I've heard those called 'grapefruit Radlers.' I've had a few. One of the few flavored beers I'll tolerate.

Some years ago I had a good friend (he has passed away), and we made lots of beer together.
    Its not more difficult than finer 'cuisine', follow a recipe and the method carefully and observant, wait for 5 weeks - and voila! Takes half a day to make the stew, and later half a day to bottle it. And its lots of fun.
    It sounds like fun. I could do that. The waiting is the hardest part. I look forward to trying it one day. My lasting memory of a home brew was when a college friend brought me one of his as a send off at the airport. I had to guzzle it outdoors with airport security hounding me. I was of legal age, but I don't think they like people having anything they don't sell, outside the designated bars, or they don't like people enjoying themselves within the dismal confines of the airport, or they don't like people. I finished it before it could be confiscated, so it's all good.

Grapefruit- or just fruit-induced IPA's are quite common here.

The first homebrew I made ca. 1975 when I was 17, was a pilsner kit, and it was not good !
    I did a lot of that sort at the time.
    Like: I made 25 liters of raisins (dried grapes) wine (bread-bakery-yeast), bagged it in 2-liters plasticbags and left it in my freezer (at minus 16) for 24 hours. A you know alcohol freezes at about minus 20, so I pulled the bags out, made lots of holes, the alcohol ran out in a bucket, and the ice stayed in the bags. More or less... and it wasnt very tasty, so I kept it for a couple of years, and it didn't mature well either, so I home-distilled it, filtered it through a coal-filter, added sugar and berries. Then it started getting ok.
    Lots of fun time spent doing something illegal, but luckily I don't have an alcholic gene, and I only drink when it tastes good.
    At the university I studied biology, so pure alcohol was easy to get, and collecting herbs and berries was the next step.
    Later on I made wine from garden apples (strong cider),and redwine-kits and it was acceptable.

Now I'm just lazy, and buy the stuff I like, but homebrewing beers is fun, and you can make your preferred tastes with a little experience and thoroughness.

Had a 2019 Sierra Nevada Celebration ale. An excellent IPA for their year-end seasonal brew, even if I'm not ready for that season before Halloween and Thanksgiving. The damn stores had Christmas stuff out in September this year. I can only assume they do this to make us drink more ale.

Celebration Ale is an auto-buy for me. I used to love Anchor's holiday ale but it changed and not for the better.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Been in Frankfurt for the week on business

Ian

I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Celebration Ale is an auto-buy for me. I used to love Anchor's holiday ale but it changed and not for the better.
    Another fan here. Always a solid brew every year.

I used to love Anchor's holiday ale but it changed and not for the better.
    I used to go out of my way to make sure I tried Anchor's Holiday Ale each year. Many years ago, I stopped. I don't mind tasting one if it comes my way, but I sure won't fork out for a six pack when I can't know if they will meet the quality of the previous decade. It doesn't seem to be improving, at least to someone with my taste in beer. Sierra Nevada, on the other hand, works to make a top-notch Celebration Ale every year, so far without adding holiday spices to bugger it up.

Now enjoying: a 2019 Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale. Tomorrow I will try to learn when and where it will appear on tap in my town. Off the top of my head, I can't think of any beer I would trade this one for.

How can I make my photos bigger?

Quote Originally Posted by Kevfeeley View Post
    How can I make my photos bigger?
    Your picture size is fine. What you see is a thumbnail. Click on it. Or hover your cursor over it to see how many have viewed/opened it.
    "If you want to see the true nature of humanity, just look at the internet."

http://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Been in Frankfurt for the week on business
    Please move the glasses out of the way.
    Lou

Awarded the Krusty Brand Seal of Approval. It's not just good, it's good enough.

Recent draft beers I have had:

Sierra Nevada Oktoberfest
    Odell's Oktoberfest
    Sam Adams Oktoberfest
    Founders Porter
    Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale
    Shoe Tree Nevada Day Lager

And the odd bottled concoction:

Samuel Smith's Organic Cider

Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale
    My favorite and it still hasn't reached the far corner of this misbegotten state!
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

My favorite and it still hasn't reached the far corner of this misbegotten state!
    As Country Joe once said: "Hold on, it's coming; hold on, it's very near."

Had a Stone Xocoveza (Escondido, CA) chocolate, chili pepper and coffee flavored imperial stout; and a Almanac Waves IPA (Alameda, CA).

If you find Columbus Brewing Go Kart Ghost Super Pale Ale at your local retailer, I highly recommend it. Might be the best Pale Ale I've ever had. It's apparently a seasonal, and may be hard to find now.

Had a Vleteren Bruin yesterday (Not Westvleteren).

12% and stout notes.
    Not really my thing. Not spiced enough and not hopped enough.

https://www.ratebeer.com/beer/vleter...l-aged/234481/

The New Prog Beer Snob Thread

Nice tap setup in Brevard NC:

Last edited by Firth; 3 Days Ago at 09:48 PM.
    [They] agreed that it was neither possible nor necessary to educate people who never questioned anything.

Beautiful facility in Asheville NC:

[They] agreed that it was neither possible nor necessary to educate people who never questioned anything.

Nice!
    Ian

There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Visited Widowmaker brewer in Braintree MA this weekend, pretty good set up and nice beer.

Ian

Opened up a Les Trois Mousquetaires Porter Baltique 10.5% 2018 aged in bourbon and brandy barrels. From Quebec. Dark, chewy, loads of flavors, well balanced, boozy, superb. A personal favorite,

Ian

Two from Shoe Tree Brewing Co. (Carson City, NV):

High Desert Brown-good American Brown Ale

Oi!PA-excellent very bitter India Pale Ale, my new favorite beer.