Page 111 of 131 FirstFirst ... 1161101107108109110111112113114115121 ... LastLast
Results 2,751 to 2,775 of 3255

Thread: The New Prog Beer Snob Thread

^ Where's the "jealous" emoji again?

Yeah - my goodness, does that look tasty!
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    At home I have:

Founders Porter (tasty, sweet, good for dessert)
    Indian Wells Brown Ale (wife requested brown ale, and that's a good one from Inyokern in the California desert)

Last time I was at a brewpub, I tasted 2 new pilsners, and opted for a pint of the hoppier one. The other was quite good and I'll have a pint next visit. The other brew I tasted, then had a pint of, was called SMASH IPA, for 'Single Malt And Single Hop.' Fantastic. Not as heavy as some IPAs, but very good. Will go back for more when I can.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Attachment 15486
    Attachment 15487

In a proper English pub in Durham, the Shakespeare, having a Timmy Taylor's Landlord
    Holy shit have fun! Are you seeing Newcastle play or will it still be the international break?

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    No game was in plans as I was on the canals with the boys.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I got to have a pint of Bell's Oktoberfest. Good stuff. The other Oktoberfests they had were ones I'd tried before, so I had a Left Hand Oktoberfest, because who knows if I'll get another before the season is over?

Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Nice mate - where are you guys headed exactly? Is this exclusively a canal trip?
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    I got to have a pint of Bell's Oktoberfest. Good stuff. The other Oktoberfests they had were ones I'd tried before, so I had a Left Hand Oktoberfest, because who knows if I'll get another before the season is over?
    I was drinking Bell's Oktoberfest last night. Usually it is on tap everywhere this time of year in town, but Bell's is really pushing their Rind Over Matter new beer and I think it has pushed Oktoberfest out of the taps. The place we were at last night was the first I have seen to have it on tap this season.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Nice mate - where are you guys headed exactly? Is this exclusively a canal trip?
    It was primarily a boys canal trip starting at Bradford upon Avon and going to Bath on the Kennet and Avon canal. I'm seeing my dad while I'm over here but otherwise that's it. It's the same bunch of guys I've been drinking with for 40 years with annual drinking trips only interrupted by the pandemic.
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I was drinking Bell's Oktoberfest last night. Usually it is on tap everywhere this time of year in town, but Bell's is really pushing their Rind Over Matter new beer and I think it has pushed Oktoberfest out of the taps. The place we were at last night was the first I have seen to have it on tap this season.
    Bell's is less common in this part of the west. You can sometimes find one or two of their many beer varieties in larger liquor stores, and sometimes one on tap at a brewpub. I had never heard of Rind Over Matter, and didn't see it listed on Bell's website with their other beers. Luckily, there was a search function, that turned up that it is a new wheat beer. I was curious what the rind was. Pumpkin? Watermelon? But it was just citrus. Guess I should have expected that for a wheat beer. Maybe it's a regional thing. Watermelons and pigs have rinds. Oranges and lemons have peels.

The important thing is, once you know Bell's exists and is good, you can seek it out, like a beer hunter should.

Bell's is less common in this part of the west. You can sometimes find one or two of their many beer varieties in larger liquor stores, and sometimes one on tap at a brewpub. I had never heard of Rind Over Matter, and didn't see it listed on Bell's website with their other beers. Luckily, there was a search function, that turned up that it is a new wheat beer. I was curious what the rind was. Pumpkin? Watermelon? But it was just citrus. Guess I should have expected that for a wheat beer. Maybe it's a regional thing. Watermelons and pigs have rinds. Oranges and lemons have peels.

The important thing is, once you know Bell's exists and is good, you can seek it out, like a beer hunter should.
    You probably already know this, but I live about 10 minutes from Bell's brewery so it is everywhere here in Kalamazoo. Rind Over Matter is on tap in just about every bar and restaurant this fall. Personally I am not a fan. The beer is not really a shandy, but close enough that I don't care for it.

You probably already know this, but I live about 10 minutes from Bell's brewery so it is everywhere here in Kalamazoo. Rind Over Matter is on tap in just about every bar and restaurant this fall. Personally I am not a fan. The beer is not really a shandy, but close enough that I don't care for it.
    Yeah. I saw that you live there. I've never been to Michigan, myself. But I imagine it's the same all over. Local brewpubs and restaurants feature local beers. That's fine, if your local beer is good.

I'm only rarely in the mood for a wheat beer or ale. Usually in summer, when they can be refreshing, and a change from the usual west coast IPAs I favor. I'm never in the mood for a shandy, and rarely care for flavored beers and ales, but I'll occasionally taste one if it sounds interesting. I don't mind beer varieties existing. To each his own. I would like, but doubt I will ever see, brewpub menus that separate the flavored beers from the regular ones, to keep menu-reading time from interfering with beer-drinking time.

It was primarily a boys canal trip starting at Bradford upon Avon and going to Bath on the Kennet and Avon canal. I'm seeing my dad while I'm over here but otherwise that's it. It's the same bunch of guys I've been drinking with for 40 years with annual drinking trips only interrupted by the pandemic.
    That's great. I love Bath and we loved Castle Combe which is north. Amazing area. Have fun.

Rind Over Matter is on tap in just about every bar and restaurant this fall. Personally I am not a fan. The beer is not really a shandy, but close enough that I don't care for it.
    Good to know, as it saves me the trouble of trying it if it makes it's way over here. This, in a nutshell, is my problem with the whole "hazy" thing: way, way too many of the ones I've tried just taste like someone dumped an ounce of juice into an otherwise perfectly decent IPA (Toppling Goliath here in IA is a repeat offender in this arena). Over the years I haven't found many Bells beers I don't like, though. Give me crisp, clear Two-Hearted (or Double TH when I can get it - yum) every time.
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

How does Prog sparkling water sound?
    'I would advise stilts for the quagmires"

Quote Originally Posted by proggy_jazzer View Post
    Good to know, as it saves me the trouble of trying it if it makes it's way over here. This, in a nutshell, is my problem with the whole "hazy" thing: way, way too many of the ones I've tried just taste like someone dumped an ounce of juice into an otherwise perfectly decent IPA (Toppling Goliath here in IA is a repeat offender in this arena). Over the years I haven't found many Bells beers I don't like, though. Give me crisp, clear Two-Hearted (or Double TH when I can get it - yum) every time.
    That's how "hazy" ales taste to me, too. I've had a very few decent ones, at the brewery where they were made, but usually if I'm out I just skip the hazies for something I'm more likely to enjoy. Or, as Chris Youlden said, "Taste and try before you buy." All the Bell's beers I've tried were good, Two-Hearted is great, but after looking on their website I can see I haven't tasted most of their beers.

Last time I visited the local liquor locker, they were sold out of every brand of Oktoberfest. Next thing you know, they'll be pushing Christmas/holiday/New Years ales. Could be worse, though. My nightmare is waking up to find everything on Earth is pumpkin-spice flavor.

Quote Originally Posted by Piskie View Post
    How does Prog sparkling water sound?
    Same as regular water, but with a different time signature.

Quote Originally Posted by proggy_jazzer View Post
    I wouldn't call Rind Over Matter a hazy beer. It is a wheat with a lemony flavor to it. There are very few Bell's beers I don't like (and I have had most of them), but Rind does not do it for me.

That's how "hazy" ales taste to me, too. I've had a very few decent ones, at the brewery where they were made, but usually if I'm out I just skip the hazies for something I'm more likely to enjoy. Or, as Chris Youlden said, "Taste and try before you buy." All the Bell's beers I've tried were good, Two-Hearted is great, but after looking on their website I can see I haven't tasted most of their beers.

Last time I visited the local liquor locker, they were sold out of every brand of Oktoberfest. Next thing you know, they'll be pushing Christmas/holiday/New Years ales. Could be worse, though. My nightmare is waking up to find everything on Earth is pumpkin-spice flavor.
    Bell's main hazy NEIPA is called "Official" which is another one very popular around here. I find it to be just ok, kind of middle of the road. Bell's does make a very good fresh hopped NEIPA called "Sideyard" which only comes out in October. In fact they are going to release this year's batch soon. Unfortunately it is only available in Michigan, Ohio and Indiana and usually comes and goes fairly quickly.

Funny you mention Christmas Ales as I just got a message from Bell's that their Christmas Ale is being bottled now and coming out soon. It is another of the few Bell's beers that I don't particularly care for, but some people love it.

My favorite Christmas ale is usually Sierra Nevada Celebration, because it's a special IPA without added spices or flavors. But certainly, other good ones exist. As with Oktoberfest beers, I like to try several Christmas ales in season, hoping to be pleasantly surprised.

My favorite Christmas ale is usually Sierra Nevada Celebration, because it's a special IPA without added spices or flavors. But certainly, other good ones exist.
    It's not only one of the best Christmas offerings but it's also one of the best IPAs on the market
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

My favorite Christmas ale is usually Sierra Nevada Celebration, because it's a special IPA without added spices or flavors. But certainly, other good ones exist. As with Oktoberfest beers, I like to try several Christmas ales in season, hoping to be pleasantly surprised.
    Agree, the Sierra Nevada Celebration is good stuff!

When in California

FB_IMG_1635122291201.jpg
    Ian

^ I've had plenty of Rhinegeist beers, (some this weekend,) but never either of the two Plinys.