Thread: The New Prog Beer Snob Thread

  1. #2776
    All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Eastern Sierra
    Posts
    2,180
    Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    When in California

    Attachment 15533
    Does that bottle say, "Russian River Brewing Company?" Haven't had any of their beers. I'll see if I can find one. Watched some news yesterday about the inevitable flooding on the Russian River due to the current storm drenching Northern California and Northern Nevada. They rescued some campers caught in the floodwaters. Really? Do people hear about a storm coming in, and say, "Let's go camp by a river that always floods?" Of course, I'm glad they got them out safely.

  2. #2777
    I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    7,834
    Yes, Russian River, Pliny the Elder is tough to get in the East and outstanding Younger is tough everywhere. Both ranked extremely highly.
    Ian

    Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

  3. #2778
    All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Eastern Sierra
    Posts
    2,180
    I did a search on the nearest Total Wine and More store website, and they have no Russian River Brewing Co beers. May take a while before I can try one. I could put in a request at a brewpub. Thanks for bringing it to my attention, anyway.

  4. #2779
    Member moecurlythanu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    The Planet Lovetron
    Posts
    9,398
    Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Yes, Russian River, Pliny the Elder is tough to get in the East and outstanding Younger is tough everywhere. Both ranked extremely highly.
    And have been for many years now.
    15 Cuban minutes
    Can get lost in the fog
    Life's a test, just do your best
    Like a three-legged dog

    http://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

  5. #2780
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Kalamazoo Michigan
    Posts
    5,923
    Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    I did a search on the nearest Total Wine and More store website, and they have no Russian River Brewing Co beers. May take a while before I can try one. I could put in a request at a brewpub. Thanks for bringing it to my attention, anyway.
    Russian River is currently only available in California, Colorado, Oregon and apparently certain cities in Pennsylvania. I know it is not available anywhere here in Michigan. The only time I have ever had it was when Bell's Brewery did their 30th anniversary beer festival here in Kalamazoo. Larry Bell was able to pull in breweries from all over the country and Russian River was there. They had Pliny and one other that I can't remember. The line at their tent was the longest at the festival and they sold out of Pliny within an hour of the festival opening. I was lucky enough to get some and it was amazing stuff. The other beer that they had was also very good, but I can't remember what it was.

  6. #2781
    I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    7,834
    First time I had it was in a bar in the center of Philadelphia
    Ian

    Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

  7. #2782
    All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Eastern Sierra
    Posts
    2,180
    I watched a few youtube vids about Russian River Brewing Co. Looks like the way for me to have some of their fine beer is to head to Windsor or Santa Rosa, California, the two locations of their breweries. I have seldom visited Sonoma County. Come spring, when the Sierra passes reopen, and a windfall, when I can afford to travel, and another windfall, so I can afford to stay in expensive wine country, maybe that can happen. Hope springs eernal.

  8. #2783
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Philly burbs
    Posts
    29
    Found a store with Troegs' Mad Elf in stock, this disappears pretty quickly every year.


  9. #2784
    Member Jerjo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    small town in ND
    Posts
    5,195
    Next week we will be going out of town and I'll make a beer run. I suspect I'll see some holiday ales but it's likely the only noteworthy one will be Sierra Nevada's Celebration Ale. I'll be buying a case of that for sure.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

  10. #2785
    I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    7,834
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggie87 View Post
    Found a store with Troegs' Mad Elf in stock, this disappears pretty quickly every year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Next week we will be going out of town and I'll make a beer run. I suspect I'll see some holiday ales but it's likely the only noteworthy one will be Sierra Nevada's Celebration Ale. I'll be buying a case of that for sure.
    Both excellent, will always grab them if I see them.
    Ian

    Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

  11. #2786
    Member Firth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Severn, MD
    Posts
    5,673
    Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    I watched a few youtube vids about Russian River Brewing Co. Looks like the way for me to have some of their fine beer is to head to Windsor or Santa Rosa, California, the two locations of their breweries. I have seldom visited Sonoma County. Come spring, when the Sierra passes reopen, and a windfall, when I can afford to travel, and another windfall, so I can afford to stay in expensive wine country, maybe that can happen. Hope springs eernal.
    I know Lagunitas is sort of passť now but the brewery in Petaluma (Sonoma County) may be worth a visit. Back in 2015, I lucked out and stayed in a Time share in Napa, and drove there. Beautiful outside courtyard and we sipped on Equinox which was excellent. Listened to a big hollow body roots rocker. Fun time. Before going to the brewery we stopped at the Sonoma Cheese factory and tasted a bunch of aged dry Jack cheeses and the habanero was awesome. The aging process mellows the heat but leaves the herbal flavor of the pepper. Not an extremely expensive experience.
    On the verge of indecision
    I'll always take the roundabout way

  12. #2787
    I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    7,834
    Lagunitas is one of my go to beers if a place doesn't have a great craft ale selection. Pretty reliable. Though I have no idea how you pronounce it.
    Ian

    Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

  13. #2788
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Kalamazoo Michigan
    Posts
    5,923
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Next week we will be going out of town and I'll make a beer run. I suspect I'll see some holiday ales but it's likely the only noteworthy one will be Sierra Nevada's Celebration Ale. I'll be buying a case of that for sure.
    Bell's Christmas Ale is out. I am not a huge fan of it, but that is more because Scotch Ale is not my favorite style than the beer itself.

  14. #2789
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Kalamazoo Michigan
    Posts
    5,923
    Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    I know Lagunitas is sort of passť now but the brewery in Petaluma (Sonoma County) may be worth a visit. Back in 2015, I lucked out and stayed in a Time share in Napa, and drove there. Beautiful outside courtyard and we sipped on Equinox which was excellent. Listened to a big hollow body roots rocker. Fun time. Before going to the brewery we stopped at the Sonoma Cheese factory and tasted a bunch of aged dry Jack cheeses and the habanero was awesome. The aging process mellows the heat but leaves the herbal flavor of the pepper. Not an extremely expensive experience.
    Nothing wrong with Lagunitas. I think their distribution has just gotten so large that they don't get as much credit as they used to, but they still make good to great beer.

  15. #2790
    Member moecurlythanu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    The Planet Lovetron
    Posts
    9,398
    Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Lagunitas is one of my go to beers if a place doesn't have a great craft ale selection. Pretty reliable. Though I have no idea how you pronounce it.
    I'll go with Lahg-oo-neat-iss. Emphasis on the neat.
    Last edited by moecurlythanu; 11 Hours Ago at 02:39 PM. Reason: upon reflection

  16. #2791
    Member Lopez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Medford, Massachusetts
    Posts
    4,045
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggie87 View Post
    Found a store with Troegs' Mad Elf in stock, this disappears pretty quickly every year.

    I haven't yet had a Troegs' product that I didn't like. I'll be looking for this.
    Lou

    Awarded the Krusty Brand Seal of Approval. It's not just good, it's good enough.

  17. #2792
    All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Eastern Sierra
    Posts
    2,180
    Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Lagunitas is one of my go to beers if a place doesn't have a great craft ale selection. Pretty reliable. Though I have no idea how you pronounce it.
    Just finished off the last straggler from a sixer of Lagunitas Maximus Colossal IPA yesterday. The Lagunitas pronunciation is on the label. The beer is very good.

    Quote Originally Posted by Firth
    I know Lagunitas is sort of passť now but the brewery in Petaluma (Sonoma County) may be worth a visit.
    Ever since I became passť, I've noticed no one tells me when anything else is passť. Oh, well. Some places give me a senior discount because I carry my ID atop my head (white hair). That's good enough. I hope to visit a number of breweries when I can, Lagunitas among them. I still haven't made it to Sierra Nevada Brewery in Chico, which is closer to me than Petaluma is.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo
    I suspect I'll see some holiday ales but it's likely the only noteworthy one will be Sierra Nevada's Celebration Ale. I'll be buying a case of that for sure.
    Is that out now? Last time I was at the liquor locker there was none of it. That's a seasonal auto-buy. Sierra Nevada Oktoberfest is what I have in the fridge now. That will probably disappear from the stores soon.

  18. #2793
    Member moecurlythanu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    The Planet Lovetron
    Posts
    9,398
    A website culled information from Beer Advocate's ratings, and came up with the highest rated beer for each state, based on it's rating on BA.

    https://vinepair.com/articles/best-h...r-every-state/

    A lot of high ABV beers in the mix.

    Edit: I've only had 4 - Dinner, CBS, Heady Topper and 2x4. I've had a variant of Big Bad Baptista also.
    Last edited by moecurlythanu; 7 Hours Ago at 06:34 PM.
    15 Cuban minutes
    Can get lost in the fog
    Life's a test, just do your best
    Like a three-legged dog

    http://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

  19. #2794
    Member moecurlythanu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    The Planet Lovetron
    Posts
    9,398
    Aaand...here's an article on the same site with recs for 12 Triple IPAs, a subject near and dear to my heart. I've only had the Dogfish Head from these recs. Not terribly impressed with it, I've had plenty of 3IPAs that mop the floor with 120 Minute, imo.
    15 Cuban minutes
    Can get lost in the fog
    Life's a test, just do your best
    Like a three-legged dog

    http://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

  20. #2795
    I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    7,834
    I've had

    Dogfish Head - Bourbon Barrel-Aged World Wide Stout
    Goose Island - Bourbon County Brand Stout
    Maine - Dinner
    Tree House - King Julius
    Founders - Canadian Breakfast Stout
    Other Half - DDH Double Mosaic Dream
    Alchemist - Heady Topper

    I like all of those a lot.
    Ian

    Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

  21. #2796
    I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    7,834
    Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Aaand...here's an article on the same site with recs for 12 Triple IPAs, a subject near and dear to my heart. I've only had the Dogfish Head from these recs. Not terribly impressed with it, I've had plenty of 3IPAs that mop the floor with 120 Minute, imo.
    I much prefer the 90 Minute over the 120 Minute, the 120 has a burnt alcohol after taste for me.
    Ian

    Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

  22. #2797
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Kalamazoo Michigan
    Posts
    5,923
    Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    A website culled information from Beer Advocate's ratings, and came up with the highest rated beer for each state, based on it's rating on BA.

    https://vinepair.com/articles/best-h...r-every-state/

    A lot of high ABV beers in the mix.

    Edit: I've only had 4 - Dinner, CBS, Heady Topper and 2x4. I've had a variant of Big Bad Baptista also.
    The only one I have had is Founders CBS here in Michigan. A great beer for sure, but I personally think Bell's Black Note is better.

  23. #2798
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Kalamazoo Michigan
    Posts
    5,923
    Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    I much prefer the 90 Minute over the 120 Minute, the 120 has a burnt alcohol after taste for me.
    Totally agree, I bought a 4 pack of 120 minute when I happened to find it in my local beer store. I drank one of them and ended up giving the other 3 to a friend. I agree with the burnt alcohol taste. The 90 minute is better for sure for my pallet.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •