Page 106 of 131 FirstFirst ... 65696102103104105106107108109110116 ... LastLast
Results 2,626 to 2,650 of 3255

Thread: The New Prog Beer Snob Thread

Banned
    Sierra Nevada beers are close to the least expensive crafts out there in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    A comment on beer advocate that says it all:

This beer is indeed a Big Little Thing. It's insanely light, balanced, and drinkable for a 9% Imperial IPA.

I'll keep an eye open for that one!
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

What exactly is an imperial ipa? Just high octane ipa like a DIPA or TIPA?

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    What exactly is an imperial ipa? Just high octane ipa like a DIPA or TIPA?
    Generally 8% and above from what I've observed, generally Imperial and Double are used interchangeably. It's more common in Stouts above 10% where it can be Russian & Imperial.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Generally 8% and above from what I've observed, generally Imperial and Double are used interchangeably. It's more common in Stouts above 10% where it can be Russian & Imperial.
    The Brewers Association defines an American India Pale Ale as having an ABV of 6.3%-7.5%, while an Imperial or Double IPA should fall somewhere in the 7.6%-10.6% range.
    If reason stands, a Triple IPA, then, should be any IPA with an ABV roughly over 10.5%, right?
    If only it were that simple.
    Sierra Nevada recently released Hoptimum, an “all-new triple IPA” that comes in at a head-scratching 9.6% ABV, securely within DIPA range. Similarly, for their fourth anniversary, Boston’s Trillium Brewing Co. released The Streets, a celebrated TIPA tipping the ABV scales at…10%. One true example of the style can be found in Founders Brewing Company’s 12% whopper, Devil Dancer.
    This all goes to say, like lots of things in beer, this all really just comes down to marketing. When it comes to hoppy beers, best to go by the ABV rather than the “style.”

I agree with you Firth, I look for Triples to be above 10.5% but generally I read the ABV and ignore the marketing.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    No thanks. When do they start making beer that tastes like beer again?
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Yeah, no.
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

Last night, among many others, I had a Royal Docks Deathly Mallows Toasted Marshmallow Milk Stout. Definitely not "beer that tastes like beer," but fantastic all the same.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    No thanks. When do they start making beer that tastes like beer again?
    I agree. I'm not even going to taste that chocolate mess. I posted about it because I am appalled by it. I'm not surprised, though. Corporate types are always testing the lower limit of taste. The most famous coffee purveyor in the country seems to be in the milk business.

Banned
    Just a couple is all you need to sync up to the Easter egg hunt with the kids

Visited South Lake Brewing Company in South Lake Tahoe, California, on a beautiful spring day. We are vaccinated and had no trouble keeping our distance from others. It wasn't crowded. Outdoor seating was provided. Masks were worn by all. Wife tried one of their IPAs and I tried two different ones. All were very good. Hadn't been out for a beer in over a year.

South Lake Brewing Company

Banned
    The name of this beer is appropriate. From Charlottesville, VA, it’s a great example of a fresh hoppy complex beer similar to a Georgetown WA brew called Chop.

I had a hazy IPA called Ectogasm in a pint can from the Drekker Brewing Company in Fargo ND. I've had a few of their beers before so my expectations were that it would be drinkable but nothing beyond that. It blew me away. I went to Beer Advocate and found it had a rating of 93. Yeah, that's about what I would give it. Damn good beer.

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Banned
    I read some comments on beer advocate about Ectogasm. I like this comment:

Who knew world class beer could come out of Fargo! I've slowly come to prefer the "soft" NE style to the more traditional NE IPAs. And this beer suits that style perfectly.

Well, that’s the sort of style I would be looking for. Balanced, great mouthfeel, nice foam, not overly tart, and with a hop backbone.

Sounds fantastic
    Ian

Fat Orange Cat Double Pog Walkabout Fog was yummy yummy yummy. Its a sour DIPA with orange, Passion fruit, and guava....but just tasted like delicious dipa to me.

Banned
    This lighter Hazy has a very good dry hopped taste.

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    This lighter Hazy has a very good dry hopped taste.

Troegs makes a great product. I've been to their tasting room, with pretty decent German-style food, and took the self-guided tour a number of times. So glad I can get their beers up here in the Boston area.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Anyone else experiencing post-quarantine changes at their favorite watering holes? I took my vaccinated ass to one local restaurant/pub that always has at least 6 Sierra Nevada varieties on tap (sadly, no Big Little Thing), plus plenty of other brews, and a great outdoor seating area. It was my first time there in over a year. They once had a happy hour that featured half price for any of their many draft beers, as well as some decent happy hour food specials. All that is gone now. Done away with. Off the menu. Now there's just full price beer and no snacks. They still have nice employees, like the young waitress who told me about all the changes, sympathized about the loss of the happy hour specials, and helped me select a beer that suited my taste preference (bitter and twisted). I chose a draft Seismic Brewing Company Shatter Cone IPA from Sonoma County, California. Delicious.

My local is the same, good varied beer list, decent menu with daily specials, good beer garden.
    Ian

Banned
    I’ve seen in DC/MD/VA, cost/labor saving measures such as elimination of happy hour for existing craft venues. I expect some of this to change as labor goes back to work and people go back to these. On the other hand, I’ve seen upgrades to existing places and more new breweries. Those with resources are investing because they are getting ready for the surge in demand which will happen, unless the governments start policies which suppress business and the economy.