Page 1 of 131 123451151101 ... LastLast

Thread: The New Prog Beer Snob Thread

Banned

The New Prog Beer Snob Thread

I decided to start one that Tapatalk could interface with. This one is good:

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I'm in
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar

from Ians phone
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar

Great stuff if you can find it. It's made just on the other side of town from me.

NEW BELGIIUM RAMPANT IMPERIAL ALE - Just imbibed in this one with dinner tonight...

http://www.newbelgium.com/beer/rampa...FQotHwodgXwIdw
    Last edited by -=RTFR666=-; 12-18-2015 at 08:01 PM.
    -=Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?=-

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by -=RTFR666=- View Post
    NEW BELGIIUM RAMPANT IMPERIAL ALE - Just imbibed in this one with dinner tonight...

Nice

http://www.newbelgium.com/images/bee.../rampant_l.png

Quote Originally Posted by -=RTFR666=- View Post

Drank a few of these last Sunday while watching football with a friend of mine.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    I'm in
    As am I, but I'm afraid I won't participate much.

Most of my drinking is done locally, and due to NC's restrictive distribution laws, the furthest reach of these local breweries is SC.

Nevertheless, here is what I'm drinking:

orchard 1.jpg

I love ciders in the colder months, and this one from just south of the NC border is one of the best I've had. A nice dry and crisp cider that's given a bit of bite thanks to the ginger.

dunkel.jpg

Winter beer = dark lager for me, and Olde Meck's traditional German brewing methods (coupled with their German Beirgarten and sausages!) is an awesome combination.

During the summer, I switch almost exclusively to lighter lagers and sours. There are only a few local breweries doing sours and none have started packaging. (The closest one doing distribution is the amazing Wicked Weed in Asheville.) Summer usually equals a trip to Austin, too, which means stocking up on sours at the Jester King Brewery. So hit me up with some sour recommendations when the weather turns warm, and we can have some fun.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Subscribing.

The issue with a thread like this is that there are thousands upon thousands of beers out there and it becomes very difficult to find common ground, especially for non-Americans. I could talk all day about the myriad Québec microbrews that I imbibe weekly but nobody will know wtf I'm talking about...

Having said this I guess I'm still in.. I recently purchased a 2-drawer beer fridge for my "man cave" and proceeded to fill it with excellent micro brews from Québec and Ontario. I have even assigned a portion of it to beer that I will attempt to age. I realize that ageing them in a fridge (which I have set to 7C, the warmest setting possible) as opposed a wine cellar will slow the ageing down but I'm willing to give it a shot. I'm ageing primarily Imperial stouts and double porters; strong dark beers that will release more complex flavours over time. I'm on my way tonight to a beer snob dinner where I will be presenting the host a bottle of Dulcis Succubus by Trou Du Diable in Shawinigan. Not really my thing as I'm an IPA/ Imperial Stout guy, but they loved it when we visited the brewery in Shawinigan QC last October:

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/13605/66500/
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Probably the best X-mas beer I have tasted for a looong time

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/gordon-xmas-ale/9688/

Strong, fat, not too sweet, a little hoppy, lingering...

Banned
    For me the beer revival in the US has gone tits up in this respect: the local (very popular) beer snobs joint has maybe 100 taps and nearly everyone is an over hopped or flavored or ink dark brew of some kind so I've pretty much stopped going since I prefer a nice malty English style ale or a nice Belgian. They will sometimes have a decent example of the latter. Is it just me or does everyone like hoppy hoppy beer now? Snobs would know that hops are a recent innovation, beer was brewed for thousands of years without hops and really IPAs would probably one of the few proper examples of a heavily hopped darker ale - and that was done to preserve the ale during shipping...

Definitely in. I agree with Yves as a Canadian a reference to many of the suggestions never will be understood because of geography. I\ve visited 60 breweries in Ontario, 1 in Quebec, 7 in Pennsylvania, 1 in Michigan, and a brewpub in Chicago. Some good some bad. I collect glasses from the places I've been to. Looking to make a display case for them.

Yves, I'm heading to Terra Incognita in May after visiting my daughter in Ottawa. Any suggestions of microbreweries I should visit along the way?
    "The woods would be very silent if the only birds that sang were those who sang best..." - Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    Having said this I guess I'm still in.. I recently purchased a 2-drawer beer fridge for my "man cave" and proceeded to fill it with excellent micro brews from Québec and Ontario. I have even assigned a portion of it to beer that I will attempt to age. I realize that ageing them in a fridge (which I have set to 7C, the warmest setting possible) as opposed a wine cellar will slow the ageing down but I'm willing to give it a shot. I'm ageing primarily Imperial stouts and double porters; strong dark beers that will release more complex flavours over time.
    Probably best that you stick with ageing those styles. I have a beer cellar, which at one time had upwards of 30 cases in it. (Not a case of 30 different beers, but different beers that would add up to more than 30 cases.) Anyway, I've come to the realization that for me, most beers are better fresh. Over time, most beers/ales move towards Barleywine. Some get somewhat sour, but not like a sour style. The styles you mentioned should fare pretty well, though. One that I can recommend cellaring is Victory V-12. It improves the flavor and ups the already high alcohol content. Tremendous stuff aged.

Quote Originally Posted by Buddhabreath View Post
    Is it just me or does everyone like hoppy hoppy beer now? Snobs would know that hops are a recent innovation, beer was brewed for thousands of years without hops and really IPAs would probably one of the few proper examples of a heavily hopped darker ale - and that was done to preserve the ale during shipping...
    I greatly favor the IPA style. Give me bitter over sweet any day. And yes, it's probably the most popular style among craft beer aficionados, but it is a dividing line. I meet plenty of people (mostly women) at beer events who do not like hoppy beer.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I greatly favor the IPA style. Give me bitter over sweet any day. And yes, it's probably the most popular style among craft beer aficionados, but it is a dividing line. I meet plenty of people (mostly women) at beer events who do not like hoppy beer.
    I like dry hoppy. Bitter is strange thing to me. Sam Adams Boston Lager (30) is bitter to me, but Odell's IPA (60 ibu) isn't. Odell's St Lupulin hits the spot for dry hoppy heaven for me.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    <<Dulcis Succubus by Trou Du Diable in Shawinigan>>

WTF are you talking about, Yves?!

I don't care if it's something I'll ever try or not - it's just fun to hear about it, and see pictures of beer.

When I was a kid I used to take magazines and cut out pictures of the liquor bottles in the ads and keep them. Weird, I know! They looked good, and made me thirsty! All the nice green glass, etc. I'm sure my parents were worried.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I agree 100%, but I like beers that are both too.
    Like http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/troubad...stkust/172328/ or a little sweeter but with a nice name http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/troubadour-magma/119255/

Banned

Their IPA is delicious[emoji39]

Great menu to at this brewery restaurant near the Verizon Center in DC.

For me the beer revival in the US has gone tits up in this respect: the local (very popular) beer snobs joint has maybe 100 taps and nearly everyone is an over hopped or flavored or ink dark brew of some kind so I've pretty much stopped going since I prefer a nice malty English style ale or a nice Belgian. They will sometimes have a decent example of the latter. Is it just me or does everyone like hoppy hoppy beer now? Snobs would know that hops are a recent innovation, beer was brewed for thousands of years without hops and really IPAs would probably one of the few proper examples of a heavily hopped darker ale - and that was done to preserve the ale during shipping...
    Well, if you are planning on having 100 taps you're probably also thinking of offering a large variety of beers, no?

I don't consider myself a beer snob at all, probably because I don't pay much attention to what is involved with making various styles of beer, etc. I try different beers and based on those experiences I've found some beers I like and others that I don't.

I didn't plan it this way, but generally I've come to love really hoppy beers after having been through various stages of hating hoppy beers and preferring stouts, lagers, and browns.

For me flavored beers are usually an abomination and I wonder why people want beers that don't taste like beer.

But it's no different than music - if people like that stuff who am I to tell 'em they're wrong? And sometimes it's cool to have a large assortment on tap so you can try stuff you wouldn't want to risk buying an entire 6-pack of.

Sent Via PE's Mobile App
    Last edited by Plasmatopia; 12-19-2015 at 11:15 PM.
    <sig out of order>

Right before Thanksgiving I had a couple days off from work and decided to make the hour drive to get in line for the Tuesday delivery of Heady Topper in Winooski, VT. With a half hour left before that 10am opening at the beverage store I was something like 38th in line. Depending on how many are in line they hand out a certain amount of cases, then half cases, then two 4-packs, then single 4-packs. So I spent two hours driving and an hour at the store for the privilege of paying $28 for 8 cans of beer.

The beer was pretty good but I doubt I'd do that again.

Sent Via PE's Mobile App
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by gryphs also View Post

Yves, I'm heading to Terra Incognita in May after visiting my daughter in Ottawa. Any suggestions of microbreweries I should visit along the way?
    I'm not all that familiar with the microbreweries from Quebec City but La Voie Maltée makes some excellent beers, though I have no idea where is is in relation to the Terra Incognita venue:

http://www.lavoiemaltee.com/?resto=quebec

One of our favorite spots to stop at in between Montreal and Ottawa is Beau's in Vankleek Hill:

http://beaus.ca/

IPA is my favorite style, although I drink a little bit of everything.

The overly hopped beers are starting to take a back seat, at least here in Québec. Last summer saw many brewers making session beers. Sure some were hoppy, but they weren't these 9% / 100+ IBU beers we were seeing a few years ago. I like a good IPA myself, but I also like to venture in the Imperial Stouts. As with anything else in life I'm about exploring the extremes. What I don't like are wheat beers and reds. I am also not a fan of watery beers and rarely buy any that aren't at least at 6.5%.

Flavored beers are abomination?

Maybe you haven't had good ones?

A growler of imperial pumpkin (no clove flavoring! Hooray!) from NoDa Brewing is in the fridge as we speak.

I don't lie, gents. I'm an honest guy. This is the best pumpkin beer in the world. God's truth.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.