Thread: The New Prog Beer Snob Thread

  1. #2151
    Member Firth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Severn, MD
    Posts
    2,249
    Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    I like oatmeal stout, so I imagine I would like an oat porter. I recently tried a local oat vodka that wasn't bad. I'll give that Donner Party Porter a try next time I'm in a place that has it on tap. As long as it's not flavored with Soylent Green.



    Life's too short to drink bad beer.
    How about this one:



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    [They] agreed that it was neither possible nor necessary to educate people who never questioned anything.

  2. #2152
    Matt! polmico's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    1,103
    I'll be taking a trip out to Denver this week. Any brewery recommendations?

    We're staying in the Cherry Creek neighborhood. Looks like nothing particularly close (walkable), but there are a few clusters in some other neighborhoods a short Uber ride away.

    This metal themed brewery looks . . . interesting:

    https://www.trvebrewing.com
    Last edited by polmico; 3 Weeks Ago at 08:24 AM.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

  3. #2153
    Pikachupacabra spellbound's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Eastern Sierra
    Posts
    1,127
    The Husky IPA is a pretty good one. Alaska makes another IPA that I think is better, but the name escapes me at the moment. I am not sure why, but their beers are distributed all over the place in my neck of the woods and bars often have one or two on tap.
    Maybe you're thinking of Alaska's Hopothermia, an excellent IPA with an excellent name.



    That one sounds great. It is unlikely I will see one out here in the West.
    Can this be the swan song? The final elbow?

  4. #2154
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Kalamazoo Michigan
    Posts
    3,241
    Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    Maybe you're thinking of Alaska's Hopothermia, an excellent IPA with an excellent name.

    t.
    Yup, Hopothermia is the one. Great stuff!

  5. #2155
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Kalamazoo Michigan
    Posts
    3,241
    Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    I'll be taking a trip out to Denver this week. Any brewery recommendations?

    We're staying in the Cherry Creek neighborhood. Looks like nothing particularly close (walkable), but there are a few clusters in some other neighborhoods a short Uber ride away.

    This metal themed brewery looks . . . interesting:

    https://www.trvebrewing.com
    A bunch of good breweries within walking distance of each other in downtown Boulder (my wife's sister lives there) if you get out that way, but I don't know that much about Denver.

  6. #2156
    Member Zeuhlmate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Posts
    3,252
    American Trappist Brewery

    https://spencerbrewery.com/

    I had their IPA yesterday, Rich, almost fat, lots of hops
    https://www.ratebeer.com/beer/spence...le-ale/398994/

  7. #2157
    I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    4,961
    Their Trappist Ale is very good.
    Ian

    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

  8. #2158
    Pikachupacabra spellbound's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Eastern Sierra
    Posts
    1,127
    Tried a few drafts at a local brewpub:

    Able Baker (Henderson, NV) Atomic Duck-a rather ordinary IPA. Not bad. Not exceptional.

    Lost Coast (Eureka, CA) Fog Cutter-a much better IPA.

    Wife tried a flavored beer, which I had to finish:

    Victory (Downington, PA) Peach Belgian Blonde-a dessert beer. Too sweet for my taste, but not bad for what it is.

    She also tried a brown ale, Samuel Smith's (North Yorkshire) Nut Brown Ale. She found it disappointing compared to other brown ales she has had. But she finished it. I was surprised she didn't think it was better, as I like most of Samuel Smith's output. I chalk it up to individual taste, as well as her greater experience with brown ales.

    I wanted to get a North Coast (Ft. Bragg, CA) Red Seal Pale Ale, which they had on nitro tap, but they were out of it.

    _________________

    At a brand new semi-local brewpub on another day, we had Revision (Sparks, NV) IPA. I had it before, and it is always a winner for me. Wife liked it, too. Will go back another time, as they also had North Coast Old Rasputin Imperial Stout on tap, a favorite among stouts.

    Can this be the swan song? The final elbow?

  9. #2159
    I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    4,961
    Samuel Smith's (North Yorkshire) Nut Brown Ale is a personal favorite, I'll probably have it next week when I'm in England. The brewery is 60 miles from where I grew up and one of the pubs in town is a tied house for Sam Smiths.

    Always liked Old Rasputin
    Ian

    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

  10. #2160
    Member Firth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Severn, MD
    Posts
    2,249
    A local good at Penn State:
    [They] agreed that it was neither possible nor necessary to educate people who never questioned anything.

  11. #2161
    Pikachupacabra spellbound's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Eastern Sierra
    Posts
    1,127
    Couple of Yorkshire ales I like, but haven't had in a while, are Theakston Old Peculier and Theakston Bitter. I have been fortunate to find both on tap (English style tap) in the US, years ago.
    Can this be the swan song? The final elbow?

  12. #2162
    I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    4,961
    Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    Couple of Yorkshire ales I like, but haven't had in a while, are Theakston Old Peculier and Theakston Bitter. I have been fortunate to find both on tap (English style tap) in the US, years ago.
    Oh yeah, both are great, if you mix them together in a pint it's known as "Standard", I'll be drinking that in a little fishing village in North Yorkshire in 10 days.

    Ian

    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

  13. #2163
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    166
    Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    She also tried a brown ale, Samuel Smith's (North Yorkshire) Nut Brown Ale. She found it disappointing compared to other brown ales she has had. But she finished it. I was surprised she didn't think it was better, as I like most of Samuel Smith's output. I chalk it up to individual taste, as well as her greater experience with brown ales.
    I had it for the first time a few weeks ago when I visited friends in Nashville. It was the 16oz cans, and it was great.

    I tried to find it when I got home here in the Northeast. I was able to find the 12oz bottles; it didn't taste as good. I'm sure it's a matter of freshness, storage, etc.
    "Normal is just the average of extremes" - Gary Lessor

  14. #2164
    Pikachupacabra spellbound's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Eastern Sierra
    Posts
    1,127
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbassdrum
    I tried to find it when I got home here in the Northeast. I was able to find the 12oz bottles; it didn't taste as good. I'm sure it's a matter of freshness, storage, etc.
    Some of the better breweries are putting the bottling date on their beers now. Three months is the recommended time from that date by which to drink them (assuming they have been stored in a cool dry place or refrigerated constantly). Dated beers nearing three months old will often be sold at a lower price. Import beers have always been a crap shoot. Many excellent beers are made in other countries, but how fresh are they when they get into your hands?
    Can this be the swan song? The final elbow?

  15. #2165
    I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    4,961
    When I was a student our local beer store used to reduce the price based on how out of date the beer was, being an impoverished student we were always looking for the stuff 12 months to 2 years old.
    Ian

    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

  16. #2166
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Kalamazoo Michigan
    Posts
    3,241
    Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    Couple of Yorkshire ales I like, but haven't had in a while, are Theakston Old Peculier and Theakston Bitter. I have been fortunate to find both on tap (English style tap) in the US, years ago.
    I have always been a fan of "Old Peculier". It is pretty rare to find on tap unless it is an English Pub type of place, but if I happen to be in a place that has it I usually have one.

  17. #2167
    Member Jerjo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    small town in ND
    Posts
    3,453
    I'm really careful about bottling dates, especially on the non-pasteurized brews. It really makes a difference.

    ND: New Belgium's Voodoo Ranger Juicy Haze IPA
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

  18. #2168
    Banned Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    4209′30″N 7108′43″W
    Posts
    2,519
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbassdrum View Post
    I was able to find the 12oz bottles; it didn't taste as good. I'm sure it's a matter of freshness, storage, etc.
    There's a high-end produce market/bakery/grocery store near me that has a fairly substantial collection of wines and craft beers for sale, and they have them in a southwest facing window with no shades.

  19. #2169
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    166
    Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    Some of the better breweries are putting the bottling date on their beers now. Three months is the recommended time from that date by which to drink them (assuming they have been stored in a cool dry place or refrigerated constantly). Dated beers nearing three months old will often be sold at a lower price. Import beers have always been a crap shoot. Many excellent beers are made in other countries, but how fresh are they when they get into your hands?
    The Nashville cans were purchased cold. The bottles I bought were sitting on a shelf in the middle of the store. I looked for any date; the only thing is a code SL27R1 on each of the 4 bottles. Also, one little nit-picky item; there is gold foil at the top covering the cap as well; it was not easy to remove from the cap or neck
    "Normal is just the average of extremes" - Gary Lessor

  20. #2170
    Member Zeuhlmate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Posts
    3,252
    ^^
    It depens on the type.
    Dark types with high alcohol matures and sometimes the maturing is interesting.
    Belgian Chimay, especially the blue one, ages and changes every year and gets more and more expensive year for year.
    5 years old and the price has doubled.

    Lagers usually gets worse.

  21. #2171
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    The Kingdom of YHVH
    Posts
    2,206
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    ^^
    It depens on the type.
    Dark types with high alcohol matures and sometimes the maturing is interesting.
    Belgian Chimay, especially the blue one, ages and changes every year and gets more and more expensive year for year.
    5 years old and the price has doubled.

    Lagers usually gets worse.
    yup... Lagers need to be drunk fresh

    Ales not so much, especially over 6% then age aint nuthin but a number

  22. #2172
    Member moecurlythanu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Crimea River
    Posts
    5,699
    Victory V12 turns into a wonderful monstrous beast after aging for a year in the cold cellar.

  23. #2173
    Member Jerjo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    small town in ND
    Posts
    3,453
    Ales not so much, especially over 6% then age aint nuthin but a number
    Yeah, I am much more careless with imperial IPAs with high ABV numbers.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

  24. #2174
    Pikachupacabra spellbound's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Eastern Sierra
    Posts
    1,127
    Hops and alcohol are the two natural preservatives in beer. So an Imperial IPA might be expected to have a longer shelf life than other beers.

    Ales meant to improve with age are usually so marked on the bottle.
    Can this be the swan song? The final elbow?

  25. #2175
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Kalamazoo Michigan
    Posts
    3,241
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I'm really careful about bottling dates, especially on the non-pasteurized brews. It really makes a difference.

    ND: New Belgium's Voodoo Ranger Juicy Haze IPA
    A friend of mine and I often watch football on Sunday afternoons in the fall and drink beer. A while back he bought a 12 variety pack of Dark Horse IPA's, none of which I had ever heard of (Dark Horse is only about 30 minutes down the road). He picked this up on sale at a grocery store for a really cheap price. He was really proud of himself........I was wary. I have rarely found a Dark Horse beer that I have not liked, but this stuff had to be really old. It was so skunky we ended up only getting through a couple of bottles and poured the rest out. I have no clue how old that beer was, but it was really bad.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •