Thread: The New Prog Beer Snob Thread

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Interesting. I lost some taste for a few days when I had COVID and noticed it when drinking IPA's especially, although all seems back to normal now.
    Yes, I was drinking IPAs at the time as I noticed the altered taste. Didnít lose taste, taste was different and this was Omicron which was much less likely to cause taste loss.
    On the verge of indecision
    I'll always take the roundabout way

I've got a twelve of Hacker Pschorr Marzen and it's right on track. I'd say your sense of taste is still a little out of line. No worries, it will come back and hopefully in time for the holiday ales.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I've got a twelve of Hacker Pschorr Marzen and it's right on track. I'd say your sense of taste is still a little out of line. No worries, it will come back and hopefully in time for the holiday ales.
    Iím assuming you are tasting Oktoberfest by Hacker Pschorr. While it has a characteristic taste, it is does not taste as bad as the Paulaner.

A BA comment on the Paulaner:
    A very nice Mšrzen-style Oktoberfest. This is one of the standard-bearers of the style and rightfully so. Things do change slightly year-to-year for this brew (not by much though). Some years I prefer this brew, other years I prefer Hacker-Pschorr's. The 2 are very similar and are owned, if not brewed, by the same company. Between the 2, Paulaner always seemed to tend to being more 'grassy' or even spicy.

I agree with this assessment and I think my taste is more sensitive after COVID. Maybe all of that phlegm I blew out helped clean out a layer of cells in the olfactory area which is important to taste. Draft versions of these beers donít have that grassy taste to the same degree. Perhaps the carbonation added in bottling amplifies that taste.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Draft beers:

Blind Pig IPA - Russian River Brewing, California

Nelson Solo Pale Ale - The Brewing Lair, California
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973