Thread: The New Prog Beer Snob Thread

I'm still drinking Pumpking Nitro....its still dark autumn in me head. I can't do xmas yet.

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    Time to go someplace with a more extensive beer selection, I guess. Never ran across Breckenridge beer here. I assume it's from Colorado.
    Where're you at? It's easy to find in Ohio.

Highest rated IPA in each state, based on BA ratings:

https://vinepair.com/articles/best-h...a-every-state/

Take with a grain of salt, but it's interesting reading nonetheless.

Had a bottle of this, yesterday evening: https://www.oerbier.be/en/stille-nac...h-density-beer

It's a tripel, basically - but with unbelievably complex flavours - hints of winter spices, of fruit cake, but nothing overwhelming the underlying "natural" flavours of the tripel.

And it's 12%

[stunning, btw]

Bought the case[emoji41]
    On the verge of indecision
    I'll always take the roundabout way

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Other day I had a new triple IPA at a local brewpub. Wasn't bad, but didn't taste all that exciting to me that day. You seem to lose a lot of the hoppy taste going from a double (their flagship beer is a double IPA) to a triple. So I tasted both of their new brown ales, a regular and a flavored. Usually I don't go for flavored beers, but I opted for a pint of this gingerbread-flavored brown. It was good and hit the spot on a cool day. Will have the regular next time, if I can talk the wife into joining me. Brown ales are her favorite.

Other day I had a new triple IPA at a local brewpub. Wasn't bad, but didn't taste all that exciting to me that day. You seem to lose a lot of the hoppy taste going from a double (their flagship beer is a double IPA) to a triple. So I tasted both of their new brown ales, a regular and a flavored. Usually I don't go for flavored beers, but I opted for a pint of this gingerbread-flavored brown. It was good and hit the spot on a cool day. Will have the regular next time, if I can talk the wife into joining me. Brown ales are her favorite.
    I am not usually a big fan of Triple IPA's. They are usually too boozy for my taste. Founders Devil Dancer and Dogfish Head 120 Minute are two examples that come to mind.

Kinda wondering what Guinness Ginger Stout tastes like.

And this sort of answers the question:
    https://www.alcoholprofessor.com/blo...d-spiced-stout
    Last edited by Firth; 12-16-2021 at 05:56 PM.

Masthead's Triple IPAs are to die for. Especially the 3xNEIPAs. So are their doubles. Top top shelf.

I love the high-octane stuff, whether the alcohol is well-hidden or not. Currently in my beer fridge:

Bells Mars
    Lagunitas Maximus and Unrefined Shugga
    Evil Twin Molotov Cocktail

I also try to keep the Westmalle Tripel on hand, but my local has been having trouble getting it through the distributor.

Even for other styles, if the brewer puts the word "Imperial" in the description I'll usually try it. There's a brewery in the state that makes a delicious Imperial Oktoberfest, for example.

I guess I'm just a boozehound...
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Had a Tree House Tree Of Promise 12% stout blended with barrel aged barleywine. Strong, sticky, sweet and boozy with no alcohol burn. Superb.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I would probably like a ginger-flavored unsweetened brew, because I like ginger (in Chinese dishes, especially). I understand that brewers add all the flavors and spices of gingerbread to sell more beer. Many Americans like sugar more than they like beer. Some of the flavorings they put in beers these days make me sick just thinking about them. But if a flavored beer sounds interesting and isn't syrupy sweet, I might give it a try. Otherwise, I stick mostly to bitter, uncloudy west coast IPAs. Lagunitas Maximus, mentioned above by proggy_jazzer, is a good one.

BTW, the two brown ales I tasted were 6% alcohol. That seems about normal for a brown, although I'm sure there are exceptions. I don't mind high-octane beers, as long as they taste good.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by proggy_jazzer View Post
    I love the high-octane stuff, whether the alcohol is well-hidden or not. Currently in my beer fridge:

Bells Mars
    Lagunitas Maximus and Unrefined Shugga
    Evil Twin Molotov Cocktail

I also try to keep the Westmalle Tripel on hand, but my local has been having trouble getting it through the distributor.

Even for other styles, if the brewer puts the word "Imperial" in the description I'll usually try it. There's a brewery in the state that makes a delicious Imperial Oktoberfest, for example.

I guess I'm just a boozehound...
    Mars is a double, not a triple. I just had some on tap last week. Great stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Mars is a double, not a triple. I just had some on tap last week. Great stuff!
    I know that's what they call it - but at 10%, it's not something I'm going to have more than two of in an evening... I've been keeping my eyes open for a pub that has it on tap.
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

Quote Originally Posted by proggy_jazzer View Post
    I know that's what they call it - but at 10%, it's not something I'm going to have more than two of in an evening... I've been keeping my eyes open for a pub that has it on tap.
    It is pretty rare to find on tap even here in it's hometown unless you are at the brewery itself. I know one other bar that has it. To me Mars does not have the boozy taste that the triple IPA's do. Double Two Hearted & Hopslam are similar DIPA's from Bells that are 10% or higher, but don't have a boozy taste. I am not sure that Bell's has ever made a triple IPA. They probably have, but nothing is coming to mind at the moment.

The list of beers most checked in on Untappd has been published. Eh...

https://untappd.com/blog/the-top-10-beers-of-2021/1391

Shockingly bad, who bothers checking in Corona or Miller Lite? Average rating 3.1 and 2.5. At least the brewery list starts with Tree House and Other Half
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

What is a check-in? That looks like a list of top beers based on sales, to me. Certainly not quality. But the article says it's based on check-ins. I do not know what that is. The article doesn't explain.
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Tried a new local porter. Not bad, but not as good as Founders or Sierra Nevada. Winter is here.

What is a check-in? That looks like a list of top beers based on sales, to me. Certainly not quality. But the article says it's based on check-ins. I do not know what that is. The article doesn't explain.
    Untappd is an app where you can 'check-in' the beers you drink and rate them. So they are quoting the total number of check-ins on the app. For example I've checked in 1606 different beers since 2014.
    Ian

Thanks for the explanation. I guess there's a lot I don't hear about, not having a cell phone.

Just out of curiosity, and not a criticism, but what possesses people to think anyone cares what they are drinking (I realize that sounds hypocritical, since I post on this thread the beers that I try)? Does Untappd have a reward system where you could earn a free beer? I've been in pubs, but never noticed anyone using Untappd, but then, these days someone staring at their phone screen is pretty commonplace, and I'm not nosy enough to ask them what they're doing.

It's more about tracking what I've had and seeing what people think of a beer I'm about to order. I can check if I've had it before and if I liked it. I also like to try beers I've never had before. Their slogan should be 'thanks untappd for making my drinking problem a hobby'. I do also see check ins from friends.
    Ian

There's also a cell phone app called Craft Check. You enter a beer's name and it tells you if it is indeed a craft beer, or just a poser brewed by one of the mass market brewers. I downloaded it after trying a recommended ale at a bar. It was awful so I did a search and found out it was a Coors product.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    There's also a cell phone app called Craft Check. You enter a beer's name and it tells you if it is indeed a craft beer, or just a poser brewed by one of the mass market brewers. I downloaded it after trying a recommended ale at a bar. It was awful so I did a search and found out it was a Coors product.
    This doesn’t mean much, but Molson Coors has 1% the sales of Inbev.

Couldnt find Craft Check in the IOS App store.