Thread: The New Prog Beer Snob Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    SNL aired a video of Michigan gov Gretchen Whitmer drinking a LaBatt. Whitmer issued a statement that corrected them on her beer of choice, Michigan's best IPA.

Attachment 14016
    I found that SNL skit to be hilarious, but maybe you have to live in Michigan to get it. Whitmer's statement with the Two Hearted was also funny!

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    if you want money for people with minds that hate, all I can tell you is brother you have to wait

I have found I donít like some IPAs in the bottle or can, but like them on tap. Itís like maybe the carbonic acid adds too much edge from the additional carbonation. Hazy IPAs donít seem to have edge. Just had this and itís good:
    On the verge of indecision
    I'll always take the roundabout way

Recommeded:

https://kissmeyer.com/product/stockholm-syndrome-dipa/

An intense, full bodied and massive double/imperial IPA, but in its young life with an explosion of fruity hop aromas and flavours, and later in life with vineous and woody complexity. Huge, but incredibly smooth and balanced bitterness, creating a lethal drinakbility!

Bell's has come up with a light version of Two Hearted. I'll be having one tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Bell's has come up with a light version of Two Hearted. I'll be having one tonight.
    I have actually been drinking a lot of that since it came out. It is really the perfect session beer. 3.8% alcohol, so basically the same as a Miller / Bud Light and 110 calories. It does not taste as good as regular Two Hearted, but tastes a hell of a lot better than regular light beers. It is a little bit pricey, but that is because they used top notch ingredients to make it. It is the perfect beer for the golf course, beach or any time you want to drink quite a few beers, but not get too fucked up.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve[I
    may[/I]Sly;977130]I have actually been drinking a lot of that since it came out. It is really the perfect session beer. 3.8% alcohol, so basically the same as a Miller / Bud Light and 110 calories. It does not taste as good as regular Two Hearted, but tastes a hell of a lot better than regular light beers. It is a little bit pricey, but that is because they used top notch ingredients to make it. It is the perfect beer for the golf course, beach or any time you want to drink quite a few beers, but not get too fucked up.
    It is very good, and serves the purpose you describe. However, at no point, did I stop and say "Wow."

I do buy "lighter" beers to mix in with my usual fare, so it isn't all just heavy bombs all night long. (Though occasionally...) Anyway, my go to lighter change of pace beer has been Wolf Pup Session IPA. My buddy, who is an even bigger beer head than I am, thinks it's an INBEV product, but he's not sure. So if doctrinal purity is your thing, this may not be for you. And I've not been able to find their full powered IPA. The brewery is supposedly Golden Road Brewing, which sounds like they should be brewing mushroom decoctions. Anyway, it's a nice low alcohol IPA with a pronounced citrus flavor, and I recommend it without reservation.
    He did not know that the sword he'd hold, would turn his priceless empire into fool's gold...

http://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

This (almost) alcohol free IPA is very good !

https://www.brewdog.com/blog/punk-af/

Brooklyn Special Effects (amber lager) is also quite ok !
    Last edited by Zeuhlmate; 05-25-2020 at 06:26 AM.

Ready for summer!

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    This (almost) alcohol free IPA is very good !

https://www.brewdog.com/blog/punk-af/

Brooklyn Special Effects (amber lager) is also quite ok !
    https://steadydrinker.com/reviews/pa...ewdog-punk-af/

Although as a Scot, it pains me to say so, but I find more or less everything produced by BrewDog to be overhyped sh*te. Their bars, in particular, make manifest everything that is wrong with their beer - loud & shouty on first impression, & somewhere you wouldn't want to stay for any length of time.

Their non-/low-alcohol offerings conform to type.

By contrast, the low/non-alcohol "Without" range brewed by St Peters are all excellent (https://www.stpetersbrewery.co.uk/pr...ohol-free-ale/); as is the Franziskaner alcohol-free wheat beer.

^ Yeah, I avoid BrewDog as well. Mediocre at best, for my taste.

Yesterday, I tried a Drake's Hopocalypse, which they call a hazy double IPA. Not a huge fan of the 'hazy' style, but I don't reject them without trying them. I am a fan of Drake's brewery in San Leandro, California. They make good beer. And I love IPA. It was light colored and slightly hazy. The label described it as having juicy notes of tangerine, papaya, peach, and mango, from the hops rather than any added fruit juice. To my taste, it lacked the bitterness of a typical IPA (as an example of bitter, I am now having an Arrogant Bastard IPA). I could certainly taste the fruit flavors in the Hopocalypse, while not immediately identifying the individual fruits in the description. To me, it tasted more like a mixed-fruit sour ale than a bitter one. Not that that's necessarily a bad thing; it just wasn't mentioned on the label. And not quite as sour as a true sour ale. So, an ale with sour fruit flavor but apparently no added fruit. At first, I was a bit disappointed as the taste didn't seem to match the label's description or my expectation of a double IPA. But in true Drake's fashion, it got better as I drank more. I only bought the one to try; perhaps I could get more of them another time.
    if you want money for people with minds that hate, all I can tell you is brother you have to wait

Just had one of Founder's version of a New England Style IPA: (Called "Juicy" IPA here.) Unraveled IPA. It's good, but there are literally dozens of New England style IPAs that are better than this, and the best are light years ahead of this beer. Won't bother again.
    He did not know that the sword he'd hold, would turn his priceless empire into fool's gold...

http://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Just had one of Founder's version of a New England Style IPA: (Called "Juicy" IPA here.) Unraveled IPA. It's good, but there are literally dozens of New England style IPAs that are better than this, and the best are light years ahead of this beer. Won't bother again.
    Here in Southwest Michigan I get the feeling that Founder's came up with that one to compete with Bell's "Official" NEIPA. Official is another mediocre version of the style, but Bell's has pushed the hell out of it and the beer has become huge around here. Along with Two Hearted and Oberon just about every bar and restaurant now has Official on tap, and was starting to leave Founders in the dust. Personally I don't think either brewery is all that great at doing NEIPA's, although I did like Bell's "Sideyard" that came out in limited release last fall.

I'm not impressed with the NEIPAs I've come across from my usual Upper Midwest/Great Lakes breweries.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I'm not impressed with the NEIPAs I've come across from my usual Upper Midwest/Great Lakes breweries.
    I would generally agree, although the stuff coming out of Old Nation Brewing near Lansing Michigan are pretty amazing. Their flagship is M-43, which is a top notch NEIPA, but not sure if it is available outside of the state. They make some other really good ones too. There is also a small brewery about an hour to the west of me called Transient that makes some really good NEIPA's, but they have no distribution at all outside of the brewery itself.

I find that I like NEIPAs on draft, but in the can it seems like the added carbonation adds too much carbonic acid to the taste. Maybe itís citrus direction which isnít balanced enough by hops or oat malt.

I tried a Deschutes Red Chair NWPA from a nitro tap. Excellent.

Yes, I had to go out to a recently reopened restaurant/pub to get this. But employees followed social distancing guidelines and the nearest customers to me on the outdoor patio were seated at least 15 feet away from me. They chose one end of the patio, I chose the other. Not something I'd do every day during the quarantine, but damn that nitro beer tastes good.

I just looked at BeerAdvocate for the top NEIPA styles and none of those brews are distributed in my part of the world. Maybe I could find a couple on a trip to the Twin Cities but given the state of things, anything more than just a run of more than 90 miles isn't going to happen (Twin Cities is 588 miles).

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I just looked at BeerAdvocate for the top NEIPA styles and none of those brews are distributed in my part of the world. Maybe I could find a couple on a trip to the Twin Cities but given the state of things, anything more than just a run of more than 90 miles isn't going to happen (Twin Cities is 588 miles).
    Just did a run round Tree House and Trillium so I'm well set for NEIPA.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Just did a run round Tree House and Trillium so I'm well set for NEIPA.
    I with those were available in my neck of the woods. Never had them unfortunately.

Was in Total Wine yesterday. Amongst other adult beverages, I got a four-pack each of Night Shift's Whirlpool, Lord Hobo's Hobo Life, and Troeg's Perpetual IPA. Been a while since I've had the Troeg's. The other two are good (and local to me) examples of New England style IPAs.
    Lou

Awarded the Krusty Brand Seal of Approval. It's not just good, it's good enough.

The New Prog Beer Snob Thread

I have drank 2 cans of Magic Hat Easy Miles Hazy Pale Ale (On 2 different days) and I canít drink anymore it. Terrible harsh taste, not just a hop bitterness, perhaps the hops were cooked too much. 4 cans left, anybody?

I don't know if any of you out there are familiar with Mars from Bell's, but it was part of their Planets series from a few years ago. The series was not all that great, but I thought Mars was excellent. Anyway, they just brought it back for a limited run. Not sure if they are selling it outside of the brewery or not.