Thread: The New Prog Beer Snob Thread

  1. #2176
    Pikachupacabra spellbound's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Eastern Sierra
    Posts
    1,153
    It should be illegal to sell beer that has gone bad.

    ND: New Belgium's Voodoo Ranger Juicy Haze IPA
    I like Voodoo Ranger regular IPA. I am leery of NE IPAs because, while I have had a few good ones, most seem to leave a sweet aftertaste to their "juicyness." But that's just my personal preference for west coast IPAs and not a criticism of those who prefer the Northeast style. To each his own.

    Other day I went to a local brewpub because it is the only place I know to get Alaskan Hopothermia on tap. They were out of it that day, so I tried one of their own brews, a double hop imperial west coast IPA. It wasn't bad, but it was unfiltered, which seemed to make it a bit chunky. I guess I'm accustomed to filtered beers, but I'm game to try any IPA. It had the highest IBU of any beer I've had, at 150, and 8.2% ABV. The doubled hops were Simcoe, Cascade and Summit. Very hoppy, pretty tasty.
    Can this be the swan song? The final elbow?

  2. #2177
    Pikachupacabra spellbound's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Eastern Sierra
    Posts
    1,153
    Has anyone encountered these new plastic monstrosities the hold six packs of beer together?



    I struggled to get the cans out of the packaging and thought there must be something I don't know about them. Turns out, I'm not the only one:

    The Story Behind Those Frustrating Craft Beer Six-Pack Holders

    I use a church key to pry these things off the cans. The cans don't require a church key to open them.
    Last edited by spellbound; 07-12-2019 at 04:00 PM.
    Can this be the swan song? The final elbow?

  3. #2178
    I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    5,091
    Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    I like Voodoo Ranger regular IPA. I am leery of NE IPAs because, while I have had a few good ones, most seem to leave a sweet aftertaste to their "juicyness." But that's just my personal preference for west coast IPAs and not a criticism of those who prefer the Northeast style. To each his own.
    .
    I like both styles, for me variety is the important thing.
    Ian

    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

  4. #2179
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Kalamazoo Michigan
    Posts
    3,319
    Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    Has anyone encountered these new plastic monstrosities the hold six packs of beer together?
    ck Holders[/URL]
    I first saw one in Florida a few years ago, but now they are very common here in Michigan.

  5. #2180
    Pikachupacabra spellbound's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Eastern Sierra
    Posts
    1,153
    I continue to try NE IPAs in hope of finding a favorite. They're not bad, just not what I'm used to after years of not knowing there was an alternative to west coast IPAs. I don't travel much. There is a local brewery that makes at least half their IPAs in the NE style. I tried one of theirs not long ago where the sweet aftertaste magically disappeared after a few seconds. Not bad at all. I, too, like variety.

    In the fridge:

    Negra Modelo dark beer (bottled)
    Sierra Nevada Sierraveza lager* (canned-packaged in thin cardboard box)
    Revision IPA (canned-packaged in plastic monstrosity)
    Bear Republic Racer 5 IPA (bottled)

    No, I don't drink them all at once or all the time. But they're there when thirst arises. Bottles, cans, and packaging go in the recycle bin.

    *anyone else wonder at many 'craft' brewers imitating Mexican lagers for nearly twice the price of the real thing?
    Last edited by spellbound; 07-12-2019 at 03:58 PM.
    Can this be the swan song? The final elbow?

  6. #2181
    Banned Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    4209′30″N 7108′43″W
    Posts
    2,555
    Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    Has anyone encountered these new plastic monstrosities the hold six packs of beer together?
    I like them, since they keep the top of the cans clean, they're NOT difficult to remove, and I reuse the caps as a lid to keep my opened soda clean when I'm doing work outside.

  7. #2182
    Banned Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    4209′30″N 7108′43″W
    Posts
    2,555
    Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    Negra Modelo dark beer
    Nice-tasting beer, but the fargin foil is damned near impossible to remove.

  8. #2183
    Member Jerjo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    small town in ND
    Posts
    3,531
    Currently in the main section of the beer fridge (excluding those that are aging)

    Bells Two-Hearted IPA
    Laughing Sun Feast Like a Sultan IPA
    Deschutes Black Butte Porter
    Founders Backwoods Bastard Scotch Ale
    Surly Furious IPA
    Fulton Sweet Child of Vine IPA
    New Belgium Voodoo Ranger Juicy IPA
    Bells Oberon Wheat Ale
    Last edited by Jerjo; 07-12-2019 at 06:14 PM.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

  9. #2184
    Member wideopenears's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    Posts
    430
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I have always been a fan of "Old Peculier". It is pretty rare to find on tap unless it is an English Pub type of place, but if I happen to be in a place that has it I usually have one.
    ditto. One of my all-time faves.
    "And this is the chorus.....or perhaps it's a bridge...."

  10. #2185
    Member moecurlythanu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Crimea River
    Posts
    5,839
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I first saw one in Florida a few years ago, but now they are very common here in Michigan.
    They're widespread in Ohio, and most of the local brewers who can beer use them.

  11. #2186
    Member Since: 3/27/2002 MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    The Kingdom of YHVH
    Posts
    2,208
    just finished a double-blind evaluation of Milk/Sweet Stouts
    excellent ones from Reno and Albuquerque

    I keep getting an 'error' message when I try to upload the pic... anyone else experience this?
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

  12. #2187
    Member Since: 3/27/2002 MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    The Kingdom of YHVH
    Posts
    2,208
    MILK-SWEET STOUT EVAL.jpg

    hope this works
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

  13. #2188
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Kalamazoo Michigan
    Posts
    3,319
    Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    I continue to try NE IPAs in hope of finding a favorite. They're not bad, just not what I'm used to after years of not knowing there was an alternative to west coast IPAs. I don't travel much. There is a local brewery that makes at least half their IPAs in the NE style. I tried one of theirs not long ago where the sweet aftertaste magically disappeared after a few seconds. Not bad at all. I, too, like variety.

    In the fridge:

    Negra Modelo dark beer (bottled)
    Sierra Nevada Sierraveza lager* (canned-packaged in thin cardboard box)
    Revision IPA (canned-packaged in plastic monstrosity)
    Bear Republic Racer 5 IPA (bottled)

    No, I don't drink them all at once or all the time. But they're there when thirst arises. Bottles, cans, and packaging go in the recycle bin.

    *anyone else wonder at many 'craft' brewers imitating Mexican lagers for nearly twice the price of the real thing?
    I have tried a lot of NEIPA's and Old Nation's M-43 is still my favorite although I don't know if it available outside of Michigan.

    It does seem like Mexican Lagers is the latest fad around here too. Some of them are quite good though if you want a refreshing summer beer, but yea they are going to cost more than a Corona, or Tecate.

  14. #2189
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Waterloo, IA, USA
    Posts
    540
    Modelo Negra is my go-to beer for spicy food; thirst-quenching, not nuclear in ABV, and with a touch of sweetness that really compliments the spice. I love the story behind the style, that brewers fleeing Europe in the mid-20th century settled in Mexico and began brewing there. Haven't seen many imitators yet, but that's probably due to the fact that few of our local micros do lagers consistently.
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

  15. #2190
    Member Lopez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Medford, Massachusetts
    Posts
    2,757
    Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    Has anyone encountered these new plastic monstrosities the hold six packs of beer together?
    I haven't seen them on six-packs. Most of the local breweries who can sell their product as four-packs of 16-oz cans and they use that carrier contraption. Took a while to figure out how to pry a can loose, but it's second-nature now.

    And don't believe that they are biodegradable. Once at a "green" food stand in upstate New York, I got a spoon made of the same plastic. The sign said they would degrade in a compost bin in 3 weeks. I put it in mine and 3 months later I dug it out completely unchanged.
    Lou

    Awarded the Krusty Brand Seal of Approval. It's not just good, it's good enough.

  16. #2191
    I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    5,091
    https://thehardtimes.net/culture/man...DWlTWtRRHVAJOQ

    "Man Pretends to Thoughtfully Peruse Beer List Before Picking Based on Alcohol Content"

    You know you've done it.

    I do like the Old Nation's M-43 a lot though I'll still stick to Trillium & Tree House as my go to's.
    Ian

    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

  17. #2192
    Member moecurlythanu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Crimea River
    Posts
    5,839
    Maine Lunch is probably my favorite NEIPA.

  18. #2193
    Matt! polmico's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    1,138
    Quote Originally Posted by proggy_jazzer View Post
    Haven't seen many imitators yet, but that's probably due to the fact that few of our local micros do lagers consistently.
    Mexican lagers are my go to beer in the summer. Several local breweries feature them. And there a few really excellent ones on the national scene.

    21st Amendment’s El Sully is particularly nice.

    It’s a shame that your locals don’t produce lagers.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

  19. #2194
    Pikachupacabra spellbound's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Eastern Sierra
    Posts
    1,153
    Mexican beers are wonderful summertime thirst quenchers. I have heard that some contain adjuncts, but many are still made in the style taught by German and Austrian master brewers in the 19th century. Dos Equis Amber and Negra Modelo are not-so-heavy dark beers made in the Viennese style. Lighter beers are made in the German or Bohemian (Czech Pilsner) style. The best Mexican beer I had was 40 years ago, a brand called Superior. At the time, they made a great thirst quenching lager in a green bottle. A pitcher of that with a plate of Mexican food was heaven. Later, Superior exported an inferior beer in a brown bottle. Then it disappeared completely north of the border, though it may still be made in Mexico. My favorites among currently available Mexican lagers in no particular order are Bohemia, Pacifico, Negra Modelo, Sol, Carta Blanca, Estrella, Modelo Especial, Dos Equis, and Victoria. I haven't had a Tecate in years and can't recall the flavor. Corona, I never particularly cared for. Other Mexican beers I have not tried.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mysterious Traveler
    hope this works
    The photo of the beers works, but the text on the paper is mostly illegible. It appears you were taste testing milk stouts, and one of the ones you ranked highest is Great Basin's Outlaw Milk Stout, a local stout in these parts of the Eastern Sierra, readily available on tap or in bottles. Would be interested to read your rankings, if you care to type them. 'Outlaw' used to be sold as an oatmeal stout. In recent years brewers have been labeling stouts that contain milk as milk stouts, probably because many people are either allergic to, or otherwise cannot tolerate milk.

    "Homer no well function beer without."
    Can this be the swan song? The final elbow?

  20. #2195
    Pikachupacabra spellbound's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Eastern Sierra
    Posts
    1,153
    Quote Originally Posted by Lopez
    I haven't seen them on six-packs. Most of the local breweries who can sell their product as four-packs of 16-oz cans and they use that carrier contraption.
    I have seen the four-packs of 16-oz cans from local breweries here. My frustration with the packaging likely stems from the inverse relationship between 'thirst' and 'patience and coordination.'
    Can this be the swan song? The final elbow?

  21. #2196
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Kalamazoo Michigan
    Posts
    3,319
    Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    https://thehardtimes.net/culture/man...DWlTWtRRHVAJOQ

    "Man Pretends to Thoughtfully Peruse Beer List Before Picking Based on Alcohol Content"

    You know you've done it.

    I do like the Old Nation's M-43 a lot though I'll still stick to Trillium & Tree House as my go to's.
    Unfortunately I have not had either of those. Not available in my neck of the woods.

  22. #2197
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Kalamazoo Michigan
    Posts
    3,319
    Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Maine Lunch is probably my favorite NEIPA.
    Only had that once at a beer festival and agree it is very good.

  23. #2198
    I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    5,091
    Their Dinner is better.
    Ian

    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

  24. #2199
    Member moecurlythanu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Crimea River
    Posts
    5,839
    Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Their Dinner is better.
    I didn't think so.

  25. #2200
    Member Since: 3/27/2002 MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    The Kingdom of YHVH
    Posts
    2,208
    Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    Mexican beers are wonderful summertime thirst quenchers. I have heard that some contain adjuncts, but many are still made in the style taught by German and Austrian master brewers in the 19th century. Dos Equis Amber and Negra Modelo are not-so-heavy dark beers made in the Viennese style. Lighter beers are made in the German or Bohemian (Czech Pilsner) style. The best Mexican beer I had was 40 years ago, a brand called Superior. At the time, they made a great thirst quenching lager in a green bottle. A pitcher of that with a plate of Mexican food was heaven. Later, Superior exported an inferior beer in a brown bottle. Then it disappeared completely north of the border, though it may still be made in Mexico. My favorites among currently available Mexican lagers in no particular order are Bohemia, Pacifico, Negra Modelo, Sol, Carta Blanca, Estrella, Modelo Especial, Dos Equis, and Victoria. I haven't had a Tecate in years and can't recall the flavor. Corona, I never particularly cared for. Other Mexican beers I have not tried.



    The photo of the beers works, but the text on the paper is mostly illegible. It appears you were taste testing milk stouts, and one of the ones you ranked highest is Great Basin's Outlaw Milk Stout, a local stout in these parts of the Eastern Sierra, readily available on tap or in bottles. Would be interested to read your rankings, if you care to type them. 'Outlaw' used to be sold as an oatmeal stout. In recent years brewers have been labeling stouts that contain milk as milk stouts, probably because many people are either allergic to, or otherwise cannot tolerate milk.

    "Homer no well function beer without."
    yes, that was the winner of this preliminary round. It was the unanimous winner of the contest since both my wife and I had it in 1st, though the Milk Mustachio from Albuquerque was a unanimous, close 2nd place

    the following is a description of the Double-Blind Beer Evaluation process:
    1. Get perfectly clean pint glasses that are all the same or very similar to the touch
    2. Line up the beers next to the pint glasses
    3. With a sharpie, write the initials of the name of each beer on the bottom of the pint glass it will be poured into
    4. Open the beers
    5. With my wife out of the room, pour them slowly into the pint glass with their initials and take the bottles/cans away
    6. Leave the room and have my wife switch the pint glasses around
    7. Write the pint positions on a piece of paper (L, LC, C, RC, R)
    8. Begin with one of us blindfolded, just analyzing and describing the aroma
    9. After the aroma round, do the first tasting round then switch places and repeat 8 & 9
    10. Switch places and repeat 9 for each taster but instead of describing the beers, just give them a rating from 1-10. We call this the lightning round.
    11. Analyze all the comments and numbers and determine 1st, 2nd and 3rd place and write the names of the winners in their places on the notepad.

    see if you can read them now
    MILK-SWEET STOUT EVAL notes.jpg
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •