Thread: The New Prog Beer Snob Thread

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Those poor sensitive Carolinians
    Not a fan of Sycamore, but those cans are rather special, aren’t they?
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Can this be the swan song? The final elbow?

Guess what I won't be drinking any more of...not that I was that big of a fan of their styles anyways.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Yeah, I wasn't much of a fan, but it's a little sad nonetheless. Having said that, I do understand it.
    "If you want to see the true nature of humanity, just look at the internet."

http://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Yeah, not particularly a fan.
    Ian

I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I like some of their beers just fine for what they are, but their versions of classic styles were never on a par with the "real thing" IMO. Around here they've been as ubiquitous as Sam Adams for over a decade, though, so I suppose it was inevitable that a mega would eventually make them an offer they couldn't refuse.
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

their flagship Fat Tire is a decent Amber Ale but not "great" by any means. The Ranger IPA is ok, but in general they never made anything that caused a "wow" from this house
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    their flagship Fat Tire is a decent Amber Ale but not "great" by any means. The Ranger IPA is ok, but in general they never made anything that caused a "wow" from this house
    The Asheville NB taproom has some pretty good beers. I would not jump to conclusions that they are going down. Not clear to me that buy outs of larger craft makers have made a big difference. I think the intellectual property of some are being used in some mainstream breweries like Budweiser. Lagunitas has not changed much since InBev bought them.
    Art is parasitic on life, just as criticism is parasitic on art.
    Harry S Truman

This is available now:

The Cherry Pie stout is an awesome sour cherry plus dark malt taste[emoji41]
    Harry S Truman

BTW that selection is at Lureís Bar and Grill near Annapolis, MD.
    Harry S Truman

I'm curious - anyone else getting tired of the hazy-IPA craze? I think it's okay once in a while, mostly as a summer quencher, but I find myself avoiding it more often than not. Give me a crisp Two-Hearted any day of the week!
    David

Quote Originally Posted by proggy_jazzer View Post
    I'm curious - anyone else getting tired of the hazy-IPA craze? I think it's okay once in a while, mostly as a summer quencher, but I find myself avoiding it more often than not. Give me a crisp Two-Hearted any day of the week!
    Hey Bud That Hazy DIPA was so dank. The Two roads Two Juicy is like you say a refresher. Hey Bud Hazy has the hop intensity. Two Juicy is too refreshing cause at 8.2 ABV, you could easily pound it down and get smashed.
    Harry S Truman

Don't get me wrong - I've had some I really like. But around these parts anyway it seems that taps are getting taken up by Hazies almost to the exclusion of regular IPAs. I'm just over it.
    David

I'm seeing hazy and sours making a push on the taps. Like all trends, this too will fade.

We're going out of town tomorrow. I hope to secure some Hopslam but it's a long shot.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I'm seeing hazy and sours making a push on the taps. Like all trends, this too will fade.

We're going out of town tomorrow. I hope to secure some Hopslam but it's a long shot.
    Sours have gone mainstream and I donít like them in general. Bruery Cherry Pie Stout works for me as an occasional delight.
    Harry S Truman

Sours are not my cuppa, either. On the bright side, Hopslam has started to appear in the area, and if this year is like last, it will be plentiful!
    David

Sours and goses are styles that date back hundreds of years. Probably not a trend. They, like IPAs 20 years ago (30 years ago?), have entered the mainstream. They are unlikely to disappear, even if their recent popularity is “trendy.” I absolutely get why folks don’t like them.

I can’t speak to hazy IPAs. But it seems unlikely, given their popularity, that they’ll disappear.

The more the merrier. I’m as happy to explore all these styles and twists as I am to drink my favorite styles.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Um, no. Not in the slightest. I'm enjoying the fact that some of the locals are brewing NE IPAs that can compete with the originals.

I hope to secure some Hopslam but it's a long shot.
    They had shitloads of it in Chicago on Tuesday. I used to buy a case every year, but dropped it around 5 or 6 years ago. It's pretty much off my radar now, but I'd probably buy it on draft.

Quote Originally Posted by proggy_jazzer
    I'm over the Hazies.

I still like a good NEIPA. Bell's is coming out with a Double NEIPA in April this year

Give me a crisp Two-Hearted any day of the week!
    Two Hearted is so far above any other IPA I've ever tasted... truly next level
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

I remember years ago when I had a Two Hearted on draft in Dayton OH and how good it was. However, it never held up in bottles that I could purchase in MD. My go to IPA is Heavy Seas Loose Canyon. Hugh Sisson in Baltimore was brewing craft ales before the West Coast hop fest ever took off. Heavy Seas Loose Canyon’s use of dry hopping is excellent. HS bottling uses the best German equipment to eliminate contamination of oxidation at the lip. Loose Canyon at the brewery is an incredible hop feast because of dry hopping, appropriate malt profile, a fusion of west and east hop/malt, and great freshness. The bottles and bar tapped experience isn’t quite as good, but it holds up well.
    Harry S Truman

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I still like a good NEIPA. Bell's is coming out with a Double NEIPA in April this year
    I'll watch for it! Bell's usually gets it right.
    David