Page 8 of 131 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121858108 ... LastLast

Thread: The New Prog Beer Snob Thread

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    That looks real nice
    I was dubious about the hop infused aspect of it, but it's very smooth and piney and one of my favorites now when I'm in the mood for such things.

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    After work today, I'm going to the tasting room at Night Shift in Everett, Mass., near where I live. They have a pale ale called Whirlpool that is every bit as good as Heady Topper. At half the alcoholic content as Heady Topper some may say Whirlpool's half the fun; I say I can enjoy it twice as much.

The issue I have with beers under 6.5% is that I tend to find them too watery. I can no longer drink until drunk due to a recent diagnosis of type II diabetes (which I control without meds). As a result, I allow myself 2 pints only, 3 to 4 days a week only. If I'm having only 2, they better be the best damn 2 I can have! This is why I gravitate towards stronger IPAs, Imperial Stouts, Double Porters....
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

My Porter is brewed and sitting in the primary bubbling away. After a week when it slows down and effectively stops I will transfer it to a secondary for another week so it can settle a bit more before bottling. I figure 2 weeks in the bottle should make it ready for the first sips, so I'm a month away. I haven't brewed anything in about 10 years so I'm excited to see how it comes out.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    My Porter is brewed and sitting in the primary bubbling away. After a week when it slows down and effectively stops I will transfer it to a secondary for another week so it can settle a bit more before bottling. I figure 2 weeks in the bottle should make it ready for the first sips, so I'm a month away. I haven't brewed anything in about 10 years so I'm excited to see how it comes out.
    Let us know!
    My wife and I brewed a Milk Stout to give to the guests at our wedding last year. It was pretty tasty.

11058405_10102885338240999_128751934277047420_n.jpg

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I rarely get any UK imports now, but these are the faves I can recall, mostly from the early 90s, in no order:

Theakston's Old Peculier
    Young's Oatmeal Stout
    Shepherd's Neame Bishop's Finger
    Samuel Smith Anniversary Ale
    Whitbread Ale
    Mackeson's Stout
    Harviestoun Old Engine Oil
    Fuller's ESB
    Young's Old Nick
    Big fan of the Youngs Oatmeal Stout & Bishops finger.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Interesting…..I was thinking of starting a thread like this earlier today. The three most obvious that come to my mind are:

Queen: “Innuendo” – The album was written and recorded when Freddie was dying and he knew it. With the exception of the song “Delilah” (about Freddie’s cat) I think it is a pretty amazing album. The song “The Show Must Go On” pretty much sums up Freddie’s attitude and everything that he lived and performed for. It still makes the hairs on my arms rise up when I listen to it, and was the perfect ending to the album. “These Are the Days of Our Lives” is another one that is a swan song from Freddie. It is an amazing song under the circumstances.

Queen: ‘The Miracle” - This one was written and recorded earlier in Freddie’s illness and there still seems to be a ray of hope around some of the songs, especially the title track. The song “Scandal” was written about all the rumors in the press at the time about Freddie being sick and I always interpreted “Was It All Worth It” as a reflection by Freddie on his life.

Warren Zevon: “The Wind” – Zevon knew he had a brief time to write and record this album before he was going to die. It is a moving portrait of a man at the end of his life.
    Those all sound like great beers!

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Those all sound like great beers!
    Yea.....I think I posted it after having a few too many of those great beers..........

Suspended
    I'm stunned. A beer thread on a progressive music forum... eight pages in... and unless I missed it in my search, no mention yet of Opeth beer.

This is what I think of when I think "Opeth beer".

232950d55583de694fca4dce929ca1c9_320x320.jpg
    <sig out of order>

Opeth beer was either mentioned previously in this thread or possibly had it's own thread. I recall people tries to order it and it was sold out or they wouldn't ship it to most countries....

I need to go on a beer run over the weekend. My beer fridge has too much empty space in it. Since I don't own a car, a beer run is a bit of an adventure. I use a folding shopping cart and make my way to my favorite vendor by public transit. I'll buy as much as I can lift in the cart since I will need to go up and down some stairs. I'll spend around 100.00, which doesn't buy you all that much quality beer. Once I'm at the store though, it's like a kid in a candy store. They say that the difference between a boy and a man is the price of his toys. I'd add that it's also the price of his treats!

The closest to my home is a place called "Fromagerie Atwater", located in the Atwater Market in the southwest part of Montreal. See below:

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    No wonder everything was beautiful and nothing hurt.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    Opeth beer was either mentioned previously in this thread or possibly had it's own thread. I recall people tries to order it and it was sold out or they wouldn't ship it to most countries....

I need to go on a beer run over the weekend. My beer fridge has too much empty space in it. Since I don't own a car, a beer run is a bit of an adventure. I use a folding shopping cart and make my way to my favorite vendor by public transit. I'll buy as much as I can lift in the cart since I will need to go up and down some stairs. I'll spend around 100.00, which doesn't buy you all that much quality beer. Once I'm at the store though, it's like a kid in a candy store. They say that the difference between a boy and a man is the price of his toys. I'd add that it's also the price of his treats!

The closest to my home is a place called "Fromagerie Atwater", located in the Atwater Market in the southwest part of Montreal. See below:

Fromagerie - LOL!!

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post

The closest to my home is a place called "Fromagerie Atwater", located in the Atwater Market in the southwest part of Montreal.
    Why not go to the SAQ on Ste-Catherine and pick yourself up a nice $5,000 bottle of wine instead?
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Fromagerie - LOL!!
    I dunno, it seems like a wonderful place. http://www.fromagerieatwater.ca/en/ I'll bet it's top dollar, though.

yeti.jpg

Great Divide Yeti Imperial Stout
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Great Divide Yeti Imperial Stout
    Great divide brews some tasty stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    I dunno, it seems like a wonderful place. http://www.fromagerieatwater.ca/en/ I'll bet it's top dollar, though.
    It is a fantastic place. As the name implies, they deal primarily in chesses, but there's produce, a deli counter, and the great beer nook. All of Atwater Market is worth exploring for any tourist coming to Montreal and wanting to go to a place where the locals shop. Yes, it can be a little pricey but their beer prices are competitive with others places that specialize in Quebec micro brews. There is a second cheese place in the market so they have to stay competitive with their prices.

I picked up just over 100.00 worth of beer on Saturday. Enough to fill out my beer fridge.

I have a bottle of this that has been sitting in a cupboard since 2008, apparently its worth about $85, should I drink it?
    Ian

Well everything I've consumed in the last few weeks are things not available unless you visit the little place yourself. My favourites:

a) Beyond The Pale (Ottawa): Super Rye Guy Double IPA.....The bitterness just barely overpowers the citrus a bit too much but still good.
    b) Strathroy Brewing Company (Strathroy): Double IPA...It's not even an IPA in my world, but it is an extremely sessionable ale.
    c) Refined Fool (Sarnia): Rye Saisson...balanced perfectly.
    "The woods would be very silent if the only birds that sang were those who sang best..." - Henry David Thoreau

Currently drinking a Two Road / Evil Twin Gose, very nice
    Ian

I have a bottle of this that has been sitting in a cupboard since 2008, apparently its worth about $85, should I drink it?
    Ian,

That's a beer that can age well for a few decades. So no need to hurry a decision. Hopefully it's been kept at a cellar temp (55 or lower).

I've got a bottle of Thomas Hardy as well and yeah, it's always been kept cool if not cold.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Tonight I've been working on my standby Fathead's Head Hunter IPA, Seventh Son Irene's Revenge Strong Ale, Mad Tree PsycHOPathy IPA, and Seventh Son American Strong Ale

This weekend it's been Baxter's Stowaway IPA.

http://www.baxterbrewing.com/beers/stowaway-ipa-2/
    <sig out of order>