Page 83 of 131 FirstFirst ... 337379808182838485868793 ... LastLast
Results 2,051 to 2,075 of 3255

Thread: The New Prog Beer Snob Thread

The Easter beer on the deck is Lagunitas The Waldos' Special Ale. I look forward to this beer every year.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    They sell Lagunitas beers around here, but I have never seen or heard of The Waldo's Special Ale.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    They sell Lagunitas beers around here, but I have never seen or heard of The Waldo's Special Ale.
    Waldos' is released around this time every year. It is very limited so it goes quickly. The store I go to got a case. Someone got 2 6-pks, I got the last 2.

Thanks. I'll see if I can find some.
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    Today, I had a local Key Lime Pilsner (from New Bohemia) today: quite good. I also picked up an honest-to-goodness brown ale from a local that wasn't just a Newcastle clone. Double-bonus for the fact that the local that made it (Discretion Brewery) usually brew too bitter for me. It is, however, really quite good. If they made it in regular rotation, I would have more reason to darken their door.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

Banned
    Love a good hoppy red ale. And their IPA was nicely balanced. The Double Oat Stout was superb.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Banned
    BTW, they had very good snacks and sandwiches, a difference from the totalitarian nature of breweries in Maryland which can’t serve food.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    the totalitarian nature of breweries in Maryland which can’t serve food.
    Wow! I thought Massachusetts was tough with their restrictive growler-filling (only where you got the growler in the first place), spent-grain (can't sell or donate it to farms anymore unless it's analyzed, weighed, and packaged in small bags), and alcohol mail-order (only if it's made in-state) laws. Here you can have food delivered in to tasting rooms. Most breweries that don't sell food themselves often have food trucks parked outside.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Mammoth Brewery buys Great Basin Brewery:

Great Basin Brewing of Reno-Sparks to be sold

Quote Originally Posted by philsunset View Post
    The Easter beer on the deck is Lagunitas The Waldos' Special Ale. I look forward to this beer every year.
    Thanks for the heads-up about this. I was fast enough to get some. Having one now. Mmmmmm!

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    Thanks for the heads-up about this. I was fast enough to get some. Having one now. Mmmmmm!
    Awesome! It's my favorite beer from Lagunitas.

Having a Tart Strawberry M-43 from Old Nation.Very good!

I'm having a citradelic tangerine ipa - not bad at all !

https://www.newbelgium.com/beer/citradelic/

On this rainy day having a 09/22/16 World Wide Stout. Delish!!

One of my locals has a very good brown ale going at the moment. This is a style I love, but few turn their hands towards. This is a good one, and manages not to be a Newcastle clone.

Quote Originally Posted by notallwhowander View Post
    One of my locals has a very good brown ale going at the moment. This is a style I love, but few turn their hands towards. This is a good one, and manages not to be a Newcastle clone.
    Newcastle, like Guinness, is not a very good representation of their respective styles... at least not what they sell in bottles. Most Nut Browns are better than Newcastle as most Stouts are better than Guinness
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

I like Bell's Brown Ale. I've got a poster for it hanging in my man cave/office/Fortress of Solitude that says: Reminds you of that dark little British pub that you've never been to. Any way, it's a great session beer.

My cousin brought me a couple beers from a town across the ND/MT border that his wife has been teaching in. It turned out to be pretty good, especially considering they're based in a town of 6000 people where Bud Light is more reliable than the water. I had the unfiltered Badlands EPA/IPA hybrid.

https://meadowlarkbrewing.com/#
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Thanks to a tip here, I picked up a 6 of Lagunitas Waldo's Special Ale. Wouldn't have hardly noticed it otherwise. Also grabbed a 4-pk of Sierra Nevada Hop Bullet DIPA.

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    Newcastle, like Guinness, is not a very good representation of their respective styles... at least not what they sell in bottles. Most Nut Browns are better than Newcastle as most Stouts are better than Guinness
    I haven't seen a lot of nut browns out there to make much of a comparison. It seems to me a terribly under represented style. I've tasted clones, over-hopped, and burnt malt variants of the style, so I was very pleased to get hold of something that avoided all of these traps. Perhaps what is available by you is different. We don't get Bells out here, and Founders made it out about four or so years ago, though I still have yet to see a Double-Harted Ale, for all the praise it garners here.

For Cinco de Mayo, I'm having Founders Mas Agave. This is an Imperial Gose brewed with agave, lime and salt, then aged in tequila barrels. It's like a margarita in a bottle.
    Last edited by philsunset; 05-05-2019 at 01:30 PM.

Closest I could come is a Racer Cinco IPA from Bear Republic.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I like Bell's Brown Ale. I've got a poster for it hanging in my man cave/office/Fortress of Solitude that says: Reminds you of that dark little British pub that you've never been to. Any way, it's a great session beer.

https://meadowlarkbrewing.com/#
    Best Brown is a solid brew for sure. They only make it in the fall / winter, but it is one of the better ones out there.

One of the most hyped beers this year

Blåbær Lambik (Blueberry Lambic) (2019)
    https://untappd.com/b/brasserie-cant...c-2019/3110375

Here is a danish article about a beer collector Eric Linder who travelled here from Colorado and waited on the street in 25 hours in cold rainy weather to taste it with friends - and buy a bottle. "He would rather die than miss it"
    https://www.dr.dk/mad/artikel/har-re...aa-glip-af-det

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    One of the most hyped beers this year

Blåbær Lambik (Blueberry Lambic) (2019)
    https://untappd.com/b/brasserie-cant...c-2019/3110375
    Don't know about Blabaer Lambik, but years ago I tried Sam Adams Cranberry Lambic. One of the worst beers I've ever had. Just awful.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

I just had one of these sour Verhaeghe Duchesse De Bourgogne

https://www.ratebeer.com/beer/verhae...ourgogne/6945/

Had to clean the throat with this immidiately after

https://www.ratebeer.com/beer/la-car...tradamus/7176/

And some biggish news--Boston Beer and Dogfish Head in a 300 gazillion dollar merger.