Page 81 of 131 FirstFirst ... 317177787980818283848591 ... LastLast
Results 2,001 to 2,025 of 3255

Thread: The New Prog Beer Snob Thread

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I've had Carlsberg in Denmark and it was a true lager but I'm willing to bet it becomes a lesser brew when not brewed in its native land.
    It's very average in England.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I've had Carlsberg in Denmark and it was a true lager but I'm willing to bet it becomes a lesser brew when not brewed in its native land.
    Back in the 70s we used to buy Elephant because it would get you a good buzz with only the first one!
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    Back in the 70s we used to buy Elephant because it would get you a good buzz with only the first one!
    LOL, us too in the early 80s! That's malt liquor, so higher alcohol. I overdid it once and paid the price, and that was my last elephant!

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    I guess typically Scottish ales are malty and dark brown in color, but there's some variation around that basic description. Probably the least interesting Scottish ale is Bellhaven, which is much lighter and hoppier than other Scottish ales I've tried. Honestly, I was largely unimpressed with the Scottish ales we had while visiting Scotland, but that doesn't mean there weren't good ales to be had - they just weren't described as "Scottish ales." And they didn't fit that general description.

To me, the best Scottish ale is McEwan's, which was discontinued for a time, but is now being made again. I found it at a local store, and it's just as good as I remember. But it's not to be had in Scotland, at least not that we found.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/188/1275/

Bill
    McEwan's, to me, is a great example of "Scotch Ale." Belhaven is okay--it's a brown ale, made in Scotland, but I wouldn't call it a "Scotch Ale." It's a Scottish Brown ale. Around here it comes in cans with the Nitro Pour gadget, making for a creamy head and much less carbonation. Maybe I'm being persnickety.....also, I don't know how many know this, but Scotch Ales are "style" in Belgium, actually! Those Belgian "Scotch Ales" are very much like McEwans, at least of the few I've tried.
    "And this is the chorus.....or perhaps it's a bridge...."

IMO as a native dane, Carlsberg is ok but pretty ordinary. Urquell on the other hand...

Fake video - because its a Heineken !

Coconut added to beer? Nope! Then again, I don't like anything added. No coffee, no fruit, etc. Just hops, barley, water, yeast, and the necessary preservatives.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Coconut added to beer? Nope! Then again, I don't like anything added. No coffee, no fruit, etc. Just hops, barley, water, yeast, and the necessary preservatives.
    Then there is only some German beers, and a few other brands to inhale, those still brewed after Reinheitsgebot: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reinheitsgebot

Stocked for spring - gimme some baseball!

https://wordpress.com/post/jeroljohn...press.com/9819
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

no need to get the others. There was a big gap between the top 3 and those 2

I envy you being in the middle of one of the best brewing areas of the world
    I do live in beer Nirvana

Speaking of Arcaida. They are in financial trouble right now and are deep in debt. Rumor has it that they are looking for another company to merge with. Their brewery is really nice with a great outdoor beer garden right on the Kalamazoo river. I hope they are able to save themselves. Arcadia is the #2 beer producer in town, but have always had to exist in he shadow of Bells. Plus I have heard that the management has made some bad decisions with some things over the years. Paw Paw Brewing on the other hand has just undergone a major expansion and is looking very healthy.

Here is an article about the Arcadia situation if interested: https://www.woodtv.com/news/kalamazo...ure/1641554943

Here is an article about the Paw Paw expansion. They started out with a really really small little facility: https://www.mlive.com/beer/2015/09/p...g_new_pub.html

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    I like coconut, and I like beer, but I never even considered mixing the two together. Closest I ever came was having a cold beer alongside some hot Thai curry. It's getting difficult to find real beer among all the flavored varieties in the stores/pubs. I don't mind if they want to make flavored beer, but keep it in a separate section so as not to waste the time of real beer drinkers. I tried a few flavored stouts over the winter, but now that spring is coming, I'm done with that nonsense. Bring on the real beer.

And baseball.

The last time we visited Arcadia, it was in Battle Creek. Great beer, great brewpub, great wood fired pizzas, among other culinary delights. Josh, the brewmaster at the time, has since moved on to a brewery in State College, PA.

Arcadia is an amazing brewery. One of the very few where I can say that I have liked every style I have tried from them.
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenears View Post
    McEwan's, to me, is a great example of "Scotch Ale." Belhaven is okay--it's a brown ale, made in Scotland, but I wouldn't call it a "Scotch Ale." It's a Scottish Brown ale. Around here it comes in cans with the Nitro Pour gadget, making for a creamy head and much less carbonation. Maybe I'm being persnickety.....also, I don't know how many know this, but Scotch Ales are "style" in Belgium, actually! Those Belgian "Scotch Ales" are very much like McEwans, at least of the few I've tried.
    Interesting. I didn't try any Scotch Ales when in Belgium. But it doesn't surprise me a bit. McEwan's is definitely very Belgian-ale like, so I can see them taking to certain types of Scottish Ales.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    IMO as a native dane, Carlsberg is ok but pretty ordinary. Urquell on the other hand...
    Hard to to Urquell for a pils, we get it frequently and love it! I guess I'd try Carlsberg if/when in Denmark, but my guess is they have far better beers, ever in the lager/pils category.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    The last time we visited Arcadia, it was in Battle Creek. Great beer, great brewpub, great wood fired pizzas, among other culinary delights. Josh, the brewmaster at the time, has since moved on to a brewery in State College, PA.
    The original brewery was in Battle Creek, but they built a new facility in Kalamazoo and closed the Battle Creek location a few years ago. Their pizzas were really good at the Battle Creek location. The Kalamazoo facility features BBQ instead of pizza.

Arcadia is an amazing brewery. One of the very few where I can say that I have liked every style I have tried from them.
    I find their stuff to be hit and miss. I really like some of their beers, but others I find rather average. They are not at the level of Bell's, here in town, in my opinion, but they do make a lot of good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    Interesting. I didn't try any Scotch Ales when in Belgium. But it doesn't surprise me a bit. McEwan's is definitely very Belgian-ale like, so I can see them taking to certain types of Scottish Ales.

Hard to to Urquell for a pils, we get it frequently and love it! I guess I'd try Carlsberg if/when in Denmark, but my guess is they have far better beers, ever in the lager/pils category.

Bill
    Technically Urquell is a pilsner. https://www.pilsnerurquell.com/

My favorite danish pilsner/lager is this: https://thisted-bryghus.dk/en/produc...o-thy-pilsner/
    best on kegs.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    20190324_112547.jpg

Woodruff Nut Brown Ale in Knoxville for Big Ears.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Ian fell over?...
    Last edited by philsunset; 03-24-2019 at 06:54 PM.

I dropped a twenty on a six of Dogfish Head Bitches Brew Stout. Won't sample til next weekend, but it sounds like it should be good. For that price, it better be.

wow, it comes in 6ers now?

I've still got a couple of bombers from the 2nd year it was brewed

Got a Drake's (San Leandro, SF Bay Area, California) Hopocalypse Double IPA in the fridge for whenever thirst strikes.

Another great name for a beer:

Bob Rastafar IPA

to be released 4/20/19

From clues on Facebook, the next Dragon's Milk Reserve will be Triple-Mashed. An awesome brew.

Had draft Stone IPA (Escondido, CA) because it's always good, and draft Lead Dog Citra Solo IPA (Reno, NV) because I wanted to try the single-hop IPA. Both were excellent.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

I had one of these yesterday, highly recommended. My wife liked it too.

whisky infused belgian beer
    https://www.ratebeer.com/beer/het-an...nfused/507240/