Page 80 of 131 FirstFirst ... 307076777879808182838490130 ... LastLast
Results 1,976 to 2,000 of 3255

Thread: The New Prog Beer Snob Thread

Had a Milk Stout Nitro (from Left Hand Brewing Co. of Longmont, Colorado) with lunch today. Mighty good. Very much like a Guinness stout. I was reading the can, which is a tall one, and then noticed that the volume was 13.65 ounces, not 16 like the tallness of the can might suggest. Those little cheaters.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Quote Originally Posted by philsunset View Post
    KBS is here..
    Like Hopslam, they make so much of it now that it is not as big a deal as it used to be, but I am sure I will pick some up at some point.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    First world problems, too much KBS and Hopslam
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Wish I only had such problems...

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    First world problems, too much KBS and Hopslam

I'm glad they make so much of it now. I didn't enjoy those days of finding only a couple bottles

Banned
    I really enjoyed a bottle of Skull Splitter over the weekend - 8.5% Scottish (Orkney) Ale. Sweet malt, fruity, with a prevalent alcohol bite. I really liked it, perhaps more than MacEwan's. Any recommendations for a good (readily available) Scottish Ale?

I also had the Sam Smith's Winter Welcome Ale which is IMO superb.

I am a fan of Scotch Ales/Scottish Ales.
    Kilt Lifter is a good one, I think.

I like IPA's, don't get me wrong, but as I get older, I find myself liking malt and a more "balanced" flavor profile. I've always been a lover of stouts, porters, and especially the lamentably-disappearing English Mild style of brown ale. Scotch Ales are more "malt-forward," though they can get a bit treacly if done wrong. I drink much less, post DVT and lifetime Rx of Eliquis, so I make the brews count!
    "And this is the chorus.....or perhaps it's a bridge...."

my wife and I did a double-blind evaluation of Coconut Porters from all over last night. There was a desert style one that was clearly different from the pack. It is called Porter Rico by Arcadia Ales, Michigan. Head and shoulders the richest but definitely one is enough.

Two others tied for first place
    Maui Coconut Porter, Hawaii
    Paw Paw Coconut Porter, Michigan

the 2 that came in 4th and 5th are
    Black Raven, Washington
    Brewsters, Calgary Canada
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by wideopenears View Post
    I am a fan of Scotch Ales/Scottish Ales.
    Kilt Lifter is a good one, I think.

I like IPA's, don't get me wrong, but as I get older, I find myself liking malt and a more "balanced" flavor profile. I've always been a lover of stouts, porters, and especially the lamentably-disappearing English Mild style of brown ale. Scotch Ales are more "malt-forward," though they can get a bit treacly if done wrong. I drink much less, post DVT and lifetime Rx of Eliquis, so I make the brews count!
    Yes and as I've ranted before, it seems hard to find a nice malty or balanced beer among all the latest grapefruit/pumpkin/anus flavored, dry-hopped, double-hopped, 90-minute whatevers. I do love a good brown ale or bitter but I agree they are increasingly hard to find. To me this a sort of fad. I used to homebrew and the easiest thing to do is throw a bunch of hops in to dominate the flavor, pretend you're skilled and produce something akin the the typical brew-pub IPA. Also as I have stated before, adding hops is a very recent innovation and were not part of brewing for probably 95% or more of beer history.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    I like Scottish Ales, but they aren't seen frequently around here. I try 'em when I see 'em. I've enjoyed the above-mentioned MacEwan's, Four Peaks' Kilt Lifter, and Founders' Dirty Bastard, and seem to recall a good one I haven't seen in years called Belhaven.

Couple good brown ales, if you can find them, are Indian Wells Brown Ale (Inyokern, CA), which for some reason I can buy but can't find on the brewery's website, and Mammoth Brewery's (Mammoth Lakes, CA) Double Nut Brown. They used to sell it as Double Nut Brown Ale, but now they sell it unchanged as Double Nut Brown Porter. To me, it's a brown ale and not a porter. Porter is much darker.

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    I like Scottish Ales, but they aren't seen frequently around here. I try 'em when I see 'em. I've enjoyed the above-mentioned MacEwan's, Four Peaks' Kilt Lifter, and Founders' Dirty Bastard, and seem to recall a good one I haven't seen in years called Belhaven.

Couple good brown ales, if you can find them, are Indian Wells Brown Ale (Inyokern, CA), which for some reason I can buy but can't find on the brewery's website, and Mammoth Brewery's (Mammoth Lakes, CA) Double Nut Brown. They used to sell it as Double Nut Brown Ale, but now they sell it unchanged as Double Nut Brown Porter. To me, it's a brown ale and not a porter. Porter is much darker.
    I like the Kilt Lifter & Dirty Bastard, I'd also recommend Boulevard - Snow & Tell and Yeehaw - Velvet Charmer. It's a good style of beer.

If you can find a Sam Smiths Brown Ale from Yorkshire in England try that, one of my favorites.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Just to be clear, Scotch Ales are not just "brown ales." They are a variety of Brown Ale, I think, characterized by higher alcohol and residual sugar content, in general.
    In Scotland, as I understand it, until recentl times you would not traditionally order a "make" of ale, but a style--"Gimme a half pint o' wee heavy, Ian" for instance. But I have not yet been to Scotland, so someone, please correct me.
    "And this is the chorus.....or perhaps it's a bridge...."

Just to be clear, Scotch Ales are not just "brown ales." They are a variety of Brown Ale, I think, characterized by higher alcohol and residual sugar content, in general.
    In Scotland, as I understand it, until recentl times you would not traditionally order a "make" of ale, but a style--"Gimme a half pint o' wee heavy, Ian" for instance. But I have not yet been to Scotland, so someone, please correct me.
    I guess typically Scottish ales are malty and dark brown in color, but there's some variation around that basic description. Probably the least interesting Scottish ale is Bellhaven, which is much lighter and hoppier than other Scottish ales I've tried. Honestly, I was largely unimpressed with the Scottish ales we had while visiting Scotland, but that doesn't mean there weren't good ales to be had - they just weren't described as "Scottish ales." And they didn't fit that general description.

To me, the best Scottish ale is McEwan's, which was discontinued for a time, but is now being made again. I found it at a local store, and it's just as good as I remember. But it's not to be had in Scotland, at least not that we found.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/188/1275/

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Buddhabreath View Post
    I used to homebrew and the easiest thing to do is throw a bunch of hops in to dominate the flavor, pretend you're skilled and produce something akin the the typical brew-pub IPA.
    Utterly laughable.

From my experience it's the same in Scotland as in England where the only place you'd order by type is in a Tied House, these are pubs that are owned by a particular brewery and therefore mainly stocked that brewers beer. Then you'd order an Stout & it would be the only one there. They used to be very common in England but have become less so as variety has become more important to customers. The alternative pubs not 'tied' to a brewer are known as free houses. When I'm back in England I often drink in a tied house that only stocks Sam Smiths ales.
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    my wife and I did a double-blind evaluation of Coconut Porters from all over last night. There was a desert style one that was clearly different from the pack. It is called Porter Rico by Arcadia Ales, Michigan. Head and shoulders the richest but definitely one is enough.

Two others tied for first place
    Maui Coconut Porter, Hawaii
    Paw Paw Coconut Porter, Michigan

the 2 that came in 4th and 5th are
    Black Raven, Washington
    Brewsters, Calgary Canada
    Arcadia Porter Rico is made here in my hometown of Kalamazoo MI. I agree with your take on it. It is good in a unique way, but one is usually enough. I have had it at the brewery a few times and I think it is better fresh than in the bottle. Paw Paw Brewing is about 15 minutes down the highway from me and I have been there many times. Their Coconut Porter is quite good and available at many bars in my area. It is another one that is better fresh on tap, but the bottle version is also good. I have also had the Maui Coconut Porter when we visited the brewery in Hawaii last year. Also quite good. The others I have not had.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Arcadia Porter Rico is made here in my hometown of Kalamazoo MI. I agree with your take on it. It is good in a unique way, but one is usually enough. I have had it at the brewery a few times and I think it is better fresh than in the bottle. Paw Paw Brewing is about 15 minutes down the highway from me and I have been there many times. Their Coconut Porter is quite good and available at many bars in my area. It is another one that is better fresh on tap, but the bottle version is also good. I have also had the Maui Coconut Porter when we visited the brewery in Hawaii last year. Also quite good. The others I have not had.
    no need to get the others. There was a big gap between the top 3 and those 2

I envy you being in the middle of one of the best brewing areas of the world
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Advertisment for a plain lager

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    If you can find a Sam Smiths Brown Ale from Yorkshire in England try that, one of my favorites.
    One of mine, too. Recently, I home-brewed a clone recipe of Sam Smiths Brown Ale. Turned out OK. Not quite like the original, but good enough.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Utterly laughable.
    Why? Have you home brewed using fresh hops (not pellets) and dry hopped etc? You may be surprised how easy it is to brew a top-drawer quality beer if you haven't tried.

BTW Belhaven is available in my parts and it's quite nice - and yes, Sam Smiths Brown Ale is excellent also one of my faves. Nog, one day I'd like to drop by your place spin some MGP and down some SSBA...
    Last edited by Buddhabreath; 03-19-2019 at 09:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Buddhabreath View Post
    Why? Have you home brewed using fresh hops (not pellets) and dry hopped etc? You may be surprised how easy it is to brew a top-drawer quality beer if you haven't tried.
    I don't brew myself, but I belong to the S.N.O.B.s Home Brewing club, and have attended many events. I've never had an IPA at one of those events that is anywhere near a professional brewery's IPAs, much less one like the award winners we have around here. If it was that easy, everyone would be doing it.

The styles that have been in the ballpark with professional breweries have been more likely to be Stouts or Porters.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I don't brew myself, but I belong to the S.N.O.B.s Home Brewing club, and have attended many events. I've never had an IPA at one of those events that is anywhere near a professional brewery's IPAs, much less one like the award winners we have around here. If it was that easy, everyone would be doing it.

The styles that have been in the ballpark with professional breweries have been more likely to be Stouts or Porters.
    OK, well we have different experiences. If anything, decent hopped ales are easier to make than a good stout and harder still is to produce a really good lager. I've had several home brewed IPA/heavily hopped brews that are easily in the same league with nationally distributed IPAs IMO. Clearly YMMV.

I've had Carlsberg in Denmark and it was a true lager but I'm willing to bet it becomes a lesser brew when not brewed in its native land.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart