Page 7 of 131 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757107 ... LastLast

Thread: The New Prog Beer Snob Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Buddhabreath View Post
    Then I guess it's me that has gone tits up and not the craft brewing trend.

I do like an occasional IPA and there are surely some great ones around. I guess my issue is that for my tastes it seems that too many craft brews that I've imbibed lately are over-hopped for my taste and don't have the balance - some even brag about how they are "double" hopped or whatever and yes to each their own tastes for sure. I also agree with the abomination of flavored beers unless it is historic or subtle to give it an edge, an additional complexity or mystery. I once home brewed a stout and splashed some peppermint oil late into the mash with the idea that there would be the slightest aftertaste that would make one go "hmmmmm" that's an interesting subtlety refreshing aftertaste, what is that?" As it turned out it was overpowering and vomitorious and I ended up throwing out about forty filled and labeled bottles just before an acquaintance who tasted the sole surviving bottle said, "I really like that!".

Anyway, thanks for the insight folks.

I like hops, but I like variety, and I agree with you, the crazy Hop Contest, esp. here on the West Coast, has gotten out of control....I see signs it's changing, though.

I was in England last month. Real Ale, pulled from a handpump, smooth and well-balanced.....I miss that stuff. Mind you, I like big beers too, but I'd like to see more sessionable, 4% mild ales, like the ones I had in London.

I primarily drink heavy beers but I always buy a few 5% beers as well, usually straight up stouts. Sometimes you like to have a pint or two and still keep most of your wits about you.... Yesterday for example, I enjoyed one of these while preparing dinner:

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/le-cast...-stout/177440/
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenears View Post

I was in England last month. Real Ale, pulled from a handpump, smooth and well-balanced.....I miss that stuff. Mind you, I like big beers too, but I'd like to see more sessionable, 4% mild ales, like the ones I had in London.
    Most good tap rooms and many breweries have one or two beer engines, where you can enjoy cask conditioned ales.

English Mild is a style I've recently become acquainted with, and it's become one of my favorite styles.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I love a nice Mild, one of the joys of my annual trip back to England is reacquainting myself with English Real Ales, Bitters, Stouts, IPA's (radically different than their American cousins), Ales. Altogether more subtle differences.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Glad to find fellow admirers of the Real Ales, Beer Engines, and the more subtle stuff...though of course some times nothing will do but a Little Sumpin' sumpin' or 600 minute IPA!

In February we'll being going to a wedding reception here:

http://britspub.com/menu/

Which of the Fuller's should I go with?
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Go with the London Pride and the Porter, the Old Speckled Hen is actually my favorite of those
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Agree with all three. Young's Chocolate Stout for dessert!

Haven't had the IPA, but I'd go with the ESB, Old Speckled Hen, and London Pride.

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    Steve, I've been to two breweries that use the type of growler you mentioned (with the porcelain-type cap held on by a side clamp), Troegs in Hershey, PA, and Wachusett here in Massachusetts. You are correct that beer in that type of growler stays fresher longer. They look like they hold more beer than the standard screw-top growler, but that's an illusion.

Speaking of growlers, here in Mass. and above us in New Hampshire, there are laws stating that growlers must have a brewery's name on them and they can only be filled by the brewery with that name on them. While in Pennsylvania, at least at Troegs, they'll fill anyone's growler. "Your money's good here," the receptionist told me.
    Interesting…..I was thinking of starting a thread like this earlier today. The three most obvious that come to my mind are:

Queen: “Innuendo” – The album was written and recorded when Freddie was dying and he knew it. With the exception of the song “Delilah” (about Freddie’s cat) I think it is a pretty amazing album. The song “The Show Must Go On” pretty much sums up Freddie’s attitude and everything that he lived and performed for. It still makes the hairs on my arms rise up when I listen to it, and was the perfect ending to the album. “These Are the Days of Our Lives” is another one that is a swan song from Freddie. It is an amazing song under the circumstances.

Queen: ‘The Miracle” - This one was written and recorded earlier in Freddie’s illness and there still seems to be a ray of hope around some of the songs, especially the title track. The song “Scandal” was written about all the rumors in the press at the time about Freddie being sick and I always interpreted “Was It All Worth It” as a reflection by Freddie on his life.

Warren Zevon: “The Wind” – Zevon knew he had a brief time to write and record this album before he was going to die. It is a moving portrait of a man at the end of his life.

For those of you who are IPA Hop Heads Bell's has set the release party for this year's release of Hopslam (my favorite beer ever from anyone) for January 20th.

I've got some time on my hands this winter, so I made a stop op to my local beer brewing store and picked up a few things to make a nice Porter. First time in about 10 years that I will brew a beer. Really looking forward to this.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Interesting…..I was thinking of starting a thread like this earlier today. The three most obvious that come to my mind are:

Queen: “Innuendo” – The album was written and recorded when Freddie was dying and he knew it. With the exception of the song “Delilah” (about Freddie’s cat) I think it is a pretty amazing album. The song “The Show Must Go On” pretty much sums up Freddie’s attitude and everything that he lived and performed for. It still makes the hairs on my arms rise up when I listen to it, and was the perfect ending to the album. “These Are the Days of Our Lives” is another one that is a swan song from Freddie. It is an amazing song under the circumstances.

Queen: ‘The Miracle” - This one was written and recorded earlier in Freddie’s illness and there still seems to be a ray of hope around some of the songs, especially the title track. The song “Scandal” was written about all the rumors in the press at the time about Freddie being sick and I always interpreted “Was It All Worth It” as a reflection by Freddie on his life.

Warren Zevon: “The Wind” – Zevon knew he had a brief time to write and record this album before he was going to die. It is a moving portrait of a man at the end of his life.
    It's not required to actually be drinking beer while posting in this thread, ya know...lol....
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    For those of you who are IPA Hop Heads Bell's has set the release party for this year's release of Hopslam (my favorite beer ever from anyone) for January 20th.
    I used to think this stuff was the nectar of the gods, and would go out of my way to get a case every year. My opinion of it has gradually lowered over the years, until last year I didn't think it was anything special at all. I'm going to pass on it this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    It's not required to actually be drinking beer while posting in this thread, ya know...lol....

Ummm.......sorry about that. I have no clue how I did that.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I used to think this stuff was the nectar of the gods, and would go out of my way to get a case every year. My opinion of it has gradually lowered over the years, until last year I didn't think it was anything special at all. I'm going to pass on it this year.
    I think when it first came out it was somewhat unique, but a lot of other breweries have caught up with it and put out similar (maybe better) product. I still love it though.

That looks real nice
    Ian

. Magnolia brewing' ruby mild on cask...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "And this is the chorus.....or perhaps it's a bridge...."

Banned

The New Prog Beer Snob Thread

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Go with the London Pride and the Porter, the Old Speckled Hen is actually my favorite of those
    Fullers got me started on ales. Now when it comes to UK beers, I like Bellhaven Scottish Ale.

Probably my favorite English beers

Fullers - Porter
    Timmy Taylor - Landlord
    Mordue - Workie Ticket
    Black Sheep - Bitter
    Sam Smith - Nut Brown Ale
    Theakstons - Old Peculier
    Ian

After work today, I'm going to the tasting room at Night Shift in Everett, Mass., near where I live. They have a pale ale called Whirlpool that is every bit as good as Heady Topper. At half the alcoholic content as Heady Topper some may say Whirlpool's half the fun; I say I can enjoy it twice as much.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

I worked late yesterday with a technician from out of town and afterward we went out to eat dinner. Some reps from Sam Adams were at the restaurant to promote their new Nitro series of beers. Not sure of all the details, but they have a new stout, an IPA, and a white. They only had the white on hand so we got samples of that. Nearly flavorless and totally flat. My boss told the beer girls that it reminded him of beer he had back in his college days that had been sitting around too long. We did get some cool bottle opener key chains out of it though...
    <sig out of order>

Theakston's OP is one of all-time faves as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "And this is the chorus.....or perhaps it's a bridge...."

I rarely get any UK imports now, but these are the faves I can recall, mostly from the early 90s, in no order:

Theakston's Old Peculier
    Young's Oatmeal Stout
    Shepherd's Neame Bishop's Finger
    Samuel Smith Anniversary Ale
    Whitbread Ale
    Mackeson's Stout
    Harviestoun Old Engine Oil
    Fuller's ESB
    Young's Old Nick