Page 77 of 131 FirstFirst ... 276773747576777879808187127 ... LastLast
Results 1,901 to 1,925 of 3255

Thread: The New Prog Beer Snob Thread

In Tampa and stopped at Angry Chair. I tried 7 of their beers---2 IPAs, Red Ale, Strong Ale, BA Barleywine, Imperial Porter and an Imperial Stout. I've never been to a place before where I liked every one of their beers but it happened here.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    There is Hopslam in my house! I repeat, there is Hopslam in my house!
    I had a draft Hopslam from the Glory Days restaurant near BWI airport on Tuesday, delish👍

Banned
    Budweiser made a big deal in Super Bowl commercials about the fact that Miller Coors brews with corn syrup. What a distortion, Bud is brewed with rice. Mainstream domestic brews use corn and rice to mellow the taste of American barley malt. American barley has higher protein than Euro barley, and a stronger taste. As to how much residual sugar is in beer is up to the brewery. The objective is to ferment sugar to alcohol. I wonder if craft beers use American barley malt too.

Banned
    Actually, here is the American barley story and how it relates to corn and rice used in domestic brew.
    https://beerandbrewing.com/barleys-sixth-sense

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    Budweiser made a big deal in Super Bowl commercials about the fact that Miller Coors brews with corn syrup. What a distortion, Bud is brewed with rice. Mainstream domestic brews use corn and rice to mellow the taste of American barley malt. American barley has higher protein than Euro barley, and a stronger taste. As to how much residual sugar is in beer is up to the brewery. The objective is to ferment sugar to alcohol. I wonder if craft beers use American barley malt too.
    I didn't watch the super bowl or its commercials, but I heard about this later in what passes for "news," probably because Miller Coors whined loud enough for the news media to hear them and their wallets (What, me cynical?). There is a local restaurant that lists their fairly large beer selection on their menu, each one followed by a description, such as IPA, or lager, or porter, or stout. The mass produced American beers and the Mexican beers, are all described as adjunct beers. I think adjunct means unmalted grains used in brewing (corn, rice, rye, oats, barley, and wheat) to supplement malted barley. I think it's funny they are quibbling over their adjuncts, when a few years ago one American mass brewer (I forgot which one) had omnipresent commercials deriding the bitterness of real beers, as though the object of brewing was to create sweet soda pop and not beer. Hops are bitter. If you don't like them, don't drink beer. Or drink BudMillerCoors swill. It's hard to find anything in the US not made with corn syrup. Yo Ho, Yo Ho, Reinheitsgebot for me.

Interesting article about the barley.

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    I think adjunct means unmalted grains used in brewing (corn, rice, rye, oats, barley, and wheat) to supplement malted barley.
    You misspelled "added junk."

Banned
    Wild selection, the Dogfish Strong has quite the burn at 18%.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    The Hopslam is pretty good this year, round and less hot than last year, the Narragansett is my wife's go to lager.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

How the hell do you guys get these large images to post? PE always denies me the privilege.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    How the hell do you guys get these large images to post? PE always denies me the privilege.
    same here
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    same here
    Same here, I can never get it to work.

^ Uncheck the box that says something about remote image or some such.

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post

Have you noticed that beer names are getting longer and longer. No more Busch Beer, Ballantine Ale; now we have RAR Blacker the Berry India Pale Ale, and that's before they spell out RAR.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

didn't see any box to uncheck

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    didn't see any box to uncheck
    Did you upload your own image from your computer, or post an image on the web via image URL? You need to do the latter when you can. Uploading your own results in a thumbnail, iirc.

Find image on web that you want to post>right click and select "copy image address">open image box on PE>left click to set cursor in URL window (long rectangular box)>right click and select "paste" or whatever it is>unclick Show Remote image box or whatever>click OK box

I think I got it

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez
    Have you noticed that beer names are getting longer and longer. No more Busch Beer, Ballantine Ale; now we have RAR Blacker the Berry India Pale Ale, and that's before they spell out RAR.
    The names are getting ridiculously long. Will people go back to drinking shitty mass-produced beers just because they are easier to order? I don't know what "RAR" is. In fact, none of the beers on that long menu are available around my neck of the woods. Not that I can't find good beers here. Just not the same ones.

The names are getting ridiculously long. Will people go back to drinking shitty mass-produced beers just because they are easier to order? I don't know what "RAR" is. In fact, none of the beers on that long menu are available around my neck of the woods. Not that I can't find good beers here. Just not the same ones.
    Realerevival (RAR)

Not that I can't find good beers here. Just not the same ones.
    Drink local.

Drinking local is both easier and safer. Some of the things on the above menu sound more like desserts than thirst quenchers. Couldn't I just have a beer with a pie, instead?

Banned
    Drinking local is both easier and safer. Some of the things on the above menu sound more like desserts than thirst quenchers. Couldn't I just have a beer with a pie, instead?
    The Heavy Seas Single Cannon which is based purely on Citra hops is a simple delicious beer, and may make you think of lemon meringue pie, or lemon haze cannabis��

I have had some single hop beers and really liked them.

For those of you who like NEIPA style, Bell's is going to start canning their first one called "Bell's Official" soon. The made the first batch of this at the brewery last year for a limited on tap only release and it is really good. The beer is not super hazy, but has a lot of flavor. I assume it will be distributed in all of their regular places.