Page 74 of 131 FirstFirst ... 246470717273747576777884124 ... LastLast
Results 1,826 to 1,850 of 3255

Thread: The New Prog Beer Snob Thread

Good thing it's not brewed south of the Mason-Dixon line, or it'd be a grits coffee stout.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    And pancake batter.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Apparently its an oatmeal coffee stout so you're both right!
    yes, of course one can blend the different styles of Stout in various ways. I recently picked up a Sweet(milk)/Oatmeal/Coffee Stout and haven't tasted it yet but I imagine the dominant flavor will be coffee

Sweet Stout is usually made with lactose sugars and so is also called Milk Stout BTW
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Apparently its an oatmeal coffee stout so you're both right!
    Awesome!

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    yes, of course one can blend the different styles of Stout in various ways. I recently picked up a Sweet(milk)/Oatmeal/Coffee Stout and haven't tasted it yet but I imagine the dominant flavor will be coffee

Sweet Stout is usually made with lactose sugars and so is also called Milk Stout BTW
    Why in the hell would anyone add milk to beer? I don't even put that cow juice in my coffee. Or on my oatmeal.

it is the lactose sugars that are extracted from milk

from allaboutbeer:
    "Marketing sweet stouts as nutritional was a great way in the late 1800s to garner interest, but lactose did not provide the promised nutritive value. Eventually, this hollow claim fell under scrutiny of British authorities, who mandated in 1946 that milk had to be stricken from the label as misleading. But brewers, ever the cagey, gave their brews names suggesting images of cream, milkmaids and dairies. Brewers outside the English mainland are under no such restrictions today, and lactose-enhanced brews made elsewhere, including America and even some of the British maritime islands, can be called milk stouts. American brewers have been at the forefront of reviving them.

The original Mackeson’s Milk Stout had a gravity of 1.054, roughly the same as the milk stout that brewers in North America make today. Between the world wars, British beer styles saw a significant drop in alcoholic strength across the board because of taxation and rationing. Mackeson’s dipped to 3.8 percent ABV, as it remains today. Savvy brewers took this opportunity to devise the low-gravity, highly flavorful brews that have helped sustain pub culture in Britain. Milk stouts proved to be a very popular style of beer in the first half of the 20th century and energized a preference for sweeter stouts in England. And while Irish stouts may sell better worldwide, it is the sweeter stouts that are more desired by craft beer lovers today. Of course, lactose is but one strategy that can be employed to craft a beer of sustained sweetness. Crystal malt in generous quantities will give the same effect but has an entirely different flavor. The milky, burnt-sugar flavor unique to milk stout is unmistakable and undeniable."
    Last edited by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER; 12-07-2018 at 11:45 PM.
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    it is the lactose sugars that are extracted from milk

from allaboutbeer:
    "Marketing sweet stouts as nutritional was a great way in the late 1800s to garner interest, but lactose did not provide the promised nutritive value. Eventually, this hollow claim fell under scrutiny of British authorities, who mandated in 1946 that milk had to be stricken from the label as misleading. But brewers, ever the cagey, gave their brews names suggesting images of cream, milkmaids and dairies. Brewers outside the English mainland are under no such restrictions today, and lactose-enhanced brews made elsewhere, including America and even some of the British maritime islands, can be called milk stouts. American brewers have been at the forefront of reviving them.

The original Mackeson’s Milk Stout had a gravity of 1.054, roughly the same as the milk stout that brewers in North America make today. Between the world wars, British beer styles saw a significant drop in alcoholic strength across the board because of taxation and rationing. Mackeson’s dipped to 3.8 percent ABV, as it remains today. Savvy brewers took this opportunity to devise the low-gravity, highly flavorful brews that have helped sustain pub culture in Britain. Milk stouts proved to be a very popular style of beer in the first half of the 20th century and energized a preference for sweeter stouts in England. And while Irish stouts may sell better worldwide, it is the sweeter stouts that are more desired by craft beer lovers today. Of course, lactose is but one strategy that can be employed to craft a beer of sustained sweetness. Crystal malt in generous quantities will give the same effect but has an entirely different flavor. The milky, burnt-sugar flavor unique to milk stout is unmistakable and undeniable."
    Not a huge fan of this style, but Bell's makes a very nice Milk Stout. I don't think they have ever bottled / canned it, but I have had it on tap at the brewery.

Oh man, I love a good milk stout.

one of the best Sweet(Milk) Stouts we've had is from an American who lives and brews in Japan under the name Hitachino Nest brewery. Their Sweet Stout is fabulous! Also, the original Sweet Stout, Mackeson's is still brewed today and it makes for a nice novelty drink now and then.

Milkshake IPAs are popping up on the shelves quite a bit around here. The latest thing?

Milkshake IPAs are popping up on the shelves quite a bit around here. The latest thing?
    Ask Daniel Day Lewis.

There is a problem when marketing milk stout as another variety of stout. People who are lactose intolerant may fall ill after consuming the lactose. People who are severely allergic to dairy might die. No one really expects any beer to contain a dairy product. One local brewery had an oatmeal stout that they renamed milk stout, probably to avoid this very confusion/potential lawsuit.

Drinking a KBS, carry on...

Quote Originally Posted by philsunset View Post
    Drinking a KBS, carry on...
    An excellent choice, Bob. You just can't go wrong there.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Resilience IPA, brewed by Sierra Nevada to benefit the people who lost everything in the fire at Paradise, California, is now available on tap in my town. A local brewpub promised it on the 10th, and they delivered. I will have one ASAP.

Had me a Resilience IPA from the tap. Fantastic. Sierra Nevada Brewing Company knows its way around an IPA, and this is one of their best. I'd rank this amber brew near their Celebration Ale (winter seasonal IPA). I asked the local brewer about it and was told Sierra Nevada provided the brewing recipe and all the ingredients. I like being able to help out fire victims just by having a beer. As I walked to the pub, the footprints I left were not carbon ones. I'm here to tell you that the beer is good, the price is reasonable ($5/pint, locally, compared with $6 to $7 for their other drafts), and you may be thirsty right about now. Enjoy!

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Went the the IPA Fest in Boston Seaport district, excellent evening of fun, sampled the following:-

Brix City - Heady Jams 8.5%
    Clown Shoes - Leviathan 11%
    El Segundo - Hammerland 8.6%
    Hoof Hearted - I Wanna Be A Cowboy Too 5.5%
    Hoof Hearted - Key Bump 10.5%
    Lawsons - Triple Sunshine 10.3%
    Lord Hobo - DDH Boomsauce 7.8%
    Magnify - Reserved 10.5%
    Sand City - Infinity Minus ONE + 2 8.2%
    Sand City - Up The Beach 8.5%
    Singlecut - Triple Whammy! 11%
    Sixpoint - Grunge Wolf 8%
    The Alchemist - Focal Banger 7%
    The Alchemist - Heady Topper 8%
    Weldwerks - Juicy Bits 6.7%
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Of the breweries you list, I have only seen El Segundo beers here in the west, which makes sense, as El Segundo is in Los Angeles County, California. I envy you going to an IPA fest.

I've had the Lord Hobo, in fact I've got some in the beer cellar, and it's excellent. I've had other IPAs from Hoof Hearted, but not those. The ones I've had were outstanding. And I've had the Heady Topper, also excellent. If the rest of the roster is even close to these, it must have been a great festival.

Had my first Bell's Third Coast Old Ale last night. Yum.
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

Had a world-class creamy Irish Stout from Pasteur St. Brewing, smack in the center of Ho Chi Minh City the other day, while the entire country of Vietnam celebrated defeating Malaysia in soccer.

As if you didn’t already know that.

Belly up to the bar
    Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. launches beer for a massive Camp Fire fundraiser

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    Had me a Resilience IPA from the tap. Fantastic. Sierra Nevada Brewing Company knows its way around an IPA, and this is one of their best. I'd rank this amber brew near their Celebration Ale (winter seasonal IPA). I asked the local brewer about it and was told Sierra Nevada provided the brewing recipe and all the ingredients. I like being able to help out fire victims just by having a beer. As I walked to the pub, the footprints I left were not carbon ones. I'm here to tell you that the beer is good, the price is reasonable ($5/pint, locally, compared with $6 to $7 for their other drafts), and you may be thirsty right about now. Enjoy!
    Bell's just released their version of it yesterday. Not sure if they are just going to have it on tap at the brewery or if it will distributed. Several other breweries in the area are also making it.

NHB-HiResBeerProductPageImagesWeb1-Poet.jpg

"The Poet" (with a nod to Poe's Raven), a really creamy and smooth oatmeal stout from New Holland Brewing of Holland, MI. I put it up there with the many fine stouts Founders Brewing Co. makes in Grand Rapids. Damn, does Michigan have some fine breweries!
    "And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

Having a Kuhnhenn Dripa in an can. I like it better on tap but this is darn good.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dark Elf View Post
    NHB-HiResBeerProductPageImagesWeb1-Poet.jpg

"The Poet" (with a nod to Poe's Raven), a really creamy and smooth oatmeal stout from New Holland Brewing of Holland, MI. I put it up there with the many fine stouts Founders Brewing Co. makes in Grand Rapids. Damn, does Michigan have some fine breweries!
    Michigan, Ohio, Wisconsin and... Oregon are my favorite brew states