Page 71 of 131 FirstFirst ... 216167686970717273747581121 ... LastLast
Results 1,751 to 1,775 of 3255

Thread: The New Prog Beer Snob Thread

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    Wow, just about everything about this seems vile. Citrus and passion fruit? Pairing with ghost pepper sauce says just about everything you need to know.

Next thing you know, they'll suggest scraping your taste buds with a razor blade while drinking.

I think I'm getting over the busy beer thing. I had some kind of black pumpkin porter recently. Not that it was bad, there was just too much going on for me. It is like brewers are trying recreate that Willy Wonka chewing gum that gives you a four-course meal, only in a bottle. I know for many it is the journey and not the destination, but I came here for a beer. If wanted a fruit salad, I'd order a fruit salad.

That being said, I've enjoyed my local's Festbier, a maltier spin on their excellent pilsner. My perennial favorite from Oregon, Rogue Pumpkin Patch Ale, has dropped. I bought liberally of that, and look forward to cracking into it this weekend.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

^^^
    It depends on the occasion.
    If its to go with food, or as a refreshment when you are thirsty I agree, but as a treat I love when its an explosion of tastes.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    I'm not a fan of flavored beers either, but I occasionally make an exception for something that primarily taste like beer. This was my choice for last night's world series game:

Sagebrush and juniper, the scents and flavors of the Eastern Sierra. Not so dominant that it inspires your tongue to say, "WTF?"

Quote Originally Posted by notallwhowander
    Wow, just about everything about this seems vile. Citrus and passion fruit?
    Don't believe the hype. Try the beer. I did. Doesn't taste fruity at all, to me. Tastes hoppy, as something at 90 IBU should.

I agree with you that the flavored beer thing is getting out of hand. I don't object to the brewers making them, as long as it's not their flagship ale. I wish brewpubs and liquor stores would put the flavored beers together in a separate section of the menu or fridge, so I don't have to wade through them while looking for something more beerlike. Reminds me of the silly flavors of vodka they have been putting out for the last several years: lemon, lime, lemon-lime, orange, tangerine, grapefruit, raspberry, strawberry, blueberry, teaberry, vanilla, black currant, chili pepper, cherry, apple, green apple, cinnamon, coffee, chocolate, cranberry, peach, pear, passion fruit, pomegranate, plum, mango, white grape, banana, pineapple, coconut, mint, melon, rose, herbs, bacon, honey, cinnamon, kiwifruit, whipped cream, tea, root beer, caramel, marshmallow. Tell me they aren't encouraging kids to drink. I have not been tempted to try even one of those.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Busy beer - busy prog. Multiple ‘tricky’ time signatures in 15-minute five-part pieces based loosely upon Indian ragas and performed with three oboes and a gamelan troupe equals triple-dry hopped durian Baltic gose.

I like clean lines and simplicity - thoughtful simplicity, maintaining the depth to sustain its audience whether on the tenth listen or on the tenth glass.

True prog beer:
    http://allaboutbeer.com/article/lagu...r-zappa-beers/

How many types did they make ?

I still have the Freak Out !

My recent stock-up from a trip to the Twin Cities. I didn't have much time to search out any exotics so I went with my tried and true:

https://jeroljohnson.wordpress.com/2...dge-fall-2018/
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Sipping on a Founders Curmudgeon's Better Half. It's an Old Ale brewed with molasses and aged in maple syrup bourbon barrels. Over time, I've come to the realization that although I like bourbon, I'm not a fan of beers aged in bourbon barrels. However, the maple and molasses adds a nice flavor twist that mutes the bourbon. Is it sweet? Well, yeah, but the sweetness doesn't beat you over the head. Recommended.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    That does sound good.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar

Like that, only in a 24 oz bottle.

Banned

The New Prog Beer Snob Thread

I noticed we have these mini kegs at Total Wine MD:

Bell's makes mini kegs of Oberon, Best Brown, Hopslam, Two Hearted and several others off and on. The Oberon might be getting a bit long in the tooth though, as they stop making it around the end of the summer. I once had Larry Bell tell me that if you saw Oberon in a store after December 1st not to buy it because it would be too old. On the other hand they do make it year round for Florida and Arizona so in those states it is still fresh in the winter.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I once had Larry Bell tell me that if you saw Oberon in a store after December 1st not to buy it because it would be too old. On the other hand they do make it year round for Florida and Arizona so in those states it is still fresh in the winter.
    I always suspected as much, but nice to have it from the horse's mouth (once removed). I have 3 or 4 cans left in the fridge - better get cracking!
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

Quote Originally Posted by proggy_jazzer View Post
    I always suspected as much, but nice to have it from the horse's mouth (once removed). I have 3 or 4 cans left in the fridge - better get cracking!
    We went to a dinner party thing at some friends house a few years ago in January. He offers me an Oberon, which I drank, but it at turned for the worse and I could hardly choke it down. I think it lasts a bit better in cans than bottles, but with Oberon fresher is better.

I tend to favor stouts and porters. The blacker, the better; oatmeal stouts, mocha stouts, etc.

Any good rec's?

They just opened a new beer store across the road from my apartment, this could be trouble

Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by IncogNeato View Post
    I tend to favor stouts and porters. The blacker, the better; oatmeal stouts, mocha stouts, etc.

Any good rec's?
    I am a Stout/Porter freak and I've been doing double blind taste tests with my wife (who is also a fan of the darks) and there is ONE Stout that, in our dozens of taste tests, has never seen an equal. Mad River Brewing - Steelhead Extra Stout is the Stout of all Stouts... so far
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

I'll keep an eye out for it, I've had a lot of great stouts over the years.
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    A damn fine IIPA/Barley Wine crossover, and maybe my favorite from them.
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    I'll keep an eye out for it, I've had a lot of great stouts over the years.
    one thing about it...

they do not skimp on ingredients, so there is a thick sediment on the bottom of each bottle
    Try it both ways...
    1. decant slowly leaving the sediment in the bottle
    2. decant all but the last ounce, then swish the last ounce around in the bottle vigorously and pour the last ounce on top of the first 11

we tend to like the sediment when dissolved and mixed in, but it tastes fine even if you leave the sediment in the bottom
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Yeah, I'm a sediment in guy.

My favorite Stout/Porter is probably one of

Brouwerij de Molen - Fire, Flood & Plague
    Trillium - PM Dawn
    Evil Twin - Even More Jesus
    Founders - Kentucky Breakfast Stout
    Clown Shoes - Exorcism Of Rachel Wall
    Ian

the Steelhead is a regular Stout

when we do our double-blind tests we never mix styles so there's:
    Stout
    Oatmeal Stout
    Sweet/Milk Stout
    Coffee Stout
    Chocolate Stout
    Imperial Stout

there is a current champ for each style

Quote Originally Posted by IncogNeato View Post

Any good rec's?
    For Chocolate Stouts, my favorite by some margin is Thirsty Dog Rise Of Mayan Dog. It's quite spectacular.

For stout lovers Founders just released a new batch of Canadian Breakfast Stout last week. As always it is a limited release, and quite expensive, but great stuff if you can find it.

Troubadour Westkust (Belgian)
    My favorite dark beer, not exactly a stout but brewed by The Musketeers as an IPA - Imperial / Double.

http://www.themusketeers.be/troubado...coast/?lang=en

Regular Stouts I'd go with

Trillium Pot & Kettle
    Kelsen Draken Robust
    Sam Smiths Taddy Porter
    Night Shift Awake
    Ian